Watchmen Series on HBO

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Madness, Oct 21, 2019.

1. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

You posted links to 30 minutes of garbage Youtube content, why not just watch an episode and decide if you like it??

(Or maybe Youtube loudmoufs decide what you like before you watch it??)

Pressing ignore in 3...2...

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If you want to hear people talking about this who are actually knowledgeable about about this, I recommend episode 496 of The Incomparable:

Get Into the Elephant Stuff - The Incomparable

3. underthecovers

underthecovers Well-Known Member

curious how the show ended and from what I see it looks horrible, glad I only saw 30 minutes of "garbage Youtube content" then watch the total 9 hours of this series. Looked intriguing in the previews but knew that it was likely not going to live up to the hype.

4. underthecovers

5. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

You’re missing out. It was really well done and interesting w great acting. YouTube is stupid.

Vidiot, Chip Z and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I KNEW there would be 'haters' of this....
    oh, well....

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all argument and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. This principle is contempt prior to examination.

Herbert Spencer

8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

underthecovers likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

I wish the people who have rejected it sight unseen would at least listen to the podcast about the show with Damon Lindelof and get at least a hint of how much respect he had for the original comics.

Stormrider77, rontoon and Chrome_Head like this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

Very true.
    Not quite as true. The stupid parts of YouTube are stupid. Any chucklehead with a Gmail address and a phone can create a YouTube channel and spew anything they choose. Like anything else, YouTube is equally divided between smart and stupid, worthwhile and moronic.

Markyp likes this.
  11. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

If someone who truly understands the Moore/Gibbons original work won't give this a chance, it's really their loss.

12. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Conversely they can stop talking about things they don't know about :)

The two Youtube videos linked to were incredibly stupid and lazy. Youtube has good content - but most of it is, in fact, stupid.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Einstein thought that stupidity may be more common in the universe than hydrogen (Extra points for knowing the Doctor Manhattan connection.)

marmalade166 and bmoregnr like this.
  14. underthecovers

Has Moore/Gibbons given the HBO series any praise? I don't recall Moore saying any praise for any adaptation of The Watchmen including the film.

15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

nope

16. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Moore’s not going to give anyone anything but guff for doing anything with his work and he’s been pretty clear about that all along. This is nothing new. Gibbons was a consultant and provided some artwork that was cleverly used.

Watch the show, it at least deserves one’s reaction to it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  17. Chris DeVoe

The podcast I linked to had a number of experts on Moore's work and comics/graphic novels in general, and every one of them agreed that this is a worthy successor. The original was about the principal dread at the time - nuclear Armageddon, and this one dealt with one of the most important issues of our time - race relations.

This show took absolutely nothing away from the original, complimenting and expanding it. Everything I've read indicates that absolutely no one could do anything with Watchmen that would please Moore.

marmalade166 and bmoregnr like this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

59 year old white guy in Kansas City, and I went through school without ever learning anything about the Tulsa Massacre - something that happened to people recently enough that I could easily have met a survivor.

You can read about it at this Wikipedia article:

Tulsa race riot - Wikipedia

Let me preemptively say to anybody who would doubt the accuracy of Wikipedia, I've worked on hundreds of Wikipedia articles, including bringing up several to good and even featured status. It's an enormous amount of work, and if you want to add something to a highly debated article like this, you have to have references.

19. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I too only learned about in the last ten years, and I would hazard a guess that a large majority of people in this country still haven’t.

Chris DeVoe and Chrome_Head like this.
  20. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I enjoyed the show. I also enjoyed the movie. And the Alan Moore book.

21. Chris DeVoe

I'd say this may be the best expansion of an original work I've ever seen.

Chip Z, rontoon and Chrome_Head like this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, I really want to make a political statement here...

Yes, Alan Moore is a very angry, bitter, eccentric man, and you wonder what the hell happened with him. A recent photo...

[​IMG]

I was floored by how good the Watchmen HBO show was, and in fact I think it's a hundred times better than the feature film... and that had a far bigger budget and a bigger cast. I think the HBO show came a lot closer to capturing the spirit of the 1980s comic book.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  23. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I agree 100%, but I do enjoy the movie, for what it is (far from perfect).

rontoon likes this.
  24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Moore's blowing the opportunity of a lifetime. I think Alan Moore's easily as good a writer as George RR Martin on his best day. He should be making GOT money!;) If he would simply get out of his own way and get to work it might not be too late!

25. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I thought it was a wonderful treat for anyone who has read the comics. Breathtakingingly good. I can't imagine what people who haven't read the comics would make of it though.