Warning to all record collectors!!! (outer bag/inner sleeve concerns)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockadelic, Oct 17, 2014.

1. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

The residue from the pinkies (used for awhile by RTI) wipes/washes off. Re-sleeve after cleaning and it’s as good as new. Rub your finger on the inside of the sleeve, you’ll feel it on your finger.

Jam757 likes this.
  2. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

IME once you remove the offending sleeve, the process stops. Usually, I leave the record in a porous material e.g. paper sleeve to air out for a few months before putting it into a permanent (plastic) sleeve just to be sure.

Jam757 likes this.
  3. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Any PAPER SLEEVE (I say PAPER! sleeve NOT JACKET!, I know jackets can hold any sleeve but Jackets are more expensive than a paper sleeves) with the size to HOLDS a MOFI SLEEVE inside?

I need a paper sleeve that can use beside a MoFi sleeve, the goal is the paper sleeve brings rigidity to the MoFi sleeves corners and overall to all the MoFi sleeve. You know the MoFi are like a light filmsy piece of plastic bag! very weak on the sides.

The goal is make a double sleeve, Paper + MoFi to make a solid packing.

pd: yes yes I know I can buy the sleeve city audiophile diskeepers to get a more solid sleeve and others but I explain later why I need a MoFi + Paper.

All Down The Line likes this.
  4. MielR

MielR THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Does the paper sleeve have to be on the outside? I've used the ones with the rounded corners inside inner pic sleeves that have seam splits. They're so fragile, they always split. The rounded corner sleeves slide in easily. They'd probably fit inside a mofi sleeve.

5. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thanks but yes the goal is the paper outside, the idea is use the mofi first inside to protect the record and the paper outside to make solid unit.

MielR and All Down The Line like this.
  6. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Check out the BCW polylined paper sleeves. It has an extra 1/8" width that allows you to easily slip your hand in for placing the record back in the sleeve without sliding it. And unlike the MoFi, it's sturdy and made in America. Cheaper on Amazon.
    Paper Record Sleeves 33 RPM - Polylined - SQ Corners - With Hole

7. Segasonic91

Segasonic91 Forum Resident

This was a huge problem in Australia with 12" records. They did not have an inner sleeve most of the time, so they were in direct contact with the cardboard sleeve. The sleeves had some kind of chemical that caused the horrible clouding. I was shocked when I looked at (this is very embarrassing to say) my Kylie Minogue 12" records as I was going to sell them as they were getting stupid money on crapbay. Every one of them was horribly clouded.

These were all on the Mushroom label, part of Festival Records. They were TERRIBLE fod it and almost 100% of their titles are effected. I really wish I had thought about inners as a kid. Especially once companies like WEA became too cgeap to include an inner!

My Like a Prayer and Immaculate Collection are covered in scratches from particles in the rough paper printed inners. I bought the CD of Like A Prayer 2 months after the record, so it was barely played. I got Immaculate Collection CD for Christmas 1990. I bought the record cheap, later on. Still new though. It was not played much either. Goddamned cheap bastards.

KAJ1971 and ispace like this.
  8. MielR

Are paper sleeves actually harmful to the surface of the vinyl? I use the mofi (or similar) sleeves too, but I thought the main advantage of those was to keep dust & moisture out.

9. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I found some of the Originals "Blake" Sleeves (Clearbags) around 8 years ago, the ones with flat/adhesive has a RED strip. (note: not confuse the RED strip with the RED strip from Japan outers sleeves, those Japan outers are the worst).

Also, I note after 8 years ago I don't see any degradation on the outer bags, they looks perfect, but of course I keep the sleeves in a seal box with silica gel to avoid problems.

I miss those and I think are the best 2mil outers that I ever try due the material, the size is great too, Clearbags change the material later without mention anything (the new material is not bad at all and even some may prefer it due are more "slippery") the originals are a little more sticky (due that I remember people making the blake "test", the test consist on pass the fingers and hear a squeeze rich sound) also the originals was more solid and even more clear than actuals. I still don't know which material was made, maybe I can ask to Clearbags and know why they change.

I would have liked to buy tons if i had known they would change. :shrug:

Sorry for the bad pics, but you got the idea:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    ispace likes this.
  10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Are you talking about INNER Sleeves? if yes, so which brand of PAPER INNER sleeves do you use?
    @aoxomoxoa link to RICE paper sleeves, RICE paper sleeves are totally different than pure PAPER sleeves.
    I'm confused with your comments.

11. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Why outer sleeves with adhesive strip glue can be risky.

[​IMG]

CBackley and Neonbeam like this.
  12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Any PAPER inner sleeve that can hold a MOFI inner sleeve inside?
    I remember try the bagsunlimited papers but not are as big to hold inside a MOFI inner sleeve.

13. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Is there a sleeve that is more recommended? There seems to be different types of clear plastic sleeves sold now. Some seem to make claims of safety

lazydawg58 likes this.
  14. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Honestly I think any clear poly sleeve for inner and outer works fine. You aren't going to harm your records with any of them. Some are a little thicker than others, some with a flap, etc., so personal preference in that regard.

I'm speaking for run of the mill albums. If you have $100 or more collectors items you might want to go with some of the more elaborate styles, expensive brands, but even then it is more than likely overkill.

Greenalishi likes this.
  15. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Thank you

16. MielR

ispace and Greenalishi like this.
  17. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

Is it possible for a bunched-up paper sleeve to mark up a vinyl LP? I think this is what caused a mark on one of my Monkees LPs.

18. lazydawg58

Those are probably caused by taking the record in and out of paper sleeves. Of course they don't affect playback because they are only surface marks. Another good reason to change out all those paper sleeves with Poly.

Greenalishi and NudieSuitNezHead like this.
  19. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

Thank you for the reassurance!

Greenalishi and lazydawg58 like this.
  20. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

I have a question. Isn't the PVC in the bags and the PVC in the records predominately the same thing? PVC. Everything I find online only extolls the toxicity of PVC. Why does anyone think records made of PVC are safe?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Greenalishi likes this.
  21. lazydawg58

It is the chemical reaction between the vinyl record and the PVC sleeve that is the problem, so if there's PVC in the record and it doesn't come in contact with a PVC sleeve there is no issue.

22. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

But the outer bag doesn't come in contact with the LP. They are separated by a (paper?) cover and a paper sleeve, in the case of outer PVC bags. But PVC, in and of itself, seems to be a huge problem.

23. lazydawg58

It appears that the close proximity between the two are enough for the chemical reaction to take place. (that is the observation of others not me, but I'm assuming they are correct) I'm not familiar with a PVC problem in general. I believe most plumbing in homes over the last 50 years or so has been PVC piping hasn't it?

24. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Why You Should Avoid PVC Products

lazydawg58 likes this.
  25. lazydawg58