Warning to all record collectors!!! (outer bag/inner sleeve concerns)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockadelic, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

So, is polypropylene also bad for vinyl? Most polylined paper sleeves use polypropylene.

2. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

No. It is the thick outer sleeves you see on records at the library that are the problem.

Slowpaw, ptijerm and Joel S like this.
  3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Is there a post that breaks down what is good and what is bad? I assume MoFi plastic sleeves are okay. Am I right on that? What's a decent paper or rice sleeve?

4. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

LP sleaves

5. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Has no one told Myles B. Astor about the typo in his title after all these years? :laugh:

nodeerforamonth, jon9091 and Robert C like this.
  6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

How exactly does one tell the good sleeves from the dangerous ones?

7. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

After reading a lot of this thread, I think I'll just use new paper sleeves. I don't trust any plastic anymore. I buy lots of used vinyl, which I haven't tried cleaning yet, and a lot of those records stored in plastic liners have fog and/or wavy patterns. The ones stored in paper are just dusty. Frankly, I don't want to find out years from now when it's too late that the sleeves that were supposed to be safe actually weren't.

8. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

I have a full set of the Bowie 40th anniversary picture discs (including the rarer Starman disc that was released first) and it took me a couple years but I finally sliced the seals on all of the PVC sleeves and pulled the discs out into Disckeeper rice paper sleeves and put the whole package into a 7" sleeve. These are beautiful records that I couldn't risk getting cloudy just to keep that seal intact.

9. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Anyone has tried the Audiophile Diskeepers for 7 Inch?

I'm not fan of the audiophile diskeepers but! there's not too much options of sleeves for 7inch singles, so! maybe they are the best for 7 inch? they truly keep the static out? (of course after a proper clean, static tools removal etc.) Possibly a stupid question, because they look the same as the 12 inch diskeepers.

Sadly my favorite sleeves Goldring Exstatic not make sleeves for 7 or 10 inch. Sleeve City do Audiophile Diskeepers for 7 and 10 inch.

Diskeeper™ 7'' Ultimate Audiophile Inner Sleeve (50 Pack)
    Diskeeper™ 10'' Ultimate Audiophile Inner Sleeve (50 Pack)

10. HeydayKilbey

HeydayKilbey Forum Resident

I use all of the Ultimate Audiophile Inner Sleeves, 7", 10" and 12". They are all the same, just different sizes, and in my opinion they are hands down the best innersleeve on the market. Nothing even comes close. They don't add a static charge, but if you put a record in there that already has a high static charge, you probably won't get rid of it just by putting it in the sleeve. But they are pretty good with static in my experience. I clean all records on my Nitty Gritty machine so I get rid of static that way from the get go. Then, if after playing a charge has been added, I zap it with my zero stat gun before putting back in the sleeve, so I never really put anything in the sleeve that has a charge. But these sleeves are highly recommended, I use nothing else.

11. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

it seems my request as been listened!

You asked and Sleeve City listened! Now available Ultimate 7" 5.0 mil Polypro Outer Sleeves!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Smith likes this.
  12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thanks, the ultimates are into my 4 sleeves that I ever try, but are a little hard/rough, I prefer thin soft sleeves, actually some in the past has report that they can scratch a little the discs, I don't know if was a bad batch or something (you can read on back pages of this or around this forum), but maybe is people that pull in/out the records fast and without take care, but anyway, yes are good, I'll buy it for 7 inch, for now is the best that I can find.

by the way my top 4 are:
    1. Goldring Exstatic
    2. MaRecordings
    3. Mofi
    4. Audiophile Diskeepers

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’ve seen it on a brand new record - Paul McCartney’s Electric Arguments. The PVC outer is wavy, and the record is fogged, except for small round spot where the CD included with the LP blocked the gas. Maybe it was in a high temp/high humidity warehouse?

mrjinks likes this.
  14. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

I have to respectfully disagree, Audiophile Diskeepers do not scratch records and are hands down better than Mofi. My prized records got switched from Mofi to the Audiophile Diskeepers.

