Walking Dead on AMC (part 3)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

SPOILERS

Good observations.. It should also be pointed out that it appeared that the kid died and turned in the middle of the night.. When everyone else is still asleep in their cells.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I thought it was a good season debut episode, portending a lot of doom...

It's not clear if the threat from inside will come from the kid who turned zombie eating/infecting a large portion of the population before anyone figures out what has happened, or whether he contracted a disease that is going to infect many others...and everyone will have to sleep in locked cages (not hard in a prison) or with one eye open.

What's the deal with the black "medic"? Seems he's somehow up to no good.

3. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Pretty much the same every week. See Zombie, kill Zombie & run.

Ghostworld likes this.
  4. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Since Glenn isn't wearing his baseball cap, do I have to stop calling him "Short Round?"

Bewaremylove likes this.
  5. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Season 1 was about Rick coming to grips with a world full of Zombies, trying to find his family and find safety.
    Once Rick's group came together, Season 2 was about internal conflict among the group.
    Once the group got it together, Season 3 was about Rick's group versus the Governor.

What will be the main conflict that drives Season 4? Each past season has taken a few episodes to introduce us to the new elements that drive the storyline for that season (the farmhouse, the governor). The title credits for this season look like last year's and highlight the prison. Will the prison remain the main setting for Season 4? Will Daryl and Carol ever get together? Now that Rick is a widower, might Rick and Michonne get together? How did that teenage boy with glasses get the pig's sickness? Why is D'Angelo Barksdale at the prison?

6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

You beat me to it. D'Angelo doesn't do too well in prisons, if memory serves... :cool:

googlymoogly and trem two like this.
  7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

This show always tends to start off slow...

Great scene with Rick and the woman....

Her answering the 3 questions really hit hard..... That was great writing!!!!

dead of night likes this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm struggling to even complete the third season. The show is written terribly at this point. So little tension, it's not funny. 'The governor' was a complete mistep. MAYBE if they had someone like Christopher Walken as the governor it might have made things interesting, but that actor has no real dimension. And the switch of the character's threat being the 'great unknown' of the disease to becoming a simple man0-a-mano scenerio, well, 'the governor' generates about the same excitement as a 'boss from hell' confrontation. Overall, where the show was once kinetic and exciting, it's now molasses-paced. And since everyone has become such an efficient zombie killer, even their appearance doesn't generate any excitement. THUNK, SWACK, SMUSH. There goes another zombie head. Zzzzzz. I think this is going to go down in television history as a mere burp. The first two season were quite good. It's been downhill ever since.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, they should have brought in Christopher Walken as a former Broadway song and dance man. They could have given him the quirk that he preceded every meeting with a few dance steps. Always wearing a smoking jacket. And of course they would have had to license Hackensack from Fountains of Wayne. I think that would have worked.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'd settle for that. Any kind of quirk except for the occasionally-glimpsed scowl of evil might have brought scenes alive better than that piece of wood they cast. And I can barely stand Sheriff Rick, anymore. He's another actor with about one trick in his bag. His favorite: Listen intently with your head cocked to one side, grinding your molars, and not looking at the other actor as they speak -- and then turn toward the camera and glare for dramatic effect. Every damn scene....

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

This would have been a great post....a Season ago.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

Great show last night! A nice opening...looking forward to the rest! It just goes by too fast! They should have a 2 hour season premiere. 43 minutes is just not enough.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

in order to save you pain and suffering in Zombieland you should not watch it any longer.:) One does not need any extra stress these days.
    I can related... I HATED LOST, but I continued watching it. A big mistake on my part...I want those wasted hours I spent back during those years the show was on!

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  14. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

image.jpg My wife caught this - the woman Rick meets in the woods, covered in dirt, grime and mud, was played by Kerry Condon who, when cleaned up, looked like this as Octavia on HBO's Rome. Interestingly, not credited on IMDB for her role on this week's WD episode.

15. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

Wow! She shines up like a new penny!

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

No. That's not why. ;)

trem two and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  17. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I wish they had a veterinarian to look at the pig...but I guess that scene might be coming soon!

JimC and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  18. Meltdown

Meltdown Forum Resident

Hershel was a vet pre-zompocalypse.

19. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I know. I was being sarcastic.

dead of night likes this.
  20. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Weren't they talking about this scenario a couple of seasons ago, where the virus will mutate and eventually turn people into zombies even before they're dead?

The new conflict isn't an outside source, but their own bodies. I look forward to seeing how they're going to handle it.

21. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Daryl: "He's Korean!"

22. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I wonder if there's any sort of over-arching plan for this series. I'm aware of the fact that the comic series is basically open-ended, but I can't see that working or being sustainable for a TV show without completely running it into the ground after a while. The fourth season is beginning and I still see no over-arching plot other than survival, with no end-game in sight.

JimC likes this.
  23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Probably an alcoholic. His inability to just walk past the wine aisle and do what they were there to do got a guy killed, and he knows it.

I thought it was a very good season premier. Some great gore effects. I liked the walker who got skewered on the wooden spike when Rick and Carl opened the gate for Michonne's horse.

Nice catch! I've watched Rome through a few times and really liked Kerry Condon on there, but didn't spot her through the grime.

I think that's his method for keeping his British accent from surfacing.

I don't think it turned him into a zombie before he was dead. He died in the shower and came back as a zombie. You don't have to be bitten. He could have died of an anneurysm or some other illness. He was obviously sick from something, and I agree, the pig and the zombie with the blood runny eyes are probably symptoms of the same.

I can't believe people are still making this complaint. That's the comic. That's the TV show. No end. Obviously both will come to some end at some point, but they're designed to go on and on. If you need to see a horizon you're heading for, this isn't the show for you. Apparently viewers haven't tired of it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  24. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I think the new characters are a breath of fresh air. I'd really enjoy meeting new characters every week and seeing how they interact with the old, faithful.

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Robert Kirkman said it's influenza. Similar to the one that killed so many people before.

Great acting by that woman in the woods. I honestly thought she was a zombie before she started talking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.