Warning to all record collectors!!! (outer bag/inner sleeve concerns)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockadelic, Oct 17, 2014.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

If it happens to anyone prise it off using a warm hair dryer.
    I assume the adhesive was on the flap and not on the rear?
    If so cut away!

Wuther likes this.
  2. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

Also if the vinyl is black and gets white patches from platicicers leaching on to the record, then you will hear a hissing sound when you listen to it
    Trust me when i say get rid of the outer pvc sleeves on your records
    They might protect the outer sleeve but could destroy your whole collection
    The more humid/hotter the enviroment, the worse it will be

Chris79, All Down The Line and APH like this.
  3. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

4. All Down The Line

Exactly right, help yourself and follow this advice to benefit from others hard won experience!

5. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Regarding the PVC outer sleeves:

When I first read this thread almost four years ago I went through my records and removed all of the PVC outer sleeves. I didn't really have a lot of them; a few Simply Vinyl titles on LP, a Joe Strummer live LP, a few 7" singles, and a handful of the David Bowie 7" picture discs. The only record that showed any "gassing" effect was a Hold Steady 7" single of "Sequestered in Memphis", and yes, it makes a whooshing sound when played.

But I had duplicate copies of a few titles: a Simply Vinyl copy of Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" and two of the earliest Bowie 7" picture discs. So I decided to conduct a little experiment with the duplicates. I removed the PVC outer sleeve from one copy of each of these three records and kept the duplicates in the PVC sleeves. Yeah, crazy, I know. I did not however, file the PVC-clad records back in my shelves amongst other records; I kept them out separately. Now, almost four years later, I can report that none of these three records has been "gassed". Make of that what you will.

But despite this positive result, I am not putting any records back in the PVC sleeves. Just thought I'd share this info.

6. All Down The Line

If they were tightly packed in and there was heat you would not be gassed about the end result!

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I normally remove the sticky flap sleeves from new records that come in them such as Beatles Mono. I left the ones on the new Stones set as glue is on jacket and not flap - but still might swap for normal poly sleeves long term to avoid any chance of an accident. I actually keep the removed ones in a box.

8. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I have a copy of The Wall that had this fogging exactly in the center of one side of the record in the shape of a rectangle. It took me a while to figure out that it was exactly where the sticker you can find on most of The Wall pressings laid on the outside of the jacket. Now I found this thread and everything is explained. So, yeh, be careful with your copies of The Wall, at least the old ones.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  9. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

Well done, that explains why so many Wall's have bag rash on them, its a very common fault and yet it is so hard to explain how the poly sticker on the outside of the sleeve can cause fogging on the inside, obviously some chemical reaction is going on involving the vinyl, polysticker and storage conditions !!

dastinger likes this.
  10. You are right to a degree, but when I noticed problems with even outer plastic sleeves 20 years ago and I never ever use any sort of chemical on vinyl - and issues
    with inner sleeve fogging black vinyl , I dumped all plastic. I do have an aversion to 'soft' plastic for various reasons and understanding the matrix of what makes
    plastic 'soft' and pliable after it's cooled - they put nasty stuff in. It's absorbant as well as expellent depending on various factors. Plastic sucks and men should
    avoid touching it due to the estrogenic properties of soft PVC / plastic vinyls. I will only use PVC sleeves on an LP record for short duration for example if I'm
    selling a bunch of rare records at the local record show, to protect it from too many greasy hands but that's only a few hours.

11. #truth

\\

Gumboo likes this.
  12. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Stay away from records period. They're full of toxins -- just like the inner sleeves and outer slip covers. And the inks used for cover art? Basically a layer of ebola on cardstock. Symptoms of LP toxicity include a desire to live in urban areas awash with pollution from traffic and outgassing from materials commonly used for home interiors, a desire to consume artificially enhanced foods wrapped in cellophane and other plastic packaging, and applications of chemicals to ones hair and skin, face, etc.

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I use the Blakes Sleeves, they have the adhesive strip on the body of the sleeve not the flap. If you accidently put your record sleeve on the adhesive strip it easily peels off without any marks. They’re also not PVC so safe to use with your records.

16. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

These are what i use after cleaning new/used mobile fidelity vinyl, or a used record were the inner sleeve is pooped
    The nagoka style for everything else

17. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I've been doing some research into fogging of records, supposedly caused by PVC off-gassing. I've got some good examples of fogged records, but I've been unable to find a "PVC inner". Does such a thing exist or are the examples of fogging/"rash" people are reporting solely from PVC outers?

Chris79 and Raunchnroll like this.
  18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I think it does. From my research on here the plastic inner sleeves that have a pink hue to them could cause this issue. A while back I went through my collection and replaced all (or most) of them with mo-fi sleeves. I believe some of the Hendrix and Pink Floyd reissues (in the last 10 years) had these type of inner sleeves.

19. Raunchnroll

The majority of fogged cases are coming from records stored in actual PVC outer slip covers or sleeves. This has been my experience as well. PVC was rarely used for record inner sleeves. Some years ago a reissue label used a pink tinted inner that sometimes left fogging. I had a couple reissues that used this and the inner looked oily. Nasty inner. One of the few times I actually disposed of the inner because something was clearly wrong with it.

The sub-issue is inner sleeves that use poly liners (common in UK pressings during the 60's & 70's) - these have not proved to be a problem unless the record was stored improperly, cleaning residue remained on the record etc. There is no simple formula that equates to fogging. Also, sometimes fogging comes completely off, sometimes it can be reduced, sometimes it remains despite cleaning. Sometimes it can be heard, sometimes it makes no perceptible sound at all.

20. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

might be a confusion over terms, the inners I meant are polylined and sleeves from the UK polydor/philips/fontana group 69-72 seem to be the biggest culprits ( plastic bags are dangerous )

21. All Down The Line

Generally outers in warm environments.

Gavinyl likes this.
  22. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

How about if I just don't store my records in the unfinished part of my basement? It sounds like the problems don't occur when temp. is regulated, ie the finished part of the basement where I have hvac and a dehumidifier.

23. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The records I'm looking at have not been stored in outer sleeves, kept in archival conditions since new, and in polyethylene-lined inner sleeves. Amongst them are Stereo Decca SXL series from ~1968-1975 that show varying stages of fogging or 'sticking' to the inner sleeve. Polyethylene is inert and archivally safe for the storage of vinyl, so I'm starting to wonder if it's something to do with a bad vinyl solution rather than the sleeve.

Seperately, PVC outers should be avoided and do cause fogging as a result of off-gassing (as most of us here know). More soon :)

[​IMG]

All Down The Line likes this.
  24. Raunchnroll

The sleeve shown in the picture is the early Emitex type used for Parlophones. The liners switched from a polypropylene to a tracing type paper right around 1964 or so. Decca products used a basically identical inner, but differently marked i.e. the so called "Handling / Playing" text. Both Decca and EMI product inner sleeves used two distinct types of poly linings. One is a more opaque less transparent type - which is also perceptibly thicker - the other a 'clear' poly that's thinner. In my experience neither one by itself causes any residue or fogging to the records - whatsoever. And its extremely unlikely that the high quality vinyl these records are noted for were from a problematic unstable formula. If that were the case -- vinyl fogging would be a relatively uniform constant for these old records. Its not.

The environment records have been stored in over decades has a big part to do with their present condition. Home heating system and cooking leave airborne oils and hydrocarbons in our home interiors. You live in an urban environment, close to a paved street, where cars whizz by daily, year after year, grinding at the asphalt, shedding off micro amounts of brake and bearing material that becomes airborne & settles in and around homes. Anyone who has a window or glass object up out of reach - even in a rarely used bedroom - is probably familiar with the residue found on it after only a year or so. Records are not (normally) hermetically sealed off from your home interior. 40 years is a lot of exposure to contaminants. And I'm leaving out deliberate 'cleaning' some records have undergone in their lifetime. Some of that old timey cleaning wasn't really so clean.

All Down The Line and Robert C like this.
  25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This thread popping up always makes me think of Count Floyd's Monster Chiller Horror Theatre on SCTV. "Very scary.... Ah-hoooooooooooooo!!"

[​IMG]

lazydawg58, Gavinyl and jamesc like this.