Watched the new Robin Hood last night...Terrible on so many levels.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by cleandan, Nov 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

You mean the gesture with three fingers?

GodShifter likes this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Er ... I guess you could construe it that way :D

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

And never fear, there's more Robin Hood (sort of) coming.

Sony is developing a Robin Hood movie of its own, this time focused on the love interest, Marian, played by Margot Robbie. But details have been scarce, and now would be a good time to maybe sweep that idea under the rug.
    And from the article linked to there:

In this new take, Marian picks up the cause to lead her people into a pivotal war after the love of her life, Robin Hood, dies. She comes to power, charging into a battle that will not only decide the fate of the kingdom, but also see her don the mantle of the man she loved.

Sounds like an extension of the Cate Blanchett/Marion from the Ridley Scott "Robin Hood".

GodShifter likes this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Holy crap that sounds terrible.

7. Chris DeVoe

On the other hand "Robin" is an
    ambisexual name.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

AIM - Fire - Missed by a mile, worldwide gross to date is only $23 million - total budget is probably in the $100 million range. This will be gone well before Christmas.

9. cleandan

cleandan Senior Member Thread Starter

Maybe so. Quentin does have his own peculiar ways.
    However, when the odd physics are used on everyone and everything in the film it is okay.
    When the odd physics apply to only one character, especially a character that has no special powers, abilities, or other superhuman attributes, the odd physics become a turn off to me.

Django was just a man. A fit, athletic, good shot of a man...but just a man. Just because HE pulls the trigger does not make the gun suddenly 5000% stronger than when the other guy pulled the trigger....Or does it?

10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

My standard reply is “ they don’t make good movies anymore”.

11. Chris DeVoe

My wife, who sees hundreds of films in the theater every year, would like to very strenuously disagree. I see maybe a quarter of the films she does, and I disagree as well.

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Django was a terrible movie. It’s a bad case for any comparison.

13. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yea I figured you would:)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. So much better than the actual movie, and in much less time!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

My point is that the people who think "they don't make good movies anymore" really don't see enough movies to judge whether they do or not. The more heavily advertised a film is, the more likely it is to be terrible - the studio is often trying to save their investment. The most interesting films are the ones that they are not going to be able sum up well in an ad, and they often get little to no advertising.

Manimal likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I demand "Robin Hood in Space," with a lot of violence and explosions. And half-naked actors. And a wise-cracking robot. And lots of special effects. And an ending that makes absolutely no sense. I'm thinking $200 million should cover it.

17. Chris DeVoe

With your luck, it would be a huge hit, and you'd have to pay back the dozens of investors, all of whom own 50%.

"Where did we go right?"

Jimbo62 and Vidiot like this.
  18. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

My standard “they don’t make good movies anymore” reply is usually tongue and cheek. And yes I don’t watch that many movies so you’re right,
    I normally only see what are supposed to be blockbusters or the big movies of the summer type stuff and they (for me) are usually not good. Poor writing and big on effects. It’s been a long time since I watched a movie that blew ‘me’ away. Of course I know I’m probably missing the good ones.
    Thin story is my biggest complaint these days.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

The ballad of Buster Scruggs was fun:) I wanted to see more Buster though

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Yes, a live action take on Rocket Robin Hood is long overdue.

21. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I've always been partial to the 1983 ITV series Robin of Sherwood. To me, that's the definitive Robin Hood. Apart from a little too much mysticism (for me), it was fairly realistic and the stories were usually enjoyable. Always liked the Clannad music too...

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Made $425 million dollars, nominated for five Academy Awards (won two, including Best Screenplay), got an 87 on Rotten Tomatoes and an 81 on Metacritic, and Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars out of 4. Two dozen national critics put Django Unchained on their "10 best films of the year" lists. The film has a long, long list of critically-acclaimed achievements:

List of accolades received by Django Unchained - Wikipedia

I think it's a matter of opinion if it's "terrible." It's fair to say that the new Robin Hood is doing a lot worse critically and financially.

23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

mmars982 likes this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I didn’t like it.

So, for the accolades it received, it fell falt with me. I guess I need to reassess?

25. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Vidiot, you can contradict or correct me as needed but I know this quote from a film business friend of mine. In terms of writing/directing these elements need to be checked off: women taking off their clothes, rebellion against authority and blowing stuff up. Everything else is story blah blah blah. Oh yeah, and the rule of three recurrences of the same character/topic/joke. That's what's in a good film! Thanks to her, I now spend my time waiting for this in a movie. Heck, I look for it in the trailers. :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.