WARNING - Amazon's "Frustration-Free" Packaging

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Phil Tate, Oct 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x Thread Starter

Amazon.co.uk Help: Amazon Certified Frustration-Free Packaging

If you see this on an Amazon listing, be aware that their "Frustration-Free Packaging" basically means NO packaging. I ordered the deluxe box set of Mansun's Six, and it arrived today with the shipping label just stuck on the actual shrink wrap, and the set itself unsurprisingly damaged in transit. Can't return it for replacement, only a refund, as it's no longer in stock.

Posted on twitter about it, and they replied that I should have selected "use amazon packaging" at checkout. How stupid of me not to realise I had to specify "please put my item in some packaging".

Staggering that they can think this is remotely acceptable.

pumpkinman, Galley, tin ears and 3 others like this.
  2. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

That happened with Bobby Gentry box set I bought about 5 months ago too.

I didn’t realize there was a reason for it though. I was also shocked that my box set wasn’t damaged at all, but that was just lucky.

Phil Tate likes this.
  3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Ironic that customers should find this to be frustrating.

tin ears, frightwigwam and Phil Tate like this.
  4. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

I once bought an expensive set of headphones from them, and they just slapped a shipping label on the retail box. I was surprised that the box didn't get stolen in transit.

frightwigwam and Phil Tate like this.
  5. Haecate

Haecate Forum Resident

Years ago Amazon's packaging went to hell, and never came back. I used to order books from them - really nice art books - and previously they'd put them on a piece of cardboard, wrap that with plastic = no damage. Now they toss them in a box, a few big bags = always damage. I called them about it years ago, they said it was saving the environment to use less paper/plastic. Right. It's really all about saving Amazon millions on paper/plastic costs.

E_Braunn_Fan, poe_man and Phil Tate like this.
  6. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x Thread Starter

Ah, I see there are other threads about this, and it's been happening for a few years now. I did a search, but didn't think to search in the Marketplace forum - obvious really!

And I agree this is about nothing but Amazon making (even) more money. They'll have worked out that the savings from using no packaging outweighs the cost of replacing the odd damaged item. They really are the worst.

poe_man likes this.
  7. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

That is the easiest, but most incorrect reasoning ever. Saving on packaging supplies, but receiving so many more items that are returned because of damage from bad packaging.

I have returned so many cd’s over the years since they moved away from actual cases to digipaks and sleeves because of the same excuse that they are more environmentally friendly.

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I've received many LPs that were packed in boxes marked "Frustration Free Packaging" and none of them were just LPs with a label stuck on them. All well-packed and arrived safely and intact.

R. Totale likes this.
  9. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

EVERY box set I have purchased from AmazonUS within the last year has arrived with “scrunched corners”.

Yet, box sets from DeepDiscount and PopMarket arrived unscathed.

While I appreciate the quick shipping fromAmazon, in the long term I want a prefect product for the $$$ I am spending.

Phil Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.