SH Spotlight Wanna check how your CD player is doing? "Tigerlily" CD Natalie Merchant, how I compared CD players

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2022.

1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Indeed, I do see it in every thrift store everywhere.

rcsrich, ARK and gonz like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

From now on, say "Tigerlily" like Elmer Fudd. Go on, you know you want to..

rcsrich, BobbyG and ssmith3046 like this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

This is what I think of.

Bruso, BobbyG and greasepaint like this.
  4. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

for those that do not have the CD, is it potentially possible to do this with the hi-res version of this on Qobuz or whatever version is on Tidal?

5. Steve Hoffman

You tell us!

6. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

ARK likes this.
  7. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

interesting: on Qobuz there's an "Édition Studio Masters" version and the CD.
    What you describe is more noticeable on the latter, so I assume the former is some sort of remaster.
    I'm not an engineer, producer or musician - but it's always fun to do these exercises with direction from those that are and can help tell you what you're hearing - assuming (as you originally point out) you have a system capable of revealing it. thanks.

8. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

Probably because Qbuz used a compressed the **** out of version of the recording.

9. deniall83

deniall83 Forum Resident

Thanks for this Steve. I'm going to try this with my new (old) Sony SACD player.

ARK likes this.
  10. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

Midtempo jangly pop rock. Natalie Merchant vocals are midrange and a little nasally,

You must have found something from the last 30 years that isn't unsettling....

Plan9, Joy-of-radio and ARK like this.
  11. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Ohhhhhh yeayea... Totally hear the smear of verb all over track #2, probably would've never picked that out without the tipoff! Subtle but definitely clouds everything up a touch...
    Carnival does get a bit towards sibilant in those choruses when she starts doubling up vocal tracks. It's funny I haven't heard that song since the 90s when I was a teen and had no ears... Never realized how thick & gigantic the low-mids on her vocal track are in this tune until now. And verse 2 really starts pulling into saturation station! Lotta hair all over them vox...
    Fun listen! Thanks Steve :cheers:

12. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

Hmmm I was actually interested in this, just to see if my ears had gone or not

Just listened to track 5 and 9 as mentioned

The vocal on 5 sounded nice

Then the vocal on 9 just sounded harsher in some way

interesting

Maybe my ears haven't gone if I can hear the difference

13. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

Totally understood.

14. hutchguv

Just had a quick listen to 2

I can hear a bit of reverb

What's fake about it? It's there I can hear it, it's not fake. There is reverb there

Fake wood means it's not wood, it's something else designed to look, smell, and feel, like wood but it's not... Get me?

Words are quite important here right?

So do you mean, it's not reverb produced by a room naturally, it's a processor?

Interested how you can tell

Apologies if this comes across as confrontational, it's not, I'm just interested

15. Steve Hoffman

It's a processor, yes. Not a chamber.

azideam, JeffMo and hutchguv like this.
  16. Isitquiex

Isitquiex Forum Resident

Happy that my system passed the audition! I could hear the differences, although I would never have been able to describe them as accurately. I had not listened to this album in ages, love the drum sound on "Carnival" and still adore the pure pop of "Wonder."

This was great fun, hope it can turn into a monthly feature - thanks!

rcsrich, gonz, BeatlesBop and 2 others like this.
  17. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I think the hi res version is a horrible fold down of the DVD-A. It is really off. For example, listen to the bass drop of “River”. There are frequencies missing. Also the acoustic guitar on “San Andreas Fault” is hollow, like too much echo from one channel.

18. hutchguv

Right, so they used the EMT 40 Plate reverb that was at Bearsville studio at that time?

Is a plate reverb considered a processor? Always good to learn stuff

19. EgaBog

EgaBog The Dreadful Great

Except global climate.

Plan9, BeatlesBop and hutchguv like this.
  20. hutchguv

I've just read your profile, so I know what amp you use.

So when you first turn it on it sounds "thin" and "horrible"

If it sounds "horrible" when you turn it on, I suspect your amp might be broken

Or... As I suspect... You are using over dramatic words to define minor changes?

Or after 30 minutes you are more relaxed and enjoy the music more?

Apologies in advance if this comes across as confrontational, I do not intend it that way

gonz likes this.
  21. hutchguv

I just compared track 4 River

The 95 CD

vs

MFSL UDCD 771

The bass is boomier on the 95 CD

On the MFSL the boom has gone, but there is more texture to the bass

I hope that describes the difference between the CD issues on that track for bass

mikeyt likes this.
  22. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Can't say it's hard to find! This is a compact disc that one can find in about 99% of Goodwill stores in North America right now.

I'm sure I have it but haven't listened to it in years. I've always liked 'Carnival' - the sound of those drums and congas at the start, the slinky and funky beat, then that cool guitar sound (albeit a little dated sounding now). What a voice, too. Looking forward to trying this experiment!

ARK, rcsrich, gonz and 2 others like this.
  23. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I'm not taking your post about my amp's as confrontational, I take it as being helpful!
    My SS power amp and valve preamp sound "horrible" when first turned on in an audiophile sense. It's OK for background listening, or for putting a movie through. But certainly lacks the depth, presence and musicality which there after the 1-hr warmup. I'm confident that the amp's are not broken. I was friends with the developers of my power amp (I listened to it in many configurations as it was being refined), and it's always needed some warm up to be able to shine.
    I note you are from the UK - do you have a Croft (perhaps PM a reply so we don't take the thread off-topic).

24. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

thanks for including this suggestion: I wasn't clear what Steve's involvement was in this, so I didn't want to be critical, but I found the files on Qobuz to be pretty offputting, and curious as to why the CD version was "better" - but your idea would explain it. That said, Steve's original exercise was still audible in them.

25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Me too for the same reason. Life is too short for waiting a long time.