Was Oasis the biggest band in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WildHoneyPie9, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Lots of kids at school and around my town had the first 2 Oasis albums.
    I was the only one who had the Anthology releases.

2. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Like others who were just as 'big dicks'? So we must all respond to Mick Jagger, John Lennon, Kurt Cobain and all the other a**holes the same?

GarySteel and e.s. like this.
  3. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Close. Blur have sold over 5 million albums (including their greatest hits) in the UK.

4. Ninecats

Ninecats Forum Resident

Hehe, typical Noel talk, he said something like if you tell everyone that you're in the greatest band in the world, 50 percent is going to believe you.

5. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Their first 2 albums are solid, the second one being my favourite britpop album by anyone.
    The next one is not as good but does have some incredible tracks like She Falls, Magic Hour and Beat Mama.
    Their 4th album, as John Powers said himself should've been a solo record. It's nothing like Cast at all and pretty much killed off the band.
    Thankfully they've reformed since.

tages and Klassik like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

That's nowhere near true. Morning Glory is listed as 14x platinum, the Spice Girls are at 10.

Jarleboy, e.s. and OobuJoobu like this.
  7. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

He described seeing Cast as being like a religious experience.

I saw them when they were touring after the 2nd album. They were great live.
    I don't know what they were smoking that night, but they were the only band I've ever seen where the songs were played slower than the album versions.
    They really could groove!

tages and OobuJoobu like this.
  8. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Nice story!

The best stuff is certainly on that debut album, but if I was to suggest a "Top 5 not on that album that are worth checking out" it would go like this-

Flying (single)
    Compared To You (from Magic Hour)
    Dreamer (from Magic Hour)
    Follow Me Down (Alright single B side)
    Free Me (from Mother Nature Calls)

tages and Klassik like this.
  9. Those others weren't arrogant and egotistical about their music in public the same way.

But of course they all had big egos.

10. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

Yes but you're not including The Spice Girls oven-ready chips and strawberry flavour lipsticks.
    When these are added to album sales, there's no doubt who's wearing the trousers. (Geri, obvs)

When it comes to Girl Power vs Manc Power, it's a case of 'STFU, our kid'

GarySteel likes this.
  11. Klassik

Oooh. Gratefully received list, la!

OobuJoobu likes this.
  12. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

That is like saying since Hootie could play to large crowds in South Carolina they still matter.

JoeRockhead, Aftermath and Klassik like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Noel is arrogant but witty, which takes the edge off it.:D

Liam does come off as something of a twat though.

14. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

They had a rivalry with Blur and, to be honest, Blur’s first album Leisure was better than anything Oasis released. Oh, and, no, Oasis were not the biggest band in the world. These guys were a bunch of ego maniacs and their own self-importance as if they’re the only band to play rock music always sickened me.

15. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I think we're seeing a different (better) Liam just lately. I don't know if it's the responsibility of now putting out music in his own name rather than hiding behind a band, or whether he's just getting a bit older and wiser, but the Liam of the past 4 months is a different beast to before.

16. idreamofpikas

Objectively this is clearly false. Leisure is probably Blur's worst album.

Why does being an ego manic disqualify them?

Something a lot of people are ignoring in this topic; 95/96 who was the biggest band in the world?

17. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I can't speak for the whole world, but in the UK in 95-96, Oasis captured the cultural zeitgeist like no-one musicians since that other bunch of hairy working class herberts from up the River Mersey.

And around the time of their Knebworth shows, it really felt like this was a phenomenon the likes of which we had never seen before.

Some of their sheer presence in the UK was down to tabloid press coverage. Our rags loved the antics of the 'brawling, boozing, Gallagher brothers', and they loved the attention. It all got out of hand at the height of their fame, when News of the World ambushed them in Dublin with their hated father (a man who used to beat Noel, his mm and his brother Paul regularly, and who they hadn't seen since their mum booted him out). Around the BHN era, Oasis couldn't move without a load of journalists and photographers getting all up in their faces. That sort of thing is very tough for anyone to handle.

So some of their popularity was down to hype, but there's no arguing with their sales numbers.

ropiyas, Jarleboy, andybeau and 7 others like this.
  18. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I don’t give a crap about objectivity when it comes to music. I’m just giving an opinion. What it sounds like to me is you want me to admit that Oasis were the ‘biggest band in the world’ and just nod my head along with yours. Sorry, not going to happen!

Jarleboy, JoeRockhead and andybeau like this.
  19. idreamofpikas

Clearly not just the UK. (What's the Story) Morning Glory? sales:

• BPI: 14× Platinum[7]
    • ARIA: 8× Platinum[36]
    • BVMI: Gold[37]
    • IFPI SWE: Platinum[26]
    • IFPI SWI: Gold[27]
    • MC: 8× Platinum[28]
    • RIAA: 4× Platinum[29]
    • RIAJ: Platinum[38]
    • RIANZ: Platinum[39]
    • SNEP: Platinum

Which bands had that kind of success in '95?

irong, e.s., WildHoneyPie9 and 2 others like this.
  20. Klassik

I saw Oasis in a small venue in Bristol (the Fleece and Firkin) around the time of Supersonic
    The gig wasn't especially well attended and I had only a slight idea of who they were at the time.
    Liam, in this intimate setting managed to annoy the bar staff which was a big mistake in that venue.
    They didn't get a good reception but I was taken by two songs which would later be a single, 'Live Forever' that I somehow missed (may have been out of the UK) and the other "Champagne Supernova' being the one Oasis song I'd have if you were insistent.
    At the time, I got the attitude towards them I still have based on
    1. Voice too monotonous in a continuous sneer and annoying stage presence (Liam)
    2. The Rutles were better (they also have played the Fleece and Firkin) at doing The Rutles.

They're one of those bands who are best heard not seen (Robbie Williams being prime candidate. I loved his records but as soon as I'd see a video, I'd give myself a slap.)

And then there's the mouths. Jesus, it's entertaining sometimes but annoying the next minute and you'd think both of them had actually been Beatles or something to hear their self-satisfied smug mugs.

But, as someone else says, this is all PART OF THE APPEAL :p

andybeau, WildHoneyPie9 and Efus like this.
  21. idreamofpikas

I didnt ask you to nod your head, I asked for who you think was the biggest at that time. No need to get upset about it.

22. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Well though I was taken aback a bit when I first was around it, I think it was a lot like Cobain was.
    They're young, doing their thing, unfiltered, then suddenly half the world is hanging on their every word.

Think about some of the things you've said, altered or sober, in your early 20s.
    Then imagine plastered in every magazine and newspaper around.
    But that's what goes with fame and success, and needless to say, none of them are ready for it.

andybeau and WildHoneyPie9 like this.
  23. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

The One Direction of their time.

24. Bobby Morrow

And One Direction were prettier!

25. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I really liked Cast, as well, although I prefer the second and third albums, to that big debut.

tages, Klassik and vudicus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.