Walmart color vinyl

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Tjazz, Jan 24, 2021.

1. theycallmemitch

theycallmemitch Forum Resident

Someone on reddit vinyl deals says their store has a bunch of $15 albums and a sign up. Seems to be a major YMMV based on the comments. Vinyl Walmart $15 OP there says they are in in rural California according to their comments, Galt, CA to be exact.

2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

So I picked up a copy of the Montrose album at Walmart over the weekend. It was not on sale, but heard it is a collectors item!

3. What is the sound quality like? Thanks.

4. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Mine sounds great. Listened to it on headphones and then cranked it when no one was home. I like that it covers the first 4 albums. I had only ever heard the debut and Paper Money and the other songs were pretty good too.

CryptoSurfer and tkl7 like this.
  5. Thanks Mike. One of my local Walmarts has a copy in stock. I will pick it up next time I'm there.

MikeInFla likes this.
  6. Mickactual

Mickactual Humble indie rock musician

Is it just me or...
    It seems Walmart has significantly scaled back their vinyl exclusive releases. I don't care about Now Playing or Icon compilations, and I have even less interest in the glut of K-Pop they (and Target) are releasing. But the classic rock catalog titles seem to be disappearing. That, coupled with no all-vinyl-for-$15 BF sale, has been a massive letdown. :thumbsdow

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
    MikeInFla, CryptoSurfer and liquifury like this.
  7. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

My guess is 2024 there will be a ton less of vinyl , they've outpriced too many customers . pressed titles that didn't need it etc.
    Just think of all the vinyl titles that ended up in the $10 & $5 piles some within weeks ......... the last 6 months it's been heavy unloading ............ The vinyl market has become like buying tickets , they start with insane high pricing & slowly back it off .
    I can say i've bought MUCH less due to this over the past year .

8. I don't buy any of the 'Icon' comps, and have no plans to do so in the future. They are digital transfers to vinyl priced at nearly $30, which to me is a total joke. I'd rather just buy the CD version for less than half the price, and in some cases for as low as $5. I cut way back on my Walmart purchases in 2023, mostly because there wasn't much that interested me. Hopefully 2024 will be a better year.

Mickactual and Davidmk5 like this.
  9. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I do have the Frank Sinatra Christmas Icon on vinyl. Picked it up for $8 in July. Sounds good to me for $8. Sometimes, if you find a Christmas record in the summer, they are discounted. Also picked up Bing “White Christmas” that same day, also $8.

Tjazz, Davidmk5 and CryptoSurfer like this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

If you're relying on walmart to carry records, then you should probably get used to being let down.

11. Biittner Hair Flyin'

Biittner Hair Flyin' Comfortably Dumb

Because they have apparently had the 2021 Metallica exclusive colored vinyl albums re-pressed multiple times (the first five albums plus Hardwired) and most of those are still available for regular prices on Walmart's website, I assume they will have the five 2022 exclusive colored vinyl albums (Load, Reload, St. Anger, Death Magnetic, Garage Inc.) re-pressed before too long.

12. Big Dicfoot

Big Dicfoot "Dodgy Solderer" Bigsley Richford

FWIW, I bought a couple copies of Boston blue vinyl a year or so ago and returned both because of terrible surface noise on only one side. Seemed they came off the same press.

Then a month ago decided to give it another shot to see if anything changed.

Yes indeed it did. Big change.

The first copies were light blue and opaque while the new one is a dark transparent blue.

And the new press sounds absolutely great, highly recommended. It looks a lot like the 2017 Friday Music release here:

https://i.discogs.com/FF5r00aywzwq7...ExMDg4/NTgwLTE1MDk4MjQw/NDQtOTI3OC5qcGVn.jpeg

I have the black vinyl Friday Music one and it is excellent also.

The bad one's from a year ago were this color:

https://i.discogs.com/HDUoUYCdVKC6X...I2NzA0/NDk5LTE2ODM5MjU1/MTctNzM2MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Tjazz, CryptoSurfer and MikeInFla like this.
  13. theycallmemitch

theycallmemitch Forum Resident

Did it still show the Flame Blue sticker on the outside shown here or something different? Boston (Walmart Exclusive Flame Blue Vinyl) - Rock LP (Sony Legacy) - Walmart.com

CryptoSurfer and MikeInFla like this.
  14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I have the "bad" one, that I bought new a month or so ago, and I have no noise problem.

CryptoSurfer likes this.
  15. Big Dicfoot

16. Big Dicfoot

That is good to hear. Side one on both of my earlier copies had grating static noise with every rotation. 3/4 of the side quiet and 1/4 static. Really irritating. Must of been a bad batch.

17. I have the original Walmart exclusive of Boston 'S/T' that came out a couple of years ago. Last Friday I was at Walmart and I saw a copy (and bought it), of Boston 'S/T' on the rack, but I noticed the 'sticker' was slightly different. It was the same color of blue (but just a little bit darker), but there were no circular black rings on the record, like the one from two years ago has. The new Walmart sticker also does not have the '$19.97' price called out just below the 'Flame Blue Vinyl' blurb. So the absence of the black rings on the record, and the '$19.97' price on the Walmart sticker might be the indicator of the new pressing vs the old pressing. Just a thought.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    Big Dicfoot likes this.
  18. Big Dicfoot

19. I just noticed the sticker no longer says "Limited Edition" at the top.

Tjazz and Big Dicfoot like this.
  20. Big Dicfoot

It's kind of interesting with the vinyl color on my new copy not matching the cover art flame blue. Would be interesting to know if both colors are currently being issued simultaneously.

What I do know is my new copy sounds absolutely great. Probably a digital copy but so are all my recent MoFi digital vinyls that also sound fantastic.

MikeInFla and CryptoSurfer like this.
  21. My guess is that the 'Old' Flame Blue vinyl has been replaced with the 'New' Flame Blue vinyl. I haven't listened to my new copy I bought last week, but my old 'Flame Blue' vinyl copy from a couple of years ago sounds great to me. Very quiet as well.

MikeInFla and Big Dicfoot like this.
  22. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Had to do some WalMart shopping last night in NJ and browsed the vinyl section while there. Ton's of WalMart exclusives (I was surprised at how many "smaller" artists had their own exclusives) but prices were ridiculous...$29.99 for Steve Miller's Greatest hits for example...I'm really surprised there was no $15 Black Friday Sale this year and that they don't have a clearance section for the titles that are slow movers....

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I flipped through the Walmart vinyl last night - what a pathetic mess of well over-priced junk. Oh well.

24. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Why are people still surprised there was no $15 Black Friday sale? They looked at data from last year and see that they lost on it (I'm assuming they did), even for a huge corporation like them. They have more and more exclusives coming out, so it looks like they are really riding high on the vinyl market at this time.

I was of the thinking it was just an "add on" for them; like something they just lured people in with to maybe go to other departments. Maybe it's still like that, but I think they see how this physical media is selling and they were like "um, perhaps we won't make a $45 MSRP set $15".

I think it was a one-time deal and if you scored a bunch of stuff you liked/wanted it was a great deal for you. Until vinyl is on the downturn, which I don't think it will be.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  25. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I think they do clearance them but I'm not sure how they monitor or do it. They usually have a big yellow tag on them.