WARNING! Records are now a prime target for mail thieves!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by paulmock, Feb 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Cracking story, made this whole thread worth it!

2. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

First of all, thanks to @paulmock for the thread and shame on those who made fun of it.

Now, I think I've found the culprits. There is a secret society called "The Sinatra Squad". It's runned by @MLutthans and @MMM. They have people all over the world opening packages sent to forum members who post in Sinatra threads looking for rare or unknown Sinatra records. Watch out!

douglas mcclenaghan, MMM and paulmock like this.
  3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident Thread Starter

QUOTE="4stringking73, post: 13855236, member: 45773"]Today I received a package yesterday from Amazon (all cd's inside) that was transferred to USPS from UPS using *smartpost*. Anyway, it was opened and resealed similar to the way the original poster stated in the beginning of this thread. Also the corrugated zipper side of the package was untouched. Guess this could possibly be a new thing with USPS? As long as my stuff is ok, I am cool with it. Also I live in Ohio in the middle of Amish country, not much mail theft in these parts. It is like Andy Griffith here except even more remote. Now I also had cd's delivered yesterday by UPS from Amazon and the package wasn't opened at all. So I am guessing maybe that the post office is inspecting things for damage so they don't get dinged for stuff that gets damaged when handed over by UPS through UPS *smartpost* to be delivered by USPS? Again, I don't care as long as my stuff is not messed up. I must admit that it would be kinda cool to find a Amish audiophile/thief out here. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I finally feel "vindicated" here. I see that it is in fact happening elsewhere for reasons unknown.

To anyone who gives a rat's a%^...I am sorry if my OP was taken as over-the-top or misleading, etc. However, I was truly taken aback by this occcurnace happening twice in succession. It has never happened to me before.

As far as any of those who considered me a "troll" I would ask that you look at my posting history. Aside from getting on @MLutthans back once in awhile I am a pretty decent guy and regular poster here. Please note that unlike most of those who flamed me, I do not hide under any phony nickname, etc and proudly post my picture with Lord Stanley.

Can we all end this peacefully now and move on? Thank you all.:targettiphat:

4. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I have to say that every time I see the thread title I laugh. Thank you paulmock for the unintentionally hilarious thread title.

johnaltman, Comet01 and Myke like this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident Thread Starter

Specifically odd-ball pressings of Only the Lonely!!!!!

mick_sh likes this.
  6. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

No worries, mate. Excellent post. And sorry about the piling-on.

:nauga:

Nostaljack and Sternodox like this.
  7. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Your original post never came off as trolling. Just a little more... anxious than was probably healthy.

The upswing is that it looks as if what you encountered was some kind of postal inspection rather than any foul play - which beats the hell out of the alternative.

We need a new farewell on the board: "May your stylus always be flawless and your mail untouched!" :winkgrin:

4stringking73, Sternodox and paulmock like this.
  8. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

This is way better than the ponies and horses thread

9. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I know. Once I ordered a mint grey label A Swingin' Affair signed by Sinatra himself and when I opened the seal broken box there was a duophonic ASA instead, with a bonus Norberg mastered CD. The Sinatra Squad!

paulmock likes this.
  10. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Phew. Glad the mail thieves didn't snatch my package containing four Taco 12" singles that I drunkenly bought on eBay while "Puttin' On The Ritz" was on the juke at the bar.

Runicen and elvismcdouglas like this.
  11. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Thank you for the heads up regarding the warning. However, it sounds like it could not be someone in the USPS that could be the culprit here. I think that thieves are looking for any kind of package regardless of whether it is a record or some other delivery.

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If you watch those reality shows on customs/border control, they are always opening packages they suspect might contain contraband. They also open packages if they suspect that proper import taxes have not been paid.

13. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Now I understand why I never received my Velvet Revolver debut album.

MikesChinHair likes this.
  14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I've only had a couple of records not arrive over the last ten years. I suspect it was an error by the mailman, because I have received other peoples records, iPhones, and other packages several times over the last ten years.

15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Don't hear about Contraband much anymore. Pretty good supergroup.

[​IMG]

Combination and 4stringking73 like this.
  16. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Get a surveillance camera.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  17. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

This has been one of the funniest threads in a long time. Thanks to the OP for making paranoia even more entertaining to watch than usual. Wish I caught it sooner.

GentleSenator and scotth like this.
  18. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Maybe they are digital thieves opening the package to steal the MP3 download codes.... :)

Comet01, scotth and Ash76 like this.
  19. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Is there a cats and kittens thread?

20. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

nobody seems interested in the kind of music that I listen to at all.

c-eling likes this.
  21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

When I checked on my last SoundStageDirect package in the mail this week, it was opened in places and overall very disheveled. I was horrified.

When I opened it up, there was a quickly scribbled note that said "Tame Impala? Lissie? What is this s**t? Not worth stealing!!"

starduster and Runicen like this.
  22. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

You know you're in trouble when degenerates are disgusted by your taste in music.

Gaslight and starduster like this.
  23. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

No kidding, I doubt anyone would want my Front242 catalog :D

24. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

I have my more valuable records shipped without a receipt. Otherwise, I put my trust in the mail gods.

25. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I work with my wife at here brick and mortar bookstore, have my own part-time book business, have a small vinyl business in our local music store and occasionally purchase books and records on-line (but always look first at local shops/ small businesses ) for my own shelves, so I see a lot of media items come and go via (almost always) USPS. Considering that fairly large volume of shipped material and the few problems I've encountered over the years I would have to say USPS does an outstanding job!

Runicen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.