Wandavision / Marvel MCU on Disney+

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 22, 2021.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

No, it exists. There's even a highway sign for it as we see in episode 4.

Dr. Pepper, GentleSenator and rcsrich like this.
  2. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

The first couple of episodes were just plain weird. The past couple of episodes saved it..

3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Don't suppose I could skip any episodes and jump in at #4, eh?

4. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

There are three points you could start at 1, 3, or 4, but I would suggest starting at 1 in that it's an interesting journey. If you just want a little flavor of the sitcom start of the thing then you could start at episode 3, and if you simply want to step in as a more traditional Marvel story then you could just go straight to 4.

twicks likes this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

It's the only show in memory where my wife, my son (20), daughter (22), sister in-law, brother In-law (mid 40s), their daughter (13), and myself (56) can all sit down and enjoy the same show together we have watched ever episode so far as a Friday get together each week, and that alone is so beyond cool. We all love it so far and think the concept is interesting for all of us, one mean feat there! Anyway the whole Marvel/Disney team would be delighted at seeing all of us enjoy there show together! It reminds me of my whole family back in the 1960s and 1970s all sitting down together every Sunday night for years and years to watch The Wonderful World of Disney together.

Oh, and if you want to hear my podcast where my friends and family discuss each episode, below are the links.

WandaVision Podcast 2021-01-16 (01) First Episode 1950s Sitcom (Bob, Jim, Matt, Buck)

WandaVision Podcast 2021-01-16 (02) Second Episode 1960s Sitcom (Bob, Jim, Matt, Buck)

WandaVision Podcast 2021-01-30 (03) Third Episode 1970s Sitcom (Bob, Jim, Buck)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  6. BeatleJWOL

Is this where we start the Wandavision Machete Order concept? Start with episode 4 and go back and watch 1, 2 and 3 at some point in between later episodes? :p

(for those unfamiliar, Machete Order is where you watch the original Star Wars trilogy and use the prequel trilogy as a flashback before the final act)

7. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I don't have Disney+ but I don't know if Disney would maintain the dark and violent tone of those three Netflix series, especially on Punisher. But yeah, all three shows you mentioned are sorely missed.

8. Dr. Pepper

After WandaVision concludes there will be a few week break then Falcon Winter Soldier miniseries will begin, then when that concludes there will be another few weeks break then the Loki miniseries will take us into the summer.

WandaVision
    Network: Disney+

Premiere Date: January 15, 2021

Cast: Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany, Kathryn Hahn, Randall Park, Kat Dennings, and Teyonah Parris.

Number of Episodes: 9

What We Know So Far: The announcement of this one confused many since Paul Bettany’s Vision is still dead by the end of Avengers: Endgame, but speculation has run rampant that this series will at least partially take place in Scarlet Witch’s mind, as she’s manifested a dream-family version of her life with Vision in the 1950s-esque household. Feige has said that this series will lead directly into the film sequel Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, in which Olsen will co-star alongside Benedict Cumberbatch, and WandaVision will explore the relationship between Scarlet Witch and Vision as it also pays homage to television genres going back to the 1950s.

Teyonah Parris will play an adult version of the character Monica Rambeau from Captain Marvel, Kathryn Hahn will play a “nosy neighbor,” and Randall Park and Kat Dennings will be reprising their MCU roles as Jimmy Woo (Ant-Man and the Wasp) and Darcy Lewis (the Thor movies), respectively. Jac Schaeffer, a co-writer on the Black Widow movie and Captain Marvel, serves as showrunner while Matt Shakman (Game of Thrones, The Great) directs.

Want to Know More?: Click here

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Premiere Date: March 19, 2021

Cast: Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan, Emily Van Camp, Wyatt Russell and Daniel Brühl

Number of Episodes: 6

What We Know So Far: This series takes place after the events of Avengers: Endgame, which means Falcon is in possession of Captain America’s shield. Emily Van Camp reprises her Winter Soldier role as Sharon Carter, a former S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent, and Daniel Brühl is back as Civil War villain Helmut Zemo. The big new addition (that we know of) is Wyatt Russell as John Walker, who in the comics was a supervillain who went by the name Super-Patriot. Malcolm Spellman (Empire) serves as showrunner while Kari Skogland (The Handmaid’s Tale) is directing. Filming began in November 2019 but was interrupted by the pandemic. While The Falcon and the Winter Soldier was originally supposed to be the first Marvel show to debut in August 2020, it was delayed to 2021.

Loki

Premiere Date: May 2021

Cast: Tom Hiddleston, Owen Wilson, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Wunmi Mosaku, Sophia Di Martino, and Sasha Lane

What We Know So Far: So you’ll recall that in Avengers: Endgame, when the Avengers travel back in time to the Battle of New York, the Loki that was laying siege to New York at the time gets his hands on the Tesseract and disappears. This new series, Loki, will follow the exploits of that version of the character—a version who has not gone through the redemptive arc of Thor: The Dark World, Thor: Ragnarok, and Avengers: Infinity War, and a version who was definitely not killed by Thanos. The series will reportedly find the God of Mischief traveling through various time periods, getting into many shenanigans. Which explains why Rick and Morty writer Michael Waldron was tapped as showrunner. Kate Herron (Sex Education) directs. Production began in early 2020 but was interrupted by COVID.