DeRosa likes this.
  15. HeydayKilbey

Agreed, I think you'd have to try really hard to scratch a record with these sleeves, they're certainly not rough, very smooth in fact. They are certainly thicker than the flimsy sleeves but not in any way rough. To each their own for sure, I just find the thin, soft sleeves do not protect very much, you can easily scratch through those if not careful and actually damage the record. They are a bit expensive for sure, but worth every penny.

DeRosa likes this.
  16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

AlexDelarge HeydayKilbey

Just to be clear, personally I'm not saying that Audiophile Diskeepers leave scratches, I just saying some people report that in this forum (you can search it for), and yes! maybe is people that pull in/out the records very hard/fast, I do that very carefully to avoid contact.

One thing that I like of the Diskeepers is the solid/flat corners, so the entire thing is easy to pull out/in on the plastic outer sleeve. I hate the mofi corners, is a like plastic bag with a curve on the sides. For that reason the Goldring Exstatic are my favs is like a mix between the diskeepers (very solid outside + flat ridged curves (due the smooth paper outside)) and a mofi inside (HDPE soft "rice paper") to protect the record.

I'm going to buy the Audiophile Diskeepers and 5mil Outers for 7 inch singles!

17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

18. HeydayKilbey

Yeah no worries, I don't take offence, everyone has their preference and whatever works for you is all that matters. I did a little search and found the thread I believe you were talking about. They were more talking about the regular Diskeeper Audiophile sleeves and not the Ultimate version which I use. The thread was from 2017 and it appears it was a bad batch from what I could tell. Nobody complained about the Ultimate sleeve that I could see.

But I think if you're not careful, you can cause a scratch with any sleeve to be honest. When I remove an lp, even from the Ultimate inner sleeve, I stick my hand in and put my finger on the label, and the hand against the edge of the lp, and bow the sleeve open so I don't really touch the innersleeve much if at all. The more careful you are the better when removing from any sleeve, so I've never really had an issue. I think all sleeves also have the potential for the occasional bubble in the plastic, so I always check for those as well just in case.

19. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Yes I prefer the Ultimate, the other is like a regular Mofi.

Exactly, that's the way that I pull out records from sleeves, of that way I avoid the contact with sleeve.

Just one thing that I don't like of the Ultimates (being too picky...) is the holes (to see the label) on the center, I don't need see the label, I prefer a full white paper on. That circle tends to leave a circle mark on the outersleeves after time on the (clearbags sleeves blakes), but we'll I'm going to buy the 5mil sleeve city sleeves.

20. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

If anyone here has been to record show or store, and watched how self ascribed audiophiles handle vinyl, you know that they could scratch a record just looking at it. No sleeve or slip cover or sleeve material can possibly counteract their handling methods.

21. Entombet

Entombet Forum Resident

Hi,

I live in Europe. Is there any place I could buy Sleeve City products and not paying 50-60 dollars for shipping from USA? 50-60 $ is the cheapest option for sending 3 items, 4 items - 108 $ just for shipping. That's how much they want on their official site, eBay - similar, they have store on Amazon.com but don't send to this part of the world.

22. All Plastics, clear or colored should be avoided. You are spouting disinformation that it's just "library" sleeves. We're talking a wide range of products. Do your homework.

23. Yes, it's a crapshoot and a time-bomb waiting to happen. ALL flexible plastics should not come into contact with Vinyl or your self and others in your house hold. It's all toxic and nonsense.
    Also outersleeves that CANNOT BREATH are also a prime candidate for getting accumulation of moisture into the paper of your Record sleeve... causing further issue if you
    live in humid / wet climate such as Portland . Like a little green house for spores to grow. There is no evidence Polypropylene is a stable product.

24. Good = Paper
    Bad
    = Plastics of any type.
    Simple equation . Like Chuck D said in 1988 , Don't believe the hype.