WARNING: Dead musical legend thread: Otis Redding

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by teaser5, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

WARNING: Dead guy birthday thread; Otis Redding

One of the most talented entertainers ever in my opinion, Otis Redding was born on this day 62 years ago. His life was tragically cut short at the peak of his career when he was just 26 years old. Not just a brilliant singer, Redding was a gifted songwriter and, as anyone who witnessed his show at The Monteray Pop Festival can testify, an electrifying performer. His amazing rendition of the classic "Try a Little Tenderness" remains a personal favorite.
    Please use this space if you want to reflect on the life and career of this gifted musician
    Peace-
    Norm

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

FA FA FA FA FA FA FA
    (your turn)
    You can hear his influence in the many who followed.

mark winstanley and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Just the best. "Try a Little Tenderness," indeed. As Steve Cropper said, "it was never the same after Otis died."

Nice subject warning, Norm......

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Did you ever hear the Outakes Of "Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay"?
    Quite neat!:)

fr in sc likes this.
  5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I don't remember doing this....but an old neighbour says when I was a kid, about 4 or so, I used to dance and sing along to my brothers Otis records. One of the best damn performers ever. Love Man always gets me going!

6. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Dave: tell me there's a video of this, in 5.1!!

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

not from 1968!:laugh:
    8mm film, in mono!

8. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Friends,

Otis passed away when the aircraft he was a passenger in crashed in Lake Monona in Madison, WI - just 77 miles from where I sit. I used to live in Madison and I drove by the spot where the plane crashed everyday to and from my place of employment - always gave me the 'willies'.

Bob

Lake Monona

Attached Files:

9. StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields Active Member

It's easy to forget that Otis also had talent in areas lots of singers and songwriters usually don't. After all, it was Otis who produced the classic "Sweet Soul Music" by Arthur Conley! He was absolutely a powerhouse of talent. In commenting on the loss of Otis, Keith Richards once observed that his death signified the end of soul music. Soul music can never really die, though, as long as we have music by Otis to listen to:
    Like the music itself, Otis was and is .... timeless.

10. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Otis was one of the truly great ones, few can come close. His Monterey performance was unbelievable, one of the best live 30 minutes of music I've ever seen (unfortunately only via video, alas, I was not there that day).

Jeff

11. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Don't about forget the Otis Redding box on Rhino-"OTIS".
    Its still out there. and it just about perfect. Except for not having the studio version of "My Girl". Buy it before someone has the brilliant idea to re-do,repackage and remaster it....

12. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Live in Europe cooks!

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yes, get it while you still can; the next "remastered" version will be No-Noised and Maximized to hell...To protect you from that evil Stax/Volt tape hiss.

McLover likes this.
  14. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

One of the greatest live albums ever issued...at one point, a woman in the audience keeps screaming out for Otis to sing "Good To Me." Oddly enough, he doesn't--at least not on the released Lp--but it's a tribute to his talent and charisma she just had to hear that particular song.

Although many of the Otis CD's still in print are from the mono master tapes, there are also some in stereo, totally unfutzed and very nice sounding, from Japan. These also have the original cover art, something not always the case with the domestic Rhino/Atco discs. The great thing about Otis is the lack of even a hint of mediocrity in his catalog: everything fits, has a purpose, part of a bigger picture. He was a titanic talent.

ED:cool:

15. Steve Hoffman

Remember, the STEREO versions of the Stax stuff (before the four-track machine) are all DUBS by Tom Dowd with top end boost (why they sound so hissy). The mono versions have that un-futzed with nice warm Stax/Volt sound.

McLover likes this.
  16. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That they do! Very nice, in fact....I didn't know Tom Dowd had boosted the stereo tapes a little, but that sure does explain the hiss level. But the Japan discs are at least honest to the original Stax Lp's, which I guess was my point.

ED:cool:

17. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

How is this compared to the earlier Atlantic 3 CD "The Otis Reddding Story"
    which sounds like a flat transfer to me that has lots of hiss!!

18. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Mono is used, and like Steve says, the stereo stuff DOES have a lot of toppy Dowd.

The 4CD set takes care of his whole career. Pinetoppers single too (See 'Shout Alabama' for that amazing tube distorted sound) . Well done, I agree.

The stereo stuff is interesting (like the yellow Atlantic Soul Classics) but the uumph ain't in there.

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Can someone help me......my brother has some old live at the Apollo album....he has no cover and a blank label that just says Live at the Apollo...I think there are a bunch of artists on it.....Otis must have been very new on the scene because the audience is jeering for the first 30 seconds or so of Pain in my Heart.......you suddenly hear silence as they are mesmerized by his pained vocals......what album is this?

20. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Live in Europe has the better band (by far), but I've always liked the sloppy, in-your-face sound of Whiskey A Go Go better. Otis live is hard to beat.

21. I have a stereo yellow label VOLT pressing of Dictionary of Soul. You all can touch it after you pry it out of my cold, dead hands. I love this album in stereo, egregious eq choices be damned!

22. I prefer this set to the "Otis" set. It's not all ballads and I like the stereo mixes. Let it hiss!!!

"Home In Your Heart" (mono) is my favourite ever Otis performance.

23. Steve Hoffman

That's the one where Otis sings only out of the right channel? I call that a "Half An Otis" LP....

McLover likes this.
  24. I guess that makes 'Rubber Soul' half a Beatles record, and "Savoy Truffle" and "When I'm 64" half-Beatles songs!

25. Steve Hoffman

That's right, bud. Whatever you do, don't move your head towards the left speaker....:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.