What If…?

Premiere Date: Summer 2021

Cast: Michael B. Jordan as Killmonger, Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes, Josh Brolin as Thanos, Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/The Hulk, Tom Hiddleston as Loki, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Hayley Atwell as Agent Peggy Carter, Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther, Karen Gillan as Nebula, Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, Paul Rudd as Ant-Man, Michael Douglas as Hank Pym, Neal McDonough as Dum Dum Dugan, Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark, Sean Gunn as Kraglin, Natalie Portman as Jane Foster, Taika Waititi as Korg, Toby Jones as Arnim Zola, Djimon Hounsou as Korath, Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster, and Michael Rooker as Yondu

Number of Episodes: 23

What We Know So Far: The first animated new Marvel TV show on Disney+ is an adaptation of the comics run What If…?, which was a series of one-off comics that imagined what would happen if certain scenarios had played out differently. Here, we’ll be seeing how events from the MCU may have played out had the circumstances or outcomes changed a bit. It’s been confirmed that the first story will show what would have happened if Peggy Carter had taken the Super Soldier serum instead of Steve Rogers, and what if Loki had wielded Mjolnir instead of Thor. Jeffrey Wright makes his MCU debut as the voice of Uatu/The Watcher and A.C. Bradley (Trollhunters) serves as showrunner while Bryan Andrews (a storyboard artist on various Marvel movies) directs.

Want to Know More? Click here

Hawkeye

Premiere Date: Late 2021

Cast: Jeremy Renner, Hailee Steinfeld, Vera Farmiga, Fra Fee, and Alaqua Cox as Maya Lopez

What We Know So Far: This limited series will follow Hawkeye after the events of Endgame training up his daughter Kate Bishop, who in the comics eventually takes on the mantle of Hawkeye. Rumors have swirled that Hailee Steinfeld is playing the lead role of Kate Bishop alongside Renner. Jonathan Igla (Mad Men) serves as showrunner, while Berti & Bertie (Troop Zero) and Rhys Thomas (Documentary Now) will each direct a block of episodes.

Ms. Marvel

Premiere Date: Late 2021

Cast: Iman Vellani

Number of Episodes: TBA

What We Know So Far: A TV series based on the Marvel Comics superhero Ms. Marvel, also known as Kamala Khan. The character is a teenage Pakistani American with shapeshifting abilities who eventually discovers that she is an Inhuman. In the comics, she assumes the role of Ms. Marvel as handed down from Carol Danvers’ Captain Marvel. Kamala Khan will also appear in Captain Marvel 2, so the story of Ms. Marvel will tie directly into that film. In September 2020, newcomer Iman Vellani won the role of Ms. Marvel and will lead the series. Bisha K. Ali (Four Weddings and a Funeral) has been tapped as showrunner, while directors include Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah (Bad Boys for Life), Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy and Meera Menon.

Moon Knight

Premiere Date: TBA

Cast: Oscar Isaac

What We Know So Far: Based on the comics character of the same name, Moon Knight will follow a former criminal who becomes “The Fist of Kohnshu” and evolves multiple personalities. It’s early days on this one, but Jeremy Slater (The Umbrella Academy, The Exorcist) has been selected as showrunner and Oscar Isaac signed on to star as the titular hero.

She-Hulk

Cast: Tatiana Maslany, Mark Ruffalo, and Tim Roth

What We Know So Far: Not much, but when Kevin Feige first announced the She-Hulk series at D23 he stated, “Bruce Banner is no longer the only Hulk in the MCU,” suggesting that Marvel has big plans for She-Hulk. In the comics, Jennifer Walters is Bruce Banner’s cousin who gains his Hulk powers after receiving a blood transfusion from him. Jessica Gao, who won an Emmy for writing the "Pickle Rick" episode of Rick and Morty, has been selected to serve as showrunner. Taitana Maslany was confirmed as the title character (a lawyer catering primarily to superhero matters) in December 2020, with Marvel also revealing that Mark Ruffalo will appear as Bruce Banner and Tim Roth will reprise his The Incredible Hulk role as the Abomination.

Secret Invasion

Cast: Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn

What We Know So Far: Marvel announced in December 2020 that it is adapting one of its most famous comics arcs, Secret Invasion, as a limited series. Ben Mendelsohn reprises his Captain Marvel role as the Skrull Talos and Samuel L. Jackson co-stars as Nick Fury in a storyline that, in the comics at least, saw many notable superheroes replaced by Skrull lookalikes. Captain Marvel flipped the script and made the Skrulls the empathetic good guys and the Kree — their sworn enemy — the bad guys, and last we saw Nick Fury he was floating in space aboard a massive Skrull ship. So expect this to be a big deal.

