Was Oasis the biggest band in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WildHoneyPie9, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Blur was a better band, just sayin'.

:hide:

2. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I'll say Pearl Jam, and Smashing Pumpkins were bigger than Oasis. So the answer would be NO.

3. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

But were they? A different kind of great, for me.

4. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Yes they where, they were often in the news, maybe not for the reasons but it gives you an idea of their popularity!

Mazzy likes this.
  5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

For me, yes, easily.

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The biggest bigheaded band in the world in the 90s.

Sean, Carlox, theMess and 6 others like this.
  7. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Yes, for around a year between '95 and '96 they were the biggest and most important band in the world. The level of expectation on Be Here Now was unreal as was their huge worldwide fanbase.

They were not the biggest band in the US at the time, but world wide they were.

For people answering no can they say who was the biggest band in the world in 95/96?

edit: and I say all this as a Blur fan, one of the few in my school during this whole silly period/

8. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Record and live ticket sales would seem to be a pretty good barometer.

Having said that, first 2 US Oasis tours seemed to be heavily comped.

In '98, here in NY\NJ if the radio station (K-Rock) picked up the phone, u got a pair of free tickets to the Oasis show.
    I'd say that particular January night, well over half the 14k that night had been let in free.

In a pre-show interview, Noel seemed more interested listening to the soundcheck of openers, Cornershop, than talking about anything Oasis.
    The show itself was odd. Oasis displayed zero personality or stage presence.
    The only time Noel spoke to the audience was after Champagne Supernova, when they actually extended themselves with a bit of an ending rave-up, and Noel snidely noted, "So you lot can clap."
    Thought that was beyond arrogant, for a band that appeared to do nothing to actually connect with the audience.

I will say the band were much better in 2007. Noel actually spoke fairly often that night in the Garden, and connected well with the audience.
    The new drummer, imo, also gave them a bit of much needed flash.

WildHoneyPie9 and e.s. like this.
  9. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I'm confused when people say they weren't huge in the US. Their songs were on the radio a whole bunchie during the mid 90's. They sold a lot of cd's. It's too bad they couldn't make a 3rd great album. First two are terrific.

10. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Wasn't my point. You said they never made it in the US. Sales during the period suggest otherwise. Also, having seen them at different points during the 2000s, they certainly weren't having trouble selling out arenas in the US well after their '90s heyday.

11. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

12. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

They peaked on their third album and Noel actually wrote songs on that weren't a rehash of covers!

13. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I'm not acquainted with these new beat groups but I must say I like Oasis' theme tune for "The Royale Family" which aired in the 90s. Half A World Away I think it's called.

"I'm with it!"
    [​IMG]

DementedAvenger and Bananas&blow like this.
  14. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Well I can certainly say they were not the biggest band in the world but they were part of the North West of England and its identity. They helped give us identity at a time when things were not great.

To be quite frank, I think many here are overly critical of them, Noel is and was a very talented musician. He writes songs that not everybody will get as he was writing for his area, his environment and it mattered up here very much. Just like Pearl Jam or Nirvana mattered to a generation of Americans.

In England at least, Oasis would still outsell events over many acts.

15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Not as big as Blur? Come on!

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? has sold close on 5m copies in the U.K. alone. I'd wager that's more than all Blur's albums combined!

Not to mention Definitely Maybe being 7x platinum and Be Here Now going 6x platinum here..

16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Blur were not bigger than Oasis, that's ridiculous. Mind you the idea that Oasis were ever the biggest band in the world is even more ridiculous.

Farmer Mike likes this.
  17. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

In the UK, maybe.
    The Spice Girls were bigger worldwide at that time.

theMess, BluesOvertookMe and Klassik like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Check out their record sales... I think you'll find they definitely were bigger than Blur!

e.s. likes this.
  19. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

As big as The Spice Girls?

I THINK NOT!

The Bishop and vudicus like this.
  20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I like Blur much, much more than Oasis, but yes, Oasis sold many more records and concert tickets.

Purple and Bobby Morrow like this.
  21. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I'd say Oasis took good advantage of the lull in music at that time, and did become a hugely hot/hyped band.
    In the US, GnR were done, the poster boy for grunge was dead, and most were waiting on follow-ups to big albums from Metallica and RATM.
    We were well aware of what everybody in the UK was jumping around to, but the fact is, when we saw it up close here, it didn't do much for us.
    But I say that as more of a live guy.
    Tis true though that we were anxious to hear what would follow Morning Glory....and subsequently, again haha, most were less than impressed.

In fact, one could consider Oasis to be the UK's version of Aerosmith.....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  22. Bobby Morrow

That's horribly true.

And the Spice Girls were never accused of ripping off the Beatles!

I-OD, Carlox, theMess and 6 others like this.
  23. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Here in the UK we would ask "Were Oasis...." not "Was Oasis..." otherwise people would ask "Who is Oasis.." To answer the OP's question, absolutely not, never... Maybe in the head of an Oasis fan otherwise no way..

WildHoneyPie9 likes this.
  24. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

You beat me to it by a minute :p

I don't remember queuing in the supermarket and noticing that almost all of the products around me had some Noel and Liam tie-in.
    I do remember pointing out to my girlfriend that everything reachable while you're in the queue was a Spice-affiliated item.
    The Spice Girls were the biggest band in the world at this time and frankly they deserved it.
    Today's kick-ass women have much to thank them for.

Jarleboy and vudicus like this.
  25. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

unlesss you were The Jam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.