Water & dirt damage on flat screen TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by C6H12O6, Jan 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member Thread Starter

My parents had a construction mishap next door that caused some flooding in their basement - long story but basically water (not sewage but dirty from the actual dirt in the ground surrounding the house) wound up spewing through the ceiling of their basement, all over their 55" flat screen TV among other things.

Everything got cleaned, but if you look at the bottom left portion of the flat screen, you can see dried dirt in the crevice where the glass meets the plastic border, and it's too tight to clean out. I don't see any immediate damage, but is that dirt going to cause problems down the road? Is there possibly other damage from the water that may not be noticeable until later? Thanks for any help.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If they have insurance, I would check to see if it's covered and get a replacement.

C6H12O6 and Carl Swanson like this.
  3. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

If the water ran all over the TV, it probably got inside.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member Thread Starter

They have insurance, but they said they wouldn't cover it because the water wasn't actually from the home's plumbing. I'm not clear what the process involved, but they were doing some kind of excavation that utilized water, and the excessive amount of water caused it to flow into their basement. Contractors said they'd cover everything, but it's sketchy, they said they'd do it out of pocket. If the TV seems to be working, I'm afraid they'll say it doesn't need to be covered only to have the set fail like a year from now because of corrosion or something going on inside that we can't see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.