Warner Bros. Records is now... Warner Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo Thread Starter

Warner Bros. Records Rebrands as Warner Records

[​IMG]

Some 61 years after the founding of Warner Bros. Records, the label is being rebranded as Warner Records across the globe — yes, Warner Bros. Records is now Warner Records. The new logo appears above; the revamped website launched a few minutes ago.

According to the announcement, “This marks the latest step in the company’s evolution, following Aaron Bay-Schuck joining as U.S. Co-Chairman & CEO in October 2018, Tom Corson being appointed U.S. Co-Chairman & COO in January 2018, and Phil Christie being named President of the UK label in 2016. The name change also follows the U.S. company’s recent move to a new, state-of-the-art headquarters in downtown LA’s Arts District.”

The move is taking place for both legal and imaging reasons. The announcement notes that when Warner Music Group was sold by Time Warner in 2004 to a group of investors led by Edgar Bronfman Jr., it was agreed that Warner Bros. Records, which was founded in 1958 as a division of Warner Bros. Pictures, would continue to use the Warner Bros. name and logo for 15 years. The rebranding also allows the company, which was acquired by Len Blavatnik’s Access Industries in 2011 and has undergone dramatic changes in leadership and artist roster over the past couple of years, to make a fresh start. Warner Music’s publishing division, Warner Chappell, recently underwent a less dramatic rebranding, with a new logo and punctuation change (removing the slash between the two names).

The announcement describes the new logo’s “artful simplicity and impactful typography that are ideally suited to the digital world. The circular icon – suggesting a record, a sun, and a globe – is a nod to the label’s past, present, and future. The openness of the design gives it the flexibility to embrace all Warner Records artists and all genres of music around the world.”

“For the first time in the label’s history, we’ve had the opportunity to create a distinct, modern identity entirely of our own,” said Corson and Bay-Schuck. “The timing couldn’t be better, since we all feel the label is at a moment of reinvention that builds on our legacy, while moving into a future driven by fearlessness and creativity. We have a growing roster of world-class artists, a rejuvenated team, and an incredible new location. It’s a new day for Warner Records, an iconic label that was born in the California sun, and is at home everywhere on earth.”

“We’re signing and developing the next generation of British artists to move global culture, so we wanted the Warner Records brand to have the power and freedom to mean different things to different people around the world,” said Christie. “A new logo isn’t meaningful on its own, and our label will always be defined by the originality of our artists, our music, and our people.”

The new Warner Records brand identity and logo were developed in partnership with Emily Oberman and her team at the design studio Pentagram.

Warner Records (@warnerrecords) • Instagram photos and videos

ispace, Dubmart and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

That logo makes the company look like it's sinking.

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I'm reminded of.....
    [​IMG]

Rock66, BrentB, WLL and 9 others like this.
  4. themisto

themisto Forum Resident

Rather dreadful logo...

5. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

Bugs Bunny was not available for comment.

BrentB, clhboa, Rad Dudeski and 18 others like this.
  6. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Wonder what inspired that...

7. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Wow. They had some great lookin' logos, like the classic WB grey/gold releases in the 60s, and, of course, the olive green & orange late 60s & early 70s releases. To me, they will always be Warner Bros. Records. I don't care what the logo/label says:D

8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thee old stamp will be missed.
    [​IMG]

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think I will have to go to Dunkin' and read this article in depth.

clhboa, JuanTCB, keefer1970 and 14 others like this.
  10. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

“...The announcement describes the new logo’s “artful simplicity and impactful typography that are ideally suited to the digital world. The circular icon – suggesting a record, a sun, and a globe – is a nod to the label’s past, present, and future. The openness of the design gives it the flexibility to embrace all Warner Records artists and all genres of music around the world.”

Inspired by those ideas,
    Our rebranding of the historic and iconic Warner Bros Records (hereby known as Warner Records) will be represented as:
    A blank sun descending below a bleak horizon...a somber sunset.

We’re no longer using color.
    Why?
    It’s no longer necessary, in representing a new global entity that’s 100% color blind, wherein warm and brilliant and aweinspiring hues are no longer applicable in our revised visual vocabulary.
    (Plus, our accountants have advised us that we’ll save $5,324.05 in printer’s ink.
    Gee, those ink cartridges are very expensive!)

Did we mention FLEXIBILTY???
    Our artists and also fans are encouraged to use their own imagination to draw their own inspired images in the little circular blank space - that saves us $$$, too!
    #flexibilty
    #blank space
    #empty ideas

Please don’t accuse us of being cheap with these cost-saving measures -
    After all, we paid the Art Design company a few million dollars to come up with this innovative design!
    We were absolutely astounded and astonished when they presented it to us, after months of numerous intensive meetings, surveys, lunches, inspirational trips to exotic locales...
    Yes, Astounded! And Astonished!

We truly hope that you, our lifetime listeners, will also be absolutely and overwhelmingly Astonished and Astounded, too!

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Rock66, Mr Bass, SquaRoots and 14 others like this.
  11. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

61 years of brand awareness and just throw it away. Seems daft to me.

Cambridge Audio tried this a few years ago, just called themselves Cambridge. It didn't last

12. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Heres hoping this won't last either...

Always dreamed of having an album released on that classic olive-green label...

13. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Great music but bad animated shorts during that time.

dalem5467 and MrSka57 like this.
  14. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

And Dunkin' Donuts is now just.....Dunkin'.

Seems to be a trend.

phillyal1 and melstapler like this.
  15. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I got yer logo right here...

[​IMG]

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Wonder how much the guys who came up with that graphic design were paid.

"Let's put a white circle to the left and write "Warner Records" with a Gaelic font in Word. Here's the crazy part ; cut off the last 5% of "Records"! Genius!"

17. These rebrandings are usually territorial pissings of executives clueless otherwise how to move forward, true visionaries.

18. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

New boss, same as the old boss

soarer29, DavidD and LeBon Bush like this.
  19. lightbulb

It wasn’t too long ago, when it seemed “music Media” organizations were moving away from utilizing the word “RECORDS” in describing their company, and business.

Now that word is no longer forbidden!!!
    :)

ispace, Dubmart and DavidD like this.
  20. lightbulb

Yes, Brand Awareness has been overtaken and willingly replaced by Bland Ignorance.

21. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Do a little research on Mr. Blavatnik, now a US citizen who was born and raised in the former Soviet Union and who made his fortune in Russia, you may be suprised to see his background and current ties to some "very interesting" events. Rock ' roll!!

Doggiedogma and seed_drill like this.
  22. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Similarly my first album and film was going to have this logo on it. Its still the best. I hate the way they have replaced it on old films

[​IMG]

Rock66, LaserKen, Rockinrob and 6 others like this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I love how a fairly meaningless logo change is causing so much disruption there. Is it really an issue or are people just complaining to complain?

lol

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Actually, I got a comment from him. I asked him about the person who approved this change and he said "What a maroon!".

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Ridiculous amounts of money.

I remember one company I worked for (in the early dot com years). I saw the presentation and the bill for the "What should we name ourselves?" services provided by an agency. Couldn't believe what they charged and what they came up with. In the end the name they went with was one that they came up with internally.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.