Waters and Gilmour Giving Props

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Jul 24, 2018.

1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unfortunately, the media focuses on negatives, and fans are passionate people. So here's a thread concentrating on things one might not ever hear, but is also part of the truth.

"Young Lust" is a pastiche number. It reminds me very much of a song we recorded years and years ago called "The Nile Song," it's very similar, Dave sings it in a very similar way. I think he sings "Young Lust" terrific, I love the vocals. - Roger

Interview - David Gilmour: And This Is Me...
    Mojo, April 2006

Q: OK, look at a really personal song, even though it's Roger's lyrics again, 'Shine On you Crazy Diamond' from Wish You Were Here (1975).
    A: I've always loved this song. I love the words

We put some great jokes in things, little backwards messages to pander to these anoraks who hunt for things and claim malgin influences. We had vast amounts of fun doing that, but noone seemed to spot it."
    David Gilmour - Guardian Newspaper, UK - October 25th, 2002

"We were all very, very happy to have a driving force like Roger who wanted to push for these concepts" David Gilmour - Guitar World, 2003

Roger Waters: Dave is a great singer. He has a very acute and sensitive ear for harmony. A lot of those double tracks and the harmonies where he sings through Dark Side... or on lots of the records - I sat back while he did that and he'd follow his instincts and produce these great harmonies. I was always somewhat in awe of that. It takes great talent to be able to do that, and it's something I really appreciate.

2. MortSahlFan

Waters: "Dave sang Breathe much better than I could have. His voice suited the song. I don't remember any ego problems about who sang what at that point. There was a balance. You'd just say, How does that sound in your range?"

M321115, GrayMouser, LC4O and 25 others like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

hopefully you can get some of the folks dead keen on stirring to chill and realise these guys are just people. they made great music together, both appreciate each others abilities and songs, they just grew apart due to the way life is.
    i get so sick of the dave vs roger stuff
    thank you, post very much appreciated!

4. MortSahlFan

Thank you.. I've seen this happen on many boards, including a Pink Floyd board, and even worse, on NeptunePF, you see nothing but incorrect information, and downright lies, too much cliche comparing, so I try to get video/text/audio sources or if it's a reference, I'll mention it, so people take it with a grain of salt... Seems like if you say great things about Roger, someone has to come and put him down, etc. I love Roger and David; Pink Floyd is my favorite band - I think they were the most complementary, much more than Lennon/McCartney.

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I enjoyed the video of the impromptu meeting between David Gilmour and Roger Waters from the extras on the Remember That Night Blu-ray. It was a brief meeting with Polly Samson as well and seemed to be a friendly conversation of old band mates. Tried to find a clip of the conversation but couldn't find it. Might not be searching correctly or it could be off the Gdansk set. Not sure.

I find recent interviews with David Gilmour and Roger Waters to be quite positive in how they both refer to each other in a nice way with very little negativity. I think both are looking at life and that they're not getting any younger. So why not leave the past behind and move forward in a positive way :).

6. MortSahlFan

I loved that moment.. I think a lot of the bad feelings was the constant barrage of questions from 1987, each reporter quoting a line from the past, or framing the question for the desired result.

7. mark winstanley

in my favourite bands too .. all three versions ... and both have made some great solo stuff too

Terrapin Station likes this.
  8. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

"I'd always credit Syd with the connection he made to his personal unconscious and to the collective, group conscious... It's taken me 15 years to get anywhere near there. Even though he was clearly out of control when making his two solo albums, some of the work is staggeringly evocative. It's the humanity of it all that's so impressive. It's about deeply felt values and beliefs. Maybe that's what Dark Side Of The Moon was aspiring to. A similar feeling."

("Over The Wall: An interview with Roger Waters" by Chris Salewicz, Q, August 1987)

9. MortSahlFan

Dave: “Roger has many, many good points and many talents, but he’s a very alpha male sort of person."

Dave: “I might still have been shy then, but Roger had certainly taken to leaping around, thrashing his bass and gurning a bit. Then there was the dramatic striking of the gong and the screaming in Careful With That Axe. Roger had discovered letting his pain out. I know that John Lennon did that whole Arthur ‘Primal Scream’ Janov album, which Roger was very keen on, but he was screaming long before Lennon ever got to Janov.”

- Mojo, 2007

10. mark winstanley

somehow i see it as a sad reflection on the forum (and human nature) that more people aren't interested in this. If I get some free time I will post some stuff also

11. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

This thread has just made my day!

Thanks MortSahlFan!

MortSahlFan, EVOLVIST, willy and 3 others like this.
  12. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Oddly enough, this impromtu meeting always struck me as a little awkward. Roger seems quite comfortable, letting bygones be bygones, but Gilmour looks rather tense, as though he hasn't quite forgotten everything that went on. Maybe it's just a camera being there.

The bottom line is that when they worked together, they complemented each other beautifully. Waters has talents that Gilmour admires/ envies and vice-versa. What's nice now is that both men realise it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    M321115, St. Troy, Vinny123 and 7 others like this.
  13. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Roger Waters: Dave is a great singer. He has a very acute and sensitive ear for harmony. A lot of those double tracks and the harmonies where he sings through Dark Side... or on lots of the records - I sat back while he did that and he'd follow his instincts and produce these great harmonies. I was always somewhat in awe of that. It takes great talent to be able to do that, and it's something I really appreciate.[/QUOTE]
    "I love his vocals so much, I think I'll let him sing 2/3 of one song on the Final Cut."

St. Troy and bobloblaw like this.
  14. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

From Mark Blake's book, regarding Jon Carin joining Waters' touring band:

Eric Clapton’s former guitarist Doyle Bramhall II now joined mainstays Andy Fairweather-Low and Snowy White, while keyboard player Andy Wallace was now sharing the stage with Pink Floyd’s Jon Carin. Producer James Guthrie had worked with both Floyd and Waters, and had brokered the exchange between the two camps. Gilmour gave his blessing (‘You must do it,’ he told Carin. ‘He’s a brilliant man’).

andrewskyDE, St. Troy, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  15. mark winstanley

"I love his vocals so much, I think I'll let him sing 2/3 of one song on the Final Cut."[/QUOTE]

Gimour actually blames himself for his minimal involvement in the final cut and has said so quite frequently

16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Great idea for a thread. I’ll see what I can find.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  17. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Great thread!

Greg Gee, MortSahlFan and Keith V like this.
  18. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I find it interesting and a great idea however part of the issue is that people are going to have to continue to research information to post that we can discuss which takes time. A lot of us peek into the forum throughout the day and make quick comments. Not saying that people here don't focus on the negative but I think what I stated is at least part of the problem.

MortSahlFan and mark winstanley like this.
  19. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

These are among my favourite Pink Floyd props... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Yeah that was my initial take away as well. Sort of like you know your brother that you don't get along with is staying in a hotel right next door and you both know it so you sort of have to say hi at some point.
    However I wish there was more footage-the editing certainly could make it look more cold and awkward. Also as you said having a camera there certainly can make things much more awkward for a situation that is probably kind of awkward already (see my example above but add camera's to it)

21. mark winstanley

it probably was awkward. so much water under the bridge. (pardon the unintentional pun)
    so much media baiting when the name usage became an issue.
    both guys have healthy egos, and why wouldn't they, they formed part of one of the biggest bands of the seventies.

Oliver likes this.
  22. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

A positive thread, I like it. I always loved the irony of both of them scheduling rehearsal spaces at the same time in the same area. I wish they could write together again. Hearing Gilmour deliver Roger's words again would be amazing.

MortSahlFan, Greg Gee, Murph and 6 others like this.
  23. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

It sounds like they had a golden opportunity for a long-term reconciliation and perhaps more work together around the time of Live 8.

But if the reports from the Gilmour camp are accurate, Roger dampened any potential enthusiasm for it by arriving late to rehearsals, lording it over the crew and barking orders at everyone like he was in charge, and making ludicrous suggestions like loading up the Live 8 set with songs from The Final Cut (an album I personally love, but come on, Roger, seriously?).

That video clip of them meeting during their respective rehearsals is telling in many ways. Notice that Gilmour can't face him without his wife by his side. It's all speculation, of course, but reasonable to assume that she "pushed" him into it and needed to be there in order for him to go through with it. People like Roger - "alpha males" if you will - are often oblivious to how overbearing they can be, and consequently, oblivious to any potential awkwardness involved in meeting with a former colleague/adversary. That's what I read from his body language.

In any event, it's also interesting that someone chose to document their meeting - and include it in an official release.

I, too, wish they would work together again some day. I find Waters' solo material sorely lacking in the melodic sensibility that Gilmour brings to every project, and Gilmour's overly sentimental (mainly due to Polly's lyrics) and lacking in the "bite" and intensity that Waters brings to the mix, and always brought out of Gilmour. Just my opinion, of course.

Love,
    Billy

24. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

One more note - I'm sure they both respect each other a great deal. I seem to remember Waters making some snide comments about Gilmour using his wife's lyrics and the army of session musicians used on Division Bell and AMLOR, but never remember him diminishing David's playing, songwriting or singing. Same with Gilmour and his thoughts re: Waters. It's tough being in a band with someone. I speak from experience (albeit limited and on a purely amateur level for fun). It's also burdensome if you feel like the weight of carrying all of "it" is on your shoulders and the others