Ironheart

Cast: Dominique Thorne

What We Know So Far: Marvel made the announcement in December 2020 that it was developing a Disney+ series based on Ironheart, which will tell the story of an engineer who develops the most advanced suit of armor since Iron Man himself and then becomes a superhero. Dominique Thorne (If Beale Street Could Talk) will play the title role.

Armor Wars

Cast: Don Cheadle

What We Know So Far: Don Cheadle's James Rhodes finally gets to take center stage in Armor Wars. In this story, War Machine will have to put on the suit, reclaim his title, and stop a technocratic, dystopian nightmare when Stark's technology falls into the wrong hands.

I Am Groot

Cast: TBA

What We Know So Far: Marvel is developing a series of shorts featuring new and unusual characters, anchored by Baby Groot himself. James Gunn will executive produce I Am Groot.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  9. Dr. Pepper

Feige also cleared the air for us on WandaVision episode lengths, seeing as the first three episodes screened by the press on Friday all hovered around a half-hour, which frankly makes sense given the way the titular characters’ life is presented via fantastically faithful homages to sitcoms from the 1950s, ’60s and ’70s.

Once the series begins to break away from that creative construct, as the close of Episode 3 most strongly suggests, running times “start to vary more, yes,” Feige assures TVLine.

“That’s one of the fun things about streaming — and even on the shows that I watch, as a fan: You don’t have the rules of network TV and selling ad time, where it has to start now and end now. [Episodes] can grow or shift or shrink or expand to fit the story you’re telling. Even in those first three, the lengths are somewhat different, and that will continue through the rest of the show.” (With reporting by Rebecca Iannucci)

Vidiot, Quadboy and marmalade166 like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Well, Kevin Feige did just announce that they're working on Deadpool 3, and that it would be in the same spirit as the previous Fox films and would be rated R. Now, whether those will wind up on Disney+ or in theaters... we'll have to see. I have no doubt many discussions are going on about the nature of the really violent shows (and movies).

BTW, episode 4 of WandaVision caused my jaw to drop and hit the floor so hard, it caused damage. Good god, y'all... :eek:

11. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

12. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

13. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

14. BeatleJWOL

Dr. Pepper and Quadboy like this.
  15. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I like the sound of What If? She-Hulk, maybe - will be interesting to see if they allow her to break the fourth wall, like she did in the comics on occasion.

The rest...not so much.

16. I don't get all the references to WandaVision and things being '1950s-esque' - the first episode was clearly a parody of The Dick Van Dyke Show (so 1960's), episode 2 was Bewitched (mostly the 1960's b&w with a brief bit of color) and The Brady Bunch (1970's). If they had done, say, a Honeymooners 'homage' in episode 1 then I'd get the 50's reference but there isn't any such thing. Any ideas as to why this seems to persist?

17. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

I got bored halfway through episode 2. Not my kind of thing.

18. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

The first episode had the “I Love Lucy” kitchen-to-living room window; the one from the original Lucy apartment. ‘50s reference.

19. The kitchen set was straight out of Dick Van Dyke, including the kitchen-to-living room window. Best pic I could find, but it's easily viewable in any number of episodes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Ooops. Uh...Yep.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  21. BeatleJWOL

The I Love Lucy kitchen had one too, but you're right, the Dick Van Dyke influence was strongest, right down to the tripping/Vision phasing through the ottoman.

That said, the credit sequence on the first episode was a clear I Love Lucy reference, and being the last piece of the episode might have been stronger on some minds.

22. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

I've been watching this show and it is fairly interesting. I liked the retro thing. After episode 4 I see there is a whole lot more.

I'm ignorant of the Marvel movies/comics. Any recommendations on which to view to get at least somewhat up to speed?

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm a huge Marvel fan and I'm loving this series. Can't understand the negativity about it here. I'd say that it's one of the most refreshingly original TV series to comme along for years (with Black Mirror and Inside N°9)

You have to stay with it at least till Episode 4, to get a few clues about what is actually going on. The whole thing will eventually reveal who the villain of the piece is and it'll lead everything towards the next Dr. Strange movie (which will feature Wanda > Scarlet Witch).

Stormrider77 and Billy Infinity like this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

Because they have said in interviews that that's what they were going for. To me certainly the look of Wanda in the first episode was a 1950s far more than a 1960s look. The hair, dresses instead of tight pants that were Mary Tyler Moore's calling card. Also the commercial was a 1950s style commercial and much of the episode reminded me of I love Lucy and The George Burns and Gracie Allan Show, how I wish they would have had Vision break the 4th wall and talk directly to the audience ala George Burns. Now having Dick Van Dyke as a consultant as they did would easily give a more Dick Van Dyke show slant and I can definitely see that. But each show has been a amalgamation of a bunch of shows thrown together in a blender, minus episode two which was more of a straight on Bewitched take. Three was interesting in that it was Bewitched living in the Brady's house.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. BeatleJWOL

Age of Ultron is the second Avengers film and introduces Wanda. Basically if the full teamup movies don't grab you, the individual ones probably won't do much more for you.

GentleSenator and AintGotHalfOf like this.