Watchmen Series on HBO

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Madness, Oct 21, 2019.

1. APH

APH Forum Resident

I think the TV show wants to give the appearance that it understands the comic more than the movie did.
    But I prefer the movie to the first episode of the show. By blindly translating, the movie caught some of the comic.
    The Tv show has none of the comic. If it had a different title, maybe I'd give it more time. The brand probably works for it in most instances, but against it in my case.

Maybe I will try episode two - I gave up with Stranger Things, as I found it utterly boring, and to be fair, this wasn't quite as boring as that. I did start looking at my phone halfway through though.

GentleSenator likes this.
  2. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Big fan of the comic book ( and Alan Moore in general, both as a writer and a human being), enjoyed the film and loved this first episode

And as for the folk moaning about perceived political/social issues being 'pushed', they really don't get Alan Moore and his work! :rolleyes:

EVOLVIST, tmtomh, jupiter8 and 3 others like this.
  3. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

One of my favorite Superman tales. I bought this annual without knowing what it was beyond just an old Superman comic way back in 1992 out of a dollar box at a flea market. Easily in my top 10.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Great, influential issue (and was adapted for an episode of the animated Justice League).

Moore’s other Superman story “Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?” is also pretty good.

‘The Complete DC Works of Alan Moore’ collection is well worth picking up.

5. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I really enjoyed the first episode and look forward to what they do with this. I am already on board with what I sense is being connected to the source material but not wholly bound by it, the freedom of this is a different story, 34 years later; how would it all have played out with I'm guessing a good many doses of flashback. That is my sense anyway. I also liked the way Oklahoma! was interwoven into things and hope we get more of that more than meets the eye craft.

6. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

The musical score, Don Johnson and Tim Blake Nelson were the best things about the initial
    episode. I don't think I'll be back.

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

A little levity, as Marc Bernardin, Jacqueline Coley & Malcolm Barrett play the ""Watchman" so black..." game!:

marmalade166 likes this.
  8. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes...

Imo, as a fan of the original graphic novel from initial release, I'm less concerned with the series following the proverbial letter of the law than the spirit of it. There's a whole lot here that I feel I can hang my hat on so will definitely be tuning in fwiw.

But would say that the obvious (or less so) nods to the original work may definitely prove an annoyance unless the eventual explanation of how it all ties together is satisfactory - which could be a *very big* ask.

Chrome_Head and coffeetime like this.
  9. vince

I saw this last one was co-written by Lindelof & Cuse.
    I was a little "LOST"-y.

listner_matt likes this.
  10. APH

APH Forum Resident

Just watched episode two - what a weird mess this series is.
    The further it gets from Watchmen, the more I like it, so I enjoyed the first half, with the relationship between the cops, and the stuff about the Tulsa race riot. The second half, where it tilts back towards Moore, I hated.

I really wish this could have been an original series, without any reference to Watchmen at all, but I suppose the money would not have been forthcoming for that.

The Watchmen related parts remind me of a kid playing a Dave Gilmour solo. Yes, he can do it, and, look, his rich dad has even bought him one of Gilmour's actual guitars to use, but something is just off. It's a copy - a sometimes convincing copy, but still a copy.

Ultimately, it becomes about trust. I trust Alan Moore to create worthwhile popular art, that pays back the investment in time that it asks.
    I also trust Neil Gaiman.
    I trust Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy, that Westworld will continue to be worth watching.
    Based on his track record, and the episodes so far, I do NOT trust Damon Lindelof to do anything but hack work, and whenever the show starts to pique my interest, by seeimg to be intelligent, it then moves onto a really stupid scene, like the stage play scene, or the stupid TV show, and I hate it all over again.

11. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Ok, I don’t read comix or graphic novels (yet anyway), I’ve not seen the original movie, and I don’t have a clue as to what the hell is going on in this. But I really like it and plan to keep watching.

12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm definitely going to stick with this series. Knocked out by the first two episodes.

13. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I liked this episode a lot more than the first one. The way that the scene played out finding the Klan outfit was very similar to how Rorschach found the Comedian's costume after the murder. Also, the flashback scenes with Don Johnson also played out similar to flashbacks in the comic which usually juxtaposed some other type of story element. I think I'm getting a better feel of this show and what they are trying to do, it's certainly well done, but where the story is going is a mystery to me.

Chrome_Head and ConnieGuitar like this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

one more, and that might be it for me.

i guess i'm too old to 'get it", but i find it haphazard and confusing, and other than regina king terribly acted.

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Loved the comic book. Thought the film was just "meh." I didn't hate it, but I also didn't think it actually added anything of value. Very impressed with the pilot episode. So far I'm confident they're on the right track. They've got my attention. Even without Alan Moore's name in the credits.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  16. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear." Thread Starter

Just watched the first episode. Interesting, but confusing because I've only seen the movie and haven't read any of the comics/graphic novels. Wondering if that would be beneficial. DVR'd the first two episodes thanks to a free HBO weekend, but won't see the rest until I pay for HBO when WestWorld comes back.

17. Chrome_Head

Just finished the 2nd episode, and I really like what I'm seeing with this show so far. Definitely a springboard off of the original Moore / Gibbons work to explore some very interesting themes that are simultaneously modern and timeless. I think a lot of what they're doing here is bold. The music by Reznor and Ross is tremendous and I love Regina King's character.

Indeed, how the show is mirroring the structure of the comic plot in ways is no doubt intentional, which itself also began with the death of a character to kick off a mystery. People who aren't familiar with the original work may be lost here but could also perhaps enjoy it on a surface level as a show without getting all the references.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I loved the movie but this show not very much so far.

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I don't normally point this out, but best username/subject match ever, Chrome_Head:

[​IMG]

ConnieGuitar and Chrome_Head like this.
  20. Chrome_Head

Bwahaha! Nice one—really liking that character too!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Love it, soundtrack is great, too. I like this alternative timeline scenario and I know Jack squat about the comics.

Chrome_Head and vince like this.
  22. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Enjoyed the first couple of episodes, unencumbered by knowledge of any other incarnations of the material.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  23. vince

So, that long-haired kid was also building the same mansion as Dr. Manhattan was, right?

Chrome_Head likes this.
  24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

While you are waiting then I suggest you read the graphic novel. It's only the size of 12 comics so not too much of a struggle and is an experience I think everybody should have, it really is that good. It was the only graphic novel included in Time's 2005 list of the 100 all-time greatest novels list, which is some achievement.

Why do you need to read it?

Apart from being a great novel you need to get the full experience by knowing the background. And while superficially the series seems it's own story I can see them bring it closer into the 'lore' of the comic as it goes on. Plus we have the main protagonist of the comic as a major star of the series (Jeremy Irons) and regular mentions of Dr Manhattan on Mars and his powers etc.

Plus the comic creates an alternative reality earth from the emergence of Dr Manhattan from the early 70's on, if you like it branches off from our reality due to the events in the comic. So the only way to appreciate why certain things are happening in the TV series is to know how history is different to our real world history in the comics. For example in the comic Nixon doesn't leave office the way he did.

Basically you are watching a world created/altered by the Watchmen so you need to see what they did in fact alter and create and in what way.

The comic is 100% essential to appreciating this series.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  25. Chrome_Head