Was Gospel more influential on rock & roll music than the blues? Discuss?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beenieman, May 25, 2023.

1. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

No, t'was Country, like this from 1940.........

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    lazydawg58 and Floatupstream like this.
  2. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

"Is it ummmmmm..... (alternative lifestyle epithet) when you... ummm..... "

don't even have to finish the sentence

"YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

3. 7solqs4iago

classical, blues, gospel... like a boss

Bill Diercks and danasgoodstuff like this.
  4. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Bad and nation-wide.

5. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

It's a stew. All influences are important regardless of the actual measurements of the ingredients. It's what makes R&R so damn American.

6. 7solqs4iago

goosebumps and eyes-water in admiration after i watch that opening minute the 12th time...

:D

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  7. danasgoodstuff

The influence on rock ('n roll) that really gets ignored/denied is pop, for a bunch of reasons.

wore to a frazzel likes this.
  8. Chemically altered

How so? Didn't the term "pop music" originate in the 60s?

9. There is white and black gospel particularly during the 30s through 70s. Elvis, Everlys, Johnny Cash, Wanda Jackson, etc., have made clear the powerful influence gospel had on their musical upbringing. White gospel was very aware of trends in black gospel and vice versa: songs, rhythms, arrangements, etc., The close harmony jubilee style was the usual influence as it was more melodic.

However, it was black hard gospel that dictated the quality of singer coming through gospel that had a massive impact on rock and roll. Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, Clyde McPhatter, James Brown, etc., all came up through the black hard gospel circuit. Hard gospel quartets unleashed emotional vocal displays with screaming, crying, improvising, etc., Little Richard was a big fan of Brother May, Archie Brownlee, etc.,

The great Archie Brownlee, listen through to end to get a sense of his vocal power, screaming, pleading style:

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, gospel led directly to doo-wop which went hand-in-hand with 50s rock 'n' roll.

7solqs4iago likes this.
  11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

They were also influenced by R&B, which was a combination of gospel and blues. Ray Charles was largely condemned by the church for mixing the two.

12. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I think you finally mentioned the real thing here, which no one so far has mentioned. Rock and roll was an end
    result of numerous influences including blues, R and B, jump blues and gospel PLUS country and swing,
    especially western swing. And all of these, especially western swing, led directly to rockabilly, which is probably
    the purest form of early rock and roll. And Benny Goodman (with Gene Krupa) was rocking hard driving swing
    all the way back in the late thirties and early forties.
    I always like this clip from "The Benny Goodman Story" from the mid fifties where the audience is made up
    entirely of teenagers who go crazy when the band plays "Bugle Call Rag". And it features Krupa, the first
    rock and roll drummer.

lazydawg58 and danasgoodstuff like this.
  13. danasgoodstuff

No 'pop' was both a term and a thing long before that, before rock 'n roll or at least before rock 'n roll was recognized as a thing. And then continued to be concurrently. And most of the craft - songwriting, studio mastery, etc. - comes from there. But I don't so much see/hear this as a mixing of primary colors as more like different ways of doing things, that not only overlap and cross-pollinate but were always mixing up the same elements of melody/harmony/rhythm and different aspects of story telling and attitudinalizing and being a cultural tradition in the world. But, like so many terms, 'pop' has many uses and confusion abounds because folks mistake it's broader uses for it's narrower ones, and on and on. Hope this is somewhat clear, but it probably isn't.

14. danasgoodstuff

And reductionism, in all its forms, is an anathema to me. FWIW. But it's hard to avoid.

7solqs4iago likes this.
  15. danasgoodstuff

Another factor muddying the waters, here and elsewhere, is the tendency for successive styles to be seen in the moment as opposites when they may (from a broader historical perspective) actually have a lot more in common than was immediately apparent.

16. Chanty Stovall

Chanty Stovall Senior Member

Gospel is overlooked, imo. Besides 'Shine a light', I hear a lot of gospel leaning on Exile on Main St. Even if it has no element of church instrumentality, is not 3/4 time, etc. the function of repeating the chorus in pop songs is a very gospel thing to do,

17. jacchank

jacchank Forum Resident

who cares...on this forum....the beatles invented "both blues and gospel"!!!!!!!!!

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think rock'n'roll is a fusion of blues and country. Gospel is only really an influence inasmuch as the blues is a tributary of gospel.

19. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Gospel, blues, country, western swing ... put it all in a blender ... rock n' roll

lazydawg58 likes this.
  20. MIKEPR

MIKEPR Forum Resident

I would have never guessed this was 1944.

Think of how many later R&R people were born that year.

Jon-A likes this.
  21. Chemically altered

"Pop" is a sixties term. You're thinking of popular music, which which went back to big bands, swing and Bing Crosby.

22. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

The influence wasn't measured in gospel records sold, but by the Church experience. Coming from a Pentecostal background, I see the stamp all over early rock recordings. Elvis attended a Pentecostal Church not a quarter mile from the house he grew up in in Tupelo.

danasgoodstuff and 7solqs4iago like this.
  23. 7solqs4iago

as in the "longhaired" listener when that meant classical appreciation

then the "longhairs" liked something else by the late 60s

24. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Masterclass

25. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

What’s the difference? One is Saturday night and one is Sunday morning. Same person. Two sides. Yin Yang. Was Pops Staples a gospel or blues singer. How about Blind Willie Johnson? Gospel or blues? Did Mahalia sing the blues? She sure did

Zeki likes this.