WARNING! Records are now a prime target for mail thieves!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by paulmock, Feb 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's unlikely so let's shame the guy who was trying to be helpful and point out an unlikely scenario. Let's hound him right off the board. That'll teach him to suspect the unlikely!

lightbulb, Dino and Front 242 Addict like this.
  2. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I think it does not matter if the OP right or not , He had good intentions and there is no reason to throw an insult or make fun of him, there are other way to say to someone that you think that he is wrong.

3. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Packages get stolen off people's porches. It happens every day. It happens to my neighbor enough that the post office has just started delivering their packages to my house, since I work from home and can pick things up as soon as the doorbell rings.

If the OP had just said that in relation to LPs, that's good and useful advice.

Bizarre tales of porch thieves who just happen to carry rolls of tape in case the boxes they open don't contain merchandise they wish to steal? Less so.

izgoblin and scotth like this.
  4. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

In the UK, it's pretty much meant to run in the same manner, they take the parcel back, leave a "We tried to deliver" card so you can re-arrange delivery or collection. Sometimes they'll knock on a neighbour's door and ask if they could keep it, but that's getting less common these days (unless you state that you will accept that option when you order something).
    Leaving things on doorsteps? Yep, it does happen, but it's certainly more of an anomaly here than commonplace.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

According to the Facebook page of our Neighborhood Watch here, vehicles have been seen following the UPS, or Fed Ex trucks, and thieves grabbing as heavy as a 98lb. pkg. off a porch ?!?! I have no idea to the validity of such claims, as I'm not out there, and even rumors of delivery drivers being in on the stealing ?

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  6. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Warning Tax Returns Prime Target for Identify Theives!!!!!

Please use an alias when filing this year. You'll be glad you did.

DVEric, scotth and Sandinista like this.
  7. dkmonroe

Exactly. I am often stunned by the tenacity people have in defending their presumed right to be dickish about something. Some threads are like a remake of Mean Girls starring a buncha middle aged men.

Easy-E and zphage like this.
  8. dkmonroe

I AGREE that what he described and his interpretation of it is unlikely. I was right there with that from the beginning. That is not the point.

9. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

The temporary mailman on my block was stealing Christmas cash intended for the regular mailman. Another postal worker saw an empty envelope in the thief's car and he got busted and fired.

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I shred everything!

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, it's more likely that steal stuff, inspect it, and if it's of no interest, dump it in the nearest dumpster.

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You dont have to.

Then again, I dont have the stats for how often stolen packages may happen. Im a better safe than sorry guy, I guess. Ive had packages left in the rain, had them dropped over the fence hitting concrete. Nope never stolen, but being preemptive isnt always a bad thing.

Maybe some of us arent as lucky as you?

13. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Maybe this "theif" is really just going around cutting people's packages open and resealing them just to create this kind of paranoia. Of course, this only applies to the kind of people who could imagine such scenario, instead of the most likely, "huh, that's weird" response that probably occurs IF most people notice.

I imagine every day this person is searching the internet for "package cut open and resealed but nothing stolen" finding threads like this and laughing uncontrollably at this thread.

I don't understand the defense of the original poster. This is a blatant click bait thread with absolutely no evidence to back up the OPs claim of attempted theft. Pointing this out isn't being a jerk, it is being honest.

Robert C and Juan Matus like this.
  14. dkmonroe

You really think that the OP created this thread as "clickbait" and wanted the response he got? Look at his responses - are they the tone of someone trolling the board? Look at many of the responses he got - you really can't see that some are just "being a jerk?"

15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

This seems like as good a place as any to revive one of my constant complaints. I get torqued that eBay and Paypal feel it's necessary to advertise their services on the domestic USPS shipping labels they print. It's not even vaguely effective advertising, both buyer and seller know they used eBay and/or Paypal to complete the transaction. It's no business of anyone who may see the package in between. I cut that crap off before I affix the label. Why don't they just put on the package THIEVES TAKE NOTE - MERCHANDISE ENCLOSED

16. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

...that's worth money to someone so we'll sell it and get the cash. What's not to understand?

Ed

17. Nostaljack

This has been mentioned in one way or another ad-nauseum. We get it. Some of you aren't feeling the thread. Cool. Leave it peacefully then. Why do you feel the need to pile on? Who does that?

Ed

NotOneStraw and johnaltman like this.
  18. dkmonroe

Everyone here is only acquainted with the higher echelon of criminals who would never soil their hands with something as tawdry as merchandise.

Robert C and Nostaljack like this.
  19. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I definitely see your point of view about the mockery and cat-calling on this thread, but you seem to be saying this is flash-mob bullying and cruelly trolling the OP and I think that’s an exaggeration. It’s been pretty mild stuff as far as I can tell. If you never want to be laughed at, don’t rough-house on the Internet.

A less amped-up and arm-waving title — an accurate thread-title — would have kept the court jesters away.

Comet01, Myke and DVEric like this.
  21. Nostaljack

Common sense and forum rules should have done the trick, no?

Ed

22. dkmonroe

The OP didn't "rough-house" - he posted something that he was concerned about and wanted to warn others about (maybe miscontruing the evidence, admittedly), and people started accusing him of violating the law of God and man.

Nostaljack likes this.
  23. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Ah, it's partial a d d. What happens when I stop drinking. :yikes:

the beave

24. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Oh my Gosh I was hoping that this would NOT happen.
    You mean you think he stole his OWN Albums so he could post on the Steve Hoffman Site??????
    This just can't be happening.
    It just can't be......
    the beave

Sandinista likes this.
  25. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Oh... Well then I'd better be careful nobody finds out what I did last weekend if that's all it takes.

dkmonroe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.