War of the Worlds

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by thxdave, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde" Thread Starter

Does anybody know if this is supposed to be a faithful adaptation or just an overblown CG-fest? I was really excited when the narration used in the trailer for the upcoming release used the same as was used in the opening of the original '50's version. I'm also wondering if "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" will be closer to the book, the TV series, or neither. Anybody plugged in on this?

<42>

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I believe that the film is set in the present day (or near future) and therefore is not a faithful adaptation. But then again, neither was Orson Welles' radio play nor the 1953 film version.

With Spielberg, even when he goes crazy with computer generated effects or even when he produces a real stinker, there usually is at least something worthwhile (even extra-ordinary) to see in his films.

3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

It's contemporary. I was on the exterior set shooting a video piece about Speilberg choosing a nearby town for the film's ending shots. They shot it at an abandoned chemical plant in Naugatuck, CT. Speilberg and Cruise, here for 2 days, were very nice about meeting and signing for the locals. Class acts.

4. thxdave

I'm really hoping that he stays true to the spirit of the original. I was wondering if Gene Barry is still alive. It would be fun to see him do a cameo sort of like Kevin McCarthy did in the remake of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

5. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

The other WOTW 2005 Feature

First off, I believe Gene Barry, born June 14, 1921, is still with us. As to "War of the Worlds" 2005. I can't wait to see Speilberg's version. As a young child I was in total awe of the George Pal production in 1953. I now have that version in just about every video format available past and present. Also the 1938 radio play, the 1955 radio play, numerous book editions and the Musical play based on H.G. Wells novel. I, needless to say, was affected by this story. It seems that along with the Speilberg version there is a British "War of the Worlds" feature also due for release this month. This British version from Pendragon Pictures is more faithful to the H.G. Wells novel and is set in Victorian England. Check this site for more info: http://www.pendragonpictures.com/WOTWKEY.html

-Steve D.

6. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Didn't we just see this in the recent "Independence Day"? Sarcasm aside, I'm looking forward to see how Cruise and Spielberg re-work this story and ILM re-set the standard for special effects.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm hopeful that Spielberg can get back on track. I was really disappointed with The Terminal which I though was plain aweful. He is one of my favorite directors but he seems to have lost his touch recently.

I'm sure the effects will be amazing...

8. pjaizz

pjaizz Forum Resident

I agree. It seems he can't make a really great movie anymore. Most of his films have there moments, but always seem to come up short. He always has some great segments (the first sighting of the T-rex in Jurassic I, the first attempted murder in Minority Report, the opening of Indy I etc) that rival anything a director can do, but his movies just don't move me anymore in terms of overall greatness. I wanted very much to like Schindler's List, but as a film, it just isn't that good. Weird as it sounds his best total film might well be The Color Purple! (Ok Jaws fans, it was amazing until we actually see the shark, and it had some great moments too.) Maybe effects are his worst enemy...I always go see his films, but I have a bad feeling about War of the Worlds.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I think he has lost an ability to tell a story that is engaging like he did in Schindlers and Close Encounters. WOW is a great storyline so maybe things will be better.

10. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

Amazing! This is the first i've heard of this film. Frankly, this seems a lot more tantalizing to me than another Speilberg/Cruise eye-candy fest.

The trailers mentioned a 30 March 2005 release, which has obviously come and gone. Steve - any word on a rescheduled date?

11. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

Pete, The latest release date is late April 2005. Which is now. And would you believe, yet another entry into the WOW fray. This version to be a DVD release: http://www.cthomashowell.net/invasion.htm

-Steve D.

12. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

It is coming out June 29th, 2005

13. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

Thank you!

It's gonna be busy Summer in the theaters for fans of Sci-Fi and comic book-based films:

* War Of The Worlds (two versions)
    * Batman Begins
    * Fantastic Four
    * Revenge of the Sith
    * The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

14. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Spielberg is now always linked in my mind with Kubrick because of 'Eyes Wide Shut'.
    What a contrast.
    I miss Stanley.
    Spielberg is perfectly hollywood, the dumbing down, the need to please, the insulting mandate of the uplifting ending, the tyranny of style over substance. :thumbsdn:

Of course I hope 'War of the Worlds' defies my low expectations and is great. :thumbsup:

15. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Uh...you might mean, AI?

I disagree wholeheartedly with those who don't see quality in Spielberg's work. He is obviously a gifted film-maker. And as much as he loves happy endings, he has done plenty that are not happy in the least. Schindlers, AI, I forget the name, but the one about the slave-ships.

His work on The Terminal was very understated, so naturally it gets bashed for not being Spielberg enough!! The fact is, he's kind of a Howard Hawks-type. He can do anything in any genre, and do it well. Catch Me If You Can defies every cliche about Spielberg you can name. Maybe that's why it hasn't come up until now.

16. Dreadnought

Aha ha oops, yes. AI :o :D

Well yes the quality is there certainly. As one of the top guns I just wish he was more of an artist with some daring and originality. He's something of a strategist instead, pushing the expected buttons.

:)

17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Sorry for the thread crap but that 50's War of the Worlds sound like a cool movie - is it really good and is it out on DVD? Is it set in th 50's or XIX century?

18. thxdave

Yep, on DVD. It's set in the '50's and it's very well done.

19. Dreadnought

Very enjoyable movie. It doesn't have the psychological (political=anti-communist sub text) impact of the 50's Invasion of the Body Snatchers and so I don't think of as quite as much of a landmark film. Besides the potential end of the world scenario had been done lots by that time. I recall WOTW as looking pretty good visually, big budget/non-cheesy. It gives me a cuddly nostalgic feeling. :D

20. thxdave

I just watched it again the other day after seeing and hearing the first trailer for the new version. The '50's version was obviously done with a degree of care (and budget) that most other sci-fi films of the era lacked. That's not to take anything away from the genre as I've collected almost everything that ever came out during those fertile years....the good, the bad and the VERY ugly. ;) I think the thing that surprised me the most in the old version was the role that religion played in the story (and I mean that in a good way, btw).

Just hearing that opening narration in the current trailer using the exact same dialogue as the '50's version was a real treat. That gave me hope that Spielberg will treat it with respect. After all, that would be the version he grew up watching...just like me.

21. thxdave

Quick note: I just saw a note on a fan site that Gene Barry and Anne Robinson MAY appear in the new version as the grandfather and grandmother of the main character (Cruise?).

22. Dreadnought

I used to think that sort of thing was great as when it was done in Cape Fear. Now it seems gimmicky rather than respectful.
    Geez what's my prob this morning? ;)

23. thxdave

It can be gimmicky, I agree. But like the earlier one I cited ("Invasion of...." with Kevin McCarthy), it can be an homage without getting too "cute". We should start a thread citing other movies that used this device...might be a short thread though!

24. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

The George Pal '53 version from Paramount won the Academy Award for special effects that year. This, of course, long before computer generated effects. There was talk of producing the film in 3-D. But by the time producton began, the 3-D fad was going out of favor with the public and Paramount didn't want to spend the money on the process. When you view the film you can see certain scenes that, imo, might have been shot with 3-D in mind.

-Steve D.

25. deepsky4565

deepsky4565 Forum Resident

Don't bother with the current DVD of the '50's version, its not nearly as good as the CAV laserdisc that came out years before! I don't know what happened there. A new special edition is coming out to tie in with the new movie, it should be much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.