War for the Planet of the Apes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lord Summerisle, Dec 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

I hated the movie, just like I hated the previous one (but loved the first one). The reason I hated it as well as the one before is because the whole movie -- every character, every scene, every bit of dialogue -- is made up entirely of cliches and tropes. There is only one scene in the whole film -- I won't spoil it -- that surprised me in that it avoided a common movie trope. But aside from that, it might as well have been written by a computer. The fact it stars apes instead of humans give the illusion of originality, but all of the apes are typical action movie stock characters.

Ghostworld likes this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I think he and his outfit would have been better done as a crazier wild bunch - Mad Max-like hells angels, a cult. They seemed to be too much like a regular army platoon.

3. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

That's what they were! Originally, that is.

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

What do you mean originally? Was it in the dialogue?

5. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Well, within the story. His unit was originally his battalion, right? At least that's what I thought.

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Of course but I meant that in the story, it would have been better if that rebel group was more extreme, more anarchic and thus more motivated to do things their own way.

7. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Oh sure, I understand. They seemed very well disciplined, in their twisted way.

8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I finally saw this today and, surprisingly (to me at least), I liked it. Among the things that stopped me from seeing it earlier are the similarities/references to two other films (as mentioned earlier). But I have to say that if I hadn't read about that, both here and rlsewhere, I probably wouldn't have thought of it myself. And even seeing it knowing about the references, I wasn't bothered or distracted in the least.

Anyway, a thumbs up from me -- not as good as the previous installment, but still worth watching, IMO.

GeoffC likes this.
  9. I saw the movie last night (finally), and really loved it. I too thought it was going to be an all-out "war" film, and was very pleased with what it turned out to be. Actually, I'll go fairly far out on a limb and say that at least for me, I felt like the whole thing was pitch-perfect. Great storytelling, and very little that was way overwrought.

All three of these reboot Apes films have been great. Been a while since I've seen the first, two, but offhand I think I'd give the first one an 8/10, the second one maybe a 7/10, and I'm damn tempted to give this last one a 9/10.

I left the theater FEELING very much like I'd seen another (great) film in the original series. Or, rather, the feeling I had reminded me VERY much of how I felt seeing some of those later films in the original early 70's series, with a nice blend of action, story, character development -- and a limited scope that didn't try and tell too much of an overarching story. This was a tale of a particular set of apes, and humans, in a particular place (journey, really, from point A - to point B), and in that sense, like the very best of the original series, it tried to tell a PART of what one can infer is a much larger story.

I for one hope like hell the series continues. Best "reboot" of anything I can think of in my entire 35+ years of movie going (I'm pushing 50).

Unknown Delight likes this.
  10. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Saw this today and feel it was just very ... average. It was ok but nothing like the originals. I liked part 1 of this reboot a lot, pretty much hated the second one, and thought this one was OK.

I do like the plot point about the virus mutation. It looks like it got Woody at the end which I also liked, but I feel like the execution of that whole plot point was not done very well - not very emotionally, just kind of matter-of-factly.

Woody was alright -- a bit campy but alright.

What's the deal with this whole reboot again? Is it like an alternate version of how things could have played out differently, like a parallel plane or whatever, a result of time being altered? Or is this supposed to directly run into the original future of Apes? Is child Nova supposed to become future Apes Nova? And Cornelius as well? I just don't recall. If so though, I wish they would have completed the cycle a little better -- had the apes find their way east over the course of the 3 films, worked in some NY imagery, and some nuclear holocaust action.

Anyhoo, decent but doesn't hold a candle to the originals.

11. Seems that the studio may be pushing to have "War" be nominated for "Best Picture" at the Oscars.

https://news.google.com/news/story/dB8N8zluJTrtuvM2n7IgT5A5-LL3M?hl=en

I can't imagine it winning, but I'd be all up for it to get nominated!! I love the new reboot series, and hope they keep making more sequels (and an Oscar nomination, beyond just the 'effects' categories), would be a good vote of confidence in the value of the series continuing.

12. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Absurd, but with the expansion to 9 nominees it seems they are specifically trying to be more genre inclusive and make sure a couple comedies, a sci-fi/action etc. get nominated regularly. Meh.

13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just finished, liked it!

blowing my mind that it's
    been 47 years since i saw
    Beneath!

14. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I can’t hate the Apes. What a concept:..:love it!

15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Yes, it did have a feel of being the final one. Certainly final for this trilogy, but who knows if many years down the line, someone might say "Let's do another trilogy, set further into the future"... I don't see it happening, but starnger things have happened. After "pota 2001", many thought "Apes" was done as far as any more films being made, but fast forward ten yeras and we were presented with the Caesar films...

I bought the DVD on release day, and watched it the day after... The film wasn't bad, but not nearly as war oriented as the title would leave most to believe... It was more prison escape than war movie IMHO... I didn't mind that it wasn't an explosive shoot 'em up film, but thought there would have been more of a final showdown between Caesar and his tribe and the army...

The Nova character: Pretty pointless, other than being used to show that the apes, could be compassionate toward a human, at least it was that way with Maurice. They probably included her to show that the virus was now causng muteness in people, but I think they could have just covered that with a few lines of dialog... And the way she was named, please, how corny...

And "Bad Ape" was as bad as I expected him to be, and that's not complimentary... I like the idea of Caesar and/or his band finding out that there are other pockets of surviving apes who are gaining intelligence, but to add comic relief with that ape was uncalled for... And before the film came out and there was an image of "Bad Ape" posted online & I recall a few people saying "Oh, I like how his outfit is showing the type of design the Orangutans had in the original films": That was just crazy because his little ski vest reflects nothing of how the apes were decked out in the '68 original...

mrjinks likes this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You obviously haven't seen the original Apes film with Charlton Heston. Nova was Heston's mute mate in the original and the first sequel, Beneath the Planet of the Apes. She also had a cameo in Tim Burton's 2001 remake. I thought it was a neat inclusion and she did have a role to play in this film beyond a franchise canon reference.

17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Saw it tonight, felt kinda flat. Beautiful to look at but....

18. Grand_Ennui

Are you effin kidding me? I never seen "Planet" and/or "Beneath?!?! They're two of my favorite films EVER!

The Nova character in "War" has nothing to do with Nova from "Planet '68", other than her name being a cute little "reference" to the original films. And, IIRC, "Nova" in Burton's film was actually an ape in that one... Yeah, Linda Harrison had a cameo in "pota2001", big deal: Having her and Heston make cameos was just a bull**** way of trying to give some validity to that piece of crap... Linda probably did it as any easy one day paycheck (or as a favor to her ex-husband Richard Zanuck) and Heston almost certainly did just do it as a favor to Zanuck: Heston hated the idea of "Beneath" being made at all, with or without him, so he wouldn't have done "pota2001" as anything but a gesture of friendship to Zanuck.

I know a lot of people like the little "references" to the originals (names, lines of dialog, etc.) but I never cared for any of that. It cheapens things, and shows they are limited in ideas if they have to make references all over the place... Of these new ones, "Rise" was definitely the worst offender: That kid in the lab yelling "Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape" was downright cringeworthy and embarassing...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    RK2249 likes this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Other than showing that the virus may be causing humans to be mute, and being Maurice's little orphan buddy, what was her role exactly? To show that the apes could read an emblem of a classic car?

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've never seen any of the new ape movies. After the world series I'll be done with sports and have plenty of time to catch up on movies.

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Watched it a few days ago, the title is certainly misleading. Overall impression: disappointed by the story/plot, the CGI, motion capture work is outstanding.

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Awwww, i love Bad-Ape
    [​IMG]

Sondek likes this.
  23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

24. Just watched this and loved it. The only weak link for me was Harrelson. Thought he was miscast.

Trying to think what other actor I’d choose.

Enjoyed the pacing.

And the Nova character was important as she will grow up into the character that was in the original, so the next one could be 10-15 years later and the original story.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Very uneven. Some really great parts though. CGI is impressive, but it doesn't look real and probably never will. The characters looks photoshoped into the picture, there is no weight etc.
    Give me a human person with a mask and I'd prefer it 9/10 times over cgi

Tim Burton's movie wasn't very good but the apes looked great!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.