Watchmen Series on HBO

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Madness, Oct 21, 2019.

1. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Talk about blue balls... :winkgrin:

EVOLVIST likes this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

marmalade166 likes this.
  3. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

Good episode, I'm really liking this show. Nice reveal of Veidt and bringing the Silk Spector on board, I didn't think that they were going to have any of the original characters on this show, so there's been some nice surprises. The Senator's name was Keene, so they are adding a lot of elements of the comic into the story and I think they're doing a great job.

I'm assuming Veidt is some type of prisoner, he must be plotting some escape, I don't know why he keeps burning these clones. Also, Senator Keene also indicated that he could pardon the Nite Owl if he was President. So, there is a lot of story going on. I don't know what is dropping and picking things up from the sky still. I think I caught a glimpse of the Comedian on a taxi advertisement and it looked like it was the guy who played him in the movie, so that was funny and the giant blue toy was good for some laughs as well.

EVOLVIST and ConnieGuitar like this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don't want to, but sadly, i'm giving up.

just don't get it, and even worse, probably don't care if i get it.

i am too old i guess.

i took it off the DVR this morning.

coffeetime likes this.
  5. Yeah, Ep. 3 was pretty fantastic. All except for Laurie, who is a little extra. You know, always the perfect lines, right on cue, her character is a little too smart. That's forgiven, though. If they meant for her to turn into a mix of her mother and father, she's doing a good job. And so she ends up taking her father's last name, giving up Juspeczyk.

The only other thing, if you don't know the comic, or the film (sans ending), you'll be lost, I think.

This episode also proves that I was wrong about the Keene Act of 1977 being repealed. These cops in the present merely walk a fine line between the police as we know them and vigilantes. How else do we get "The Red Scare," a cop-based supe, who isn't flagged by the FBI?

The show is very smart. It almost feels as if Moore had a hand in it. I know he didn't because Laurie's joke had to punchline. :) Either that, of a car falling from the sky was too hysterical for me to laugh. :p

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

vince likes this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm really enjoying this show, as I knew I would. The only good thing about Legion ending is that Jean Smart is free to be in this show. . . .

ConnieGuitar, jpelg and vince like this.
  8. vince

AS Kevin Smith would say;
    She walks both worlds!

9. vince

I almost thought the car was the same as the one that lifted the wheelchair guy away....
    but, I think that was an SUV....right?

10. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Absolutely *loved* this latest episode. As already said, thought the way the original characters/mythos are being incorporated into this "new world" to be quite interesting, and surprisingly very satisfying to me - still early doors but am certainly feeling very encouraged.

Would agree though that anyone unfamiliar with the source material has got to be very :confused: - will those folks really be able to stick it out through the entire series? There's always going to be bedding-in time with any new series but it'd be the equivalent of having crammed the Dharma Initiative, the smoke monster/man in black *and* Jacob into the very first three episodes of Lost. Huge leaps of faith required for anyone coming into this blind!

Anyway, very happy and already can't wait for Sunday night: nice to feel that way again after the very meh wrap-up of Game Of Thrones.

Anyone already have their hands on Vol. 1 of the Reznor/Ross soundtrack LP? Mine should be arriving tomorrow...

Stormrider77 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I am going to have to watch it again to check, but I thought the Game Warden shooting at him was a clone. So whatever prison he is in seems to be of his own device.

At this point I am taking the falling car to be the same one that took up the wheelchair guy, and that Dr. Manhattan is behind this given where and when it was dropped to go along with the joke or respond to the comment that he doesn’t care about humanity.

After three episodes I can certainly now say you likely have to know the source material at least reasonably well to have this make any sense. Not getting those layers would seem to me to detract quite a lot from what they appear to be doing with the show.

Stormrider77, ConnieGuitar and vince like this.
  12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Collider pointed out this HBO companion site, with multiple links per entry including memos from the FBI sidekick all meant to round out some stuff I suppose: Peteypedia

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I read it faithfully when it was out, put it away, and now memory is fuzzy enough for the show to be absolutely fresh, although I still have vague memory of what it's all supposed to be about.

So I'm not prepared to compare it to the book or the movie, or to whatever DC has set up in the last couple of years in continuity-stretching "hamburger helper" series. Just here to enjoy the ride.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Same here, although I didn't read it until after the film came out. The DVD package of the Watchmen film included a small facsimile edition. I don't have any particular need to go back and review it.

15. Dillydipper

It is worth your time if you enjoy graphic narrative. I often wonder about people like you, and your wife, who absorb so many films on a regular basis, how much you can retain from year-to-year. I've got reams of memories in my basement in boxes, a significant portion of them consumed on the toilet or in a bathtub. I have series of television in my brain, force-fed through VCR and DVR viewing in rapid succession. I have hours and hours in theaters, none of which can come back to me as vivid as those first couple of times I saw Help, Thunderball or 2001 in my youth.

Sometimes, as grateful as I am for the media I've absorbed (or at least "consumed"), I get the impression I'm getting it in the same manner as "running across a pond on lily pads".

EVOLVIST likes this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Other than Undergrounds I'm not really a comic fan. I've read everything available by Robert Crumb, and have complete collections of both Spiegelman's Arcade and Crumb's Weirdo anthologies.

I can't say I am a big Alan Moore fan. I read both Watchmen and V for Vendetta and I thought both had big whomping moments of stupidity - giant space squid and doll collecting respectively.

17. Dillydipper

I can say that, probably from the day I saw him writing a visceral, snarling Krypto seeing his friend's demise at the hand of that creepy Luthor/Braniac 5 hybrid, whose terror and menace I never really intuited until that point in my life...
    funnybooks and funnybooks later down the road. :eek:

18. Chris DeVoe

On the other hand, since it's November 5th, I plan to watch V For Vendetta.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  19. Dillydipper

Scoot over - I'll get my mask...!

20. He’s trying various escape methods with primitive equipment the burning and freezing are unexpected effects.

21. vince

I forgot!

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  22. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I saw a reddit theory that Dr. Manhattan is the jailor and it’s somewhere in space hence the freezing after a failed attempt.

Stormrider77 and ConnieGuitar like this.
  23. vince

So, I listened to this... Damon seems to genuinely want to do something....
    Good luck to him...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It cleared up a number of things I had missed, and it's obvious that he and the other writers are deliberately putting in a lot of stuff from the original as well.

25. vince

Perhaps the lack of 'internet' in this 'alternative America' has something to do with the TONS of $h!t he gets from it!:agree: