Warning: Fake Lennon Signature & Dylan Mono boxes are out there

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by sparkydog, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident Thread Starter

I discovered fake Lennon Signature boxes ($30) & Dylan Mono boxes ($16) yesterday on a Chinese website. Beware - they'll be available all over eBay and through 3rd party sellers before Christmas.

[​IMG]

View attachment 164403

2. phish

phish Jack Your Body

they sure do produce those things cheaply to sell them for those prices. it seems like the printing alone would exceed those prices to produce.

3. You have to hand it to the Chinese they sure are enterprising! :D

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I've seen the fake Beatles Stereo set and the quality clearly explains the cheap price! They are horrible.

Manufacturing costs are usually a small part of the selling price anyway.

Eddie

5. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

6. The Chinese have a massive amount of manufacturing capacity sitting idle right now. As the main producer for American goods, their factories have downtime now that the American consumer has pulled back on consumption since the recession began.

In bulk quantities and no need to pay any licensing fees, those boxes are probably priced at cost plus a 30% margin built into the overall price.

7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

So that is where Amazon got their supply of Dylan Mono boxes ;)

8. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

But didn't the Dylan MONO boxes also include the bonus disc too? Which is worth $20?

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I hope you noticed the ;)
    The Amazon boxes are real, I have one purchased at the higher price.

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Glad I got my Dylan box from Amazon (with the bonus disc).

11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

So that's not really John's autograph on my copy?

raphph likes this.
  12. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I hope not. I paid $40 at Amazon for mine in Friday's sale - I could have got a Chinese copy for that! :shh:

13. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

Does anyone have, or has anyone seen a fake Dylan box? I got a "made in th EU" sealed box without the Brandeis disc and I was just wondering. It looks to be pretty real, but I haven't opened it yet, and honestly, I got an open box already so I was hoping to keep this one sealed (please no comments on the merits of keeping things sealed vs. opening).

The insert is there with no spelling errors, as well as the stickers outside the shrinkwrap, which is sturdy. The set is not smelly at all!. I'm pretty certain it's legit, but was curious if anyone had seen a fake one.

14. http://cgi.ebay.com/BOB-DYLAN-ORIGI...t=AU_Wholesale_Lots_Music&hash=item1e62b64434

If you want one, there is your opportunity.

This is a top rated seller with apparently many counterfeit boxes but no Dylan Mono set currently although I noticed some last year. A member at QuadraphonicQuad purchased a Doors Perception fake set from the seller and requested a refund and received it, I guess that is why he is a top rated seller receiving a discount for selling counterfeits. Notice the private feedback making it difficult to know.

http://shop.ebay.com/releon55/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

15. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

My favourite used & new CD shop has a counterfeit Lennon box. Apparently, a customer brought it in and one of the clerks bought it, not realizing it was fake.

I told the owner. Fortunately, the customer that brought it in is a regular, so he'll be asked about it the next time he comes in.

Looks like if anyone is one the fence about getting one, it may be better to get one sooner than later...

16. JackJD

JackJD All I Want is the Truth...

How can you tell if the Lennon Signature Box is a fake?

Any pictures...?

:wave:

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I've also seen some very low priced Rolling Stones SHM-CD collection boxes out there. I would be careful with those as well.

18. JackJD

Anyone...? Anyone...? Bueller?

19. helter

helter Forum Resident

It's says "fake box set" in small print on the bottom of the box

20. JackJD

WRONG!!!!

I looked for that...!!!

It also does not say:

"This box is real... Real is this box."

in small print on the bottom of the genuine box.

21. I have not seen any reports here of members getting stuck with one and even if there were, there may be different variations of the fake boxes available to purchase. Discovering a fake is usually pretty easy when you have it in your hands. About the only thing I know to do, purchase from a legitimate source, one you know would never knowingly sell a counterfeit. That is a near guarantee it will be a properly licensed and manufactured product. Yes, I know there have been reports of counterfeit products making it into legitimate retail channels but getting a counterfeit from Barnes & Noble or similar reputable retailer is about the same odds as winning the PowerBall lottery.

If you are purchasing from an eBay seller at a fraction of the price the product could have been purchased from the best price mainstream reputable retailer, you are playing the PowerBall odds again but this time it is the chance that you will get what you want.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Whatever happened to that guy who was obsessed with proving that his Beatles mono box was real? Maybe he finally cracked up...

23. Peter_R

Was at my favourite used CD shop this afternoon.

Much to my surprise, up for grabs was discs 10 & 11, i.e. Singles & Home Tapes

Was quite surprised to see someone part with just those discs.

However, when I got home, upon closer inspection, I'm 99% sure these are (or at least one of them is) counterfeit. :realmad:

I've included some photographs in hopes that if these are counterfeit, others won't get burned:

Attached Files:

24. Peter_R

One of the things that clued me in is that one of the discs is almost aluminum-to-centre. Furthermore, the aluminum to centre isn't equidistant.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.