Warning to all record collectors!!! (outer bag/inner sleeve concerns)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockadelic, Oct 17, 2014.

1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Can the U2 singles be found cheaply w/o picture sleeves? I'd try and get them again off of eBay if you adore the set. Otherwise move on and learn from it.

I'm keeping an eye on my picture disc collection. Many are not fogged after 30 years, other are a bit.

Case by case thing.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

That is true.

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

How about the slip case on the new White Album box set? Do you guys think it’s made out of PVC? And if it is made out of PVC do you think setting it next to my other boxes with records and will cause a problem ?

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Certain types of plastics / pvc together get along ok where others do not.

I've got picture discs from 1988 and 1989 doing just fine with their PVC outer covers. Others got a little bit hazy in a spot of two and have been removed from the PVC cover, and not just that - but cleaned with soap and water moved away from the other Picture discs in the collection.

It's not 100% predictable if a disc is going to be effected or not. I have some 7" picture discs that I should take a look at soon, which last time I looked were fine.

(edit) sorry I notice I am repeating myself here.

5. HeydayKilbey

HeydayKilbey Forum Resident

It's good to see this issue still being discussed so anyone that doesn't know about it can get an idea of what's going on.

I don't know why some people still dismiss this is being BS or just down to climate. I have stored my records in a perfectly climate controlled area for decades, I keep the AC on 76 so the house is never hot. I haven't had a ton of damage due to this issue but have had several 12" singles and 7" singles damaged. Picture discs usually fair a little better, I think it's due to the fact that they are not exactly the same composition as regular vinyl, so maybe don't react quite as badly. The issue is completely with the PVC outer sleeve, climate may exacerbate it, but the issue is the sleeve itself.

I also don't know why people still take a chance and leave the sleeves on and just check back every so often on the vinyl to make sure it's still ok. Why would you risk it? If you do that, I would also be checking the vinyl on either side of the PVC sleeve as well as even ones next to it can be impacted.

When I found out about this years ago I removed all my PVC sleeves from my collection, 12 & 7", everything; again, why risk it. I didn't throw them away , I just store them all in a box separate away from the collection. I put notes for each in the PVC sleeve so I know which record it belongs to, I do this for all past and future purchases with PVC sleeves. Even if there was no reaction, it's out of the collection. It's a simple and safe way to still keep the sleeves but not worry about damaging any vinyl in the future. I highly recommend this practice to everyone, even if you're not that worried or you're not sure if the sleeve is PVC or not. Just get it out of the collection already so you don't have to worry about it!

Robert C and Chris79 like this.
  6. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

I've had a few records ruined by PVC outers. I believe the reaction is chemical and irreversible. BUT...

...I recently played a damaged record that used to have a persistent swooshing noise, however, this time the noise seems to be less intrusive and distracting. The surface also appeared to have less haziness than before. I had stored this record in a paper sleeve in its cover without any outer sleeve. Maybe the damage can be partially reversed if the record is not enclosed in plastic covers. It would take a matter of years though.

I could be imagining this (audio memory is not a reliable thing) but there's a little ray of hope perhaps!

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've had the symptom reverse when it had not gotten bad yet.

A good soap wash and dry and then into a paper sleeve. That's all you can do really and hope that in six months or more it's going away.

hockman likes this.
  8. Lanark

Lanark The French for deja-vu

I have heard about this issue in the past but never really took it that seriously until I found this in my record cabinet yesterday.

This is a "Record Store Day" special from 2012 (Sara Watkins 7") it was in a spreckled/coloured vinyl in a PVC sleeve.

You can see that the markings on it line up exactly with the edge of the outer sleeve and also on the other side a small area with the barcode label on the outer was free from damage. This makes me think it could be sunlight related?
    The marks do not wash off (I tried) it looks and sounds as though the disc has been scrubbed with fine sandpaper.

PVC Plastic sleeves are the work of the devil

[​IMG]

AaronW and Robert C like this.
  9. Lanark

Lanark The French for deja-vu

This has me wondering about the David Bowie LP Black Star which has very thick inner plastic sleeves, I'm not sure what kind of plastic they are and how long they will stand up over time - the Star cutout in the Cardboard could also exacerbate any problems.

10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure I stuck that one in a new sleeve just based on the sharp edge of the plastic.

Robert C, Lanark and Vinyl Addict like this.
  11. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Hi Guys! I need your help. What would be the best way to clean something like this. It's like some oily residue over the record. I usually use L'art du Son but it's not helping. Would a mix of alcohol and distilled water help. Afterward clean it with L'art du Son and vacum? Thanks!

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

12. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

[/QUOTE]

Looks and sounds like it,s too far gone, another victim to PVC covers
    Try the method you described to clean it, if it fails bin the record

All Down The Line likes this.
  13. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

When I had a copy of The Wall with that issue, nothing helped. Pure isopropyl, mixed with distilled water, brushing, paint-pad, nothing. It's some kind of reaction that embeds whatever that is on the vinyl. I believe you're out of luck :(

14. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Thanks guys. I'll try the cleaning and report back.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  15. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

If you're willing to look past the "don't use things that might damage the molecular integrity of the vinyl" arguments (which are pointless when the record might already be a writeoff), things like Formula 409 are degreasers that can sometimes break down the crud if you're patient/persistent/etc...

All Down The Line likes this.
  16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Have you tried a magic eraser? I mean, if it's ruined anyway, go for it if all else fails.

17. HeydayKilbey

HeydayKilbey Forum Resident

There is no fix for this issue, the reaction changes the vinyl, it can't come back. If anyone has actually brought their vinyl back to life so to speak, then it was just some sort of film from a sleeve, maybe not even PVC, and not the reaction from the PVC sleeve itself. Would be nice if there was a fix, but the only thing to do is remove all of these sleeves from your collection and you'll be fine.

groovelocked likes this.
  18. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

You are right. I tried everything and there is not cure... Thanks for all your answers guys. Much appreciated.

19. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

At the British Library Sound Archive we are experimenting on records that have been damaged by pvc sleeves and hope to eventually develop a sleeve for archival purposes that would enable a pvc sleeve to be stored with its corresponding record without the off-gassing damaging the record. This would be useful in cases where a record comes with a pvc sleeve that has a design on it or is in some way relevant to the overall product and therefore needs to be kept.

We are trying to source records that have undergone pvc damage but it is difficult to find them online as you don't often find listings for faulty records! If anyone here would be interested in helping us by supplying pvc damaged records we would be happy to purchase them. Please PM me here with some photos of the discs if you're interested.

Thank you,
    Robert

20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

While I'm not particularly interested in selling my copy of this record, I see that there are cheap copies of it (from UK sellers) on discogs: Twin Freaks (3) - Really Love You (All Versions) For Sale at Discogs Marketplace

If you look at the pics from my old post, you'll see some pretty remarkable examples of the "ghosting" effect. I'd imagine if you inquire with the sellers above, you'd easily find a comparably "damaged" item.

Robert C likes this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have a copy of Street Survivors badly fogged but I tossed out the pvc outer jacket that ruined it.

I would guess you need both the record and the poisonings inner sleeve or outer jacket to measure the interaction going on?

22. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. All Down The Line

Why don't you tightly stack up your own cheap selections in PVC bags in a hot room and create your own off gassing?

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not all records (inside pvc) and not all sleeves have the fogging effect. I have mid-80s picture discs that are perfect and shine like diamonds they were meant to be. Then I have others that did not do so well including a couple of really nice rare ones. I got them out of their poisonous bags/sleeves before total ruin, but they got it a bit. Floyd and Zeppelin bootleg picture discs were on their way to ruin. Stored right next to the Johnny Thunders (New Rose UK), and Cramps PDs which are fine.

It’s a Vinyl and poly bag chemical reaction of certain compositions. Certain pressings and certain bags.

The library type with card pocket are the pure rotten and evil ones. Yes, library grade are the worst imo.

25. All Down The Line

Yes I know all that but as poster says people do not advertise these damaged records.
    He can do a numbers game by buying a stack of worthless vinyl and with some knowledge use a variety of pvc type bags knowing at least some will give the desired effect eventually.
    It sure happened to me with pvc.