Warp issue affecting linear trackers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by subtemple, Apr 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subtemple

subtemple Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Lately I've been encountering a particular issue more often: records that have enough of a warp that they scratch across the dust cover/linear tracking mechanism on my Technics SL-5 during play, causing bad wow and flutter. I'm certain that on a more traditional turntable, this would cause less of a problem, as the warps need not be severe to hit into the mechanism, which is quite close to the platter. This is also the reason I cannot utilize weights or clamps to address the warps.

As a secondary issue, some of the records I am now having difficulty playing are records that were formally flat but developed a warp after being stored upright in my ikea shelves - I suppose it's too much pressure near the ends?

Anyway, I'm really more curious if other owners of this table and others like it have encountered this problem. Given the amount of threads on storage and flattening, I'm not as focused on the storage warping, just a piece of the overall problem here.

2. CharlieBussell

CharlieBussell Forum Resident

Both of my previous SL10 and SL7 had this issue (very similar designs to your SL5). I found the main problem to be with the limited vertical clearance of the tonearm. I had an idea to create some clearance but did not have the heart to mess with a perfectly working turntable.

johnny q likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.