Want a good quality passive preamp with remote. Suggestions welcome.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Benzion, May 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident Thread Starter

For use with my 300B amp, remote basically being the main raison d'etre, as the amp itself has a manual volume control.

After my second spinal surgery, bending down to adjust volume is more demanding than it used to be. Besides, I'm just lazy, and like a remote.

Please no Schiit Saga+ suggestions - I want something truly passive, and something finer, if not to say "better".

For now, I have my eyes set on Hattor Audio Mini Passive Pre:

Mini Passive-Active Pre

Suggestions for something this level of quality or better are sought.

brock and trd like this.
  2. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Audio Research SP-9.. Ooops no remote.

3. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Pre Amplifiers

I have had a Music First Audio mark II since 2010, and have been very happy with it. It is no longer made, but looks like at least their Reference, and possibly other models, has a remote.

4. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I don't have a horse in this race but the Hattor heat sink fins that spell out "HATTORAUDIO" look killer! Kudos to those engineers.
    [​IMG]

trd, 33na3rd and bever70 like this.
  5. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

33na3rd likes this.
  6. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

A passive with remote isn't really going to be passive, because you're going to need a power supply to drive whatever remote volume adjustment circuitry the preamp uses. Sure, you can keep the signal chain passive, but it's going to be any more "truly passive" than the Schiit Saga Plus that you mention in passive mode, or the Tortuga active/passive or whatever.

MGW, Helom, 33na3rd and 2 others like this.
  7. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

The Creek OBH-22 or the older OBH-12 are excellent remote controlled passive pre-amps and are very reasonably priced.

If you fancy splashing out a bit more then the Audio Synthesis Passion ultimate is one of the best pre-amps ever made, if you can find one.

Benzion likes this.
  8. Benzion

I do mean passive signal path. I don't want anything added to the sound of my 300B's.

33na3rd likes this.
  9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Icon Audio Passive R.

Benzion likes this.
  10. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

The very best is the EMIA Autoformer which is available with a remote.

11. Benzion

Thanks. Sent an inquiry to my Icon dealer - Audioarcan, in Ontario.

Thorensman and Brother_Rael like this.
  12. Benzion

Thanks. Found one in 8/10 condition. Sent an inquiry to the seller.

caracallac likes this.
  13. Benzion

Looks very nice. But, for $3,900, I think I will pass.

14. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Hattor looks great..

15. SCM

SCM Senior Member

Tortuga Audio...Love mine has a remote too :thumbsup:

33na3rd likes this.
  16. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

The Emia is very good. Autoformer volume control is a form of transformer volume control. Instead of burning off the signal as heat to lower v0lume, voltage is converted to current. This form of volume control/passive linestage is much more dynamic and lively sounding. Emia used to sell the bare guts of the remotely controlled autoformer so that it could be installed in one's own gear or box, but, I don't see that now on their website. To me, transformer volume control is the very best passive approach, but, most of these do not offer remove control, and/or, because of how complex and difficult it is to wire, they have limited number of attenuation steps (the right volume always seems to be between two steps).

Perhaps, you could locate a Placette Remote Volume Control. This is a stepped attenuator that utilizes a large number of Vishay resistors and relays to switch them in and out. I heard it compared to the Placette active linestage (unity gain buffer, i.e., no additional amplification); I preferred the active over the passive (I bought their linestage), but, both are very good.

Another approach is a light-dependant resistor volume control. A friend of mine made a remote volume control from readily available parts. It was pretty good for a passive control.

17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

why passive?

rednedtugent and bever70 like this.
  18. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

I'd be curious to try the Smart icOn4 AVC (autoformer) passive preamp with remote . They have a lot of options, either TVC or AVC, I really like the icOn2 that uses a custom version of the SAC Thailand Silk transformers with 1dB taps. The very clean icOn4 is shown below using Dave Slagle's autoformers...

[​IMG]

enginedr and 33na3rd like this.
  19. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

The icOn units do indeed look interesting. The Slagle autoformer is the unit that EMIA uses as well. This seems to be a unit that provides most of the functions one would want, particularly remote volume and balance control. Ideally, the steps would be smaller than 1.5 db, for purposes of balance control, but you can't really have everything. It would also be nicer if the display showed the volume levels for both channels.

20. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

One of the more expensive models does have both channels on display, as well as input selected, etc. I think when you select the menu button on remote for balance, it should show you the setting. There's a pretty long review at sixmoons - icOn4 Pro review that covers much of the operation and a lot of pictures, and talks about some of the other alternatives, but they really love the icOn4.

21. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

The EMIA is a Bent audio TAP x with Slagle AVCs inside and Slagle is part of the EMIA teem
    I built my own TAP X years ago when you could get the parts . The ICON is the one to buy now if you are looking to save over the EMIA

22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Why not??

23. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Luminous Audio Technology - Axiom II

One of these variants may be of interest to you.

Axiom Preamps

I own a fully loaded Axiom III myself and it's fantastic, but I do need the gain of my active pre.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    Benzion likes this.
  24. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

What does he hope to gain?

:biglaugh:

Ilusndweller, rischa and bever70 like this.
  25. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I will recommend against the Creek OBH-12. Purchased new about 25 years ago, the remote never worked very well then died after about 5 years. The remote controls inputs and volume so without it, it is reduced to a single input, non remote controllable volume control/attenuator. SQ is fine, but apparently it uses a cheap pot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.