Was the CD of American Graffiti NoNoised???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyK, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

Last night I purchased the CD of "The Soundtrack Of American Graffiti (expanded version w/ 41 songs)" As soon as "Rock Around the Clock" started playing I said, "HUH???" After listiniing to a few more songs I said, " What the Hell is going on??" I then compared my LP of American Graffiti to the CD and noticed some major differences.

I have some questions:

1. Was the CD NoNoised? The songs sound eerily clean, especially when compared to the same songs on other CD's.

2. Some of the songs sound like a different master was used than was used on the LP. In fact, some songs sound different than I ever remember hearing them.

Does anybody know what is going on?

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

AG Soundtrack

Johnny K,

Being the "oldies" fanatic that I am, if you purchased the remastered version, you should have the version whereby the "original masters" were "reported" to have been used. The versions contained in the remastered version are the original versions of all songs contained in the Soundtrack without the Wolfman Jack overdubs. I do not have any knowledge about whether No Noise was used. Perhaps, if you can be more specific, I can answer your concerns about the correct versions.

Bob

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The version of the American Graffiti soundtrack 2 CD set I have was remastered by Bill Inglot's team in 1993 and does have the Wolfman Jack overdubs (MCAD2-8001) and is a BMG copy I bought used.

4. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

That's the reason I passed on the remaster. Does a newer, undubbed version exist?

5. BradOlson

6. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

There are some significant differences between the 2-CD and the original 2-LP release. Here are some of them (I'm recalling these from memory as I go, having heard the LPs so many times; forgive me if I slip up anywhere).

The following are in stereo on the CD (the LP used mono versions):

"Fanny Mae" -- Buster Brown
    "See You In September" -- Tempos
    "Peppermint Twist" -- Joey Dee/Starlighters
    "I Only Have Eyes For You" -- Flamingos
    "Heart And Soul" -- Cleftones

For some reason, the opposite occured with Mark Dinning's "Teen Angel" -- the CD contains a mono mix instead of the LP's stereo version.

On the LP, Fats Domino's "Ain't That A Shame" used an alternate mix with over-pronounced (and annoying) backing vocals not heard on the CD, or in the movie itself.

The Fleetwoods' "(He's) The Great Imposter", Buddy Knox's "Party Doll", and the Silhouettes' "Get A Job" were all edited and/or faded out early on the original LP release. (There might be one or two others like these -- I'm not sure.)

I can't answer the NoNoise question specifically, but I do know that on the original LP, a couple of tracks sound like they were transferred from noisy 45s. I think it's the Five Satins' "To The Aisle" (with horrible EQ shifts as well) and Lee Dorsey's "Ya Ya".

Bottom line: They pretty much "rebuilt" this soundtrack for CD release (using better masters and the like), and the work shows. I just wish they had done the same with the CD release of the FM soundtrack -- that one's so sonically dead and lifeless that it had to be nothing more than a lift from a multi-generation LP compilation tape.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  7. Kym

Kym Former Resident

YES! I was very disappointed with the FM soundtrack reissue. It really sucks. I guess all the money and effort went into preserving the shiny logo on the front cover of the CD booklet. :mad:

8. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

I wouldn't doubt that for a minute, Kym!

9. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

The 1993 Graffiti disc sounds perfectly acceptable to my ears. But I'd love to hear Monsieur Hoffman sprinkle his magic sonic dust on it for a DCC gold edition... ;)

I imagine getting the licensing would be a tough mutha, though. Wasn't that why it took so long for MCA to issue it on CD in the first place?

10. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Oooh! That carhop!

I love the painted female carhop on the cover. I love that image and I love that soundtrack.

At the time Lucus spent a third of the total budget that he had to make the movie on buying the rights to those songs ($250,000). It was before using old songs in movies came into vogue so he actually got them all for pretty cheap. There are only two scenes in the movie that don't have music and they are layered in sound effects.

11. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I bought this many years ago as a Japanese import before it was avaialable here in the states. I can't remember who I bought it from or where- but I believe it was mail order.

Anyway- I thought it was horrible. My first listening experience to this piece was my old 8-Track, which had all of the Wolfman dubs. The CD version I had had almost NONE of the overdubs, and I wasn't happy about it. The guy actually let me return it!

I have the newer MCA release, I think- but I am at work so I can't get the numbers off it. It does have MORE of the overdubs, but aren't sure if it was all there.

12. BradOlson

The stereo Teen Angel was mastered by DCC on their "Best of Tragedy" CD by Steve Hoffman.
    I'm happy they did this for American Graffiti.

13. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Senior Member Thread Starter

Sonic,

Thanks for the info. Last night I compared the 2-CD set and the LP with an open mind. You are correct, "Ain't that a Shame" is better on the CD. Overall, the CD is much cleaner than the LP, but it is not over processed. I guess that when I first heard the CD I was shocked by the absence of background noise, especially on “Rock Around the Clock”. My opinion has changed, the CD is better than the LP. I just wish that the Wolfman was edited out.

John

14. BradOlson

The definitive remaster of Rock Around The Clock is still Steve's remastering on the From The Original Master Tapes CD. Get the Best of Tragedy CD for the stereo "Teen Angel" Hoffmanized.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  15. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

As for no-noise, if memory serves me Bill Inglot did the remastering and he isn't a fan of noise reduction - this is one case where I'll stick up for Mr. Bill (monoitis hadn't taken over yet!!!)... ;) Don't have that set anymore, but it seems like it was just clean transfer work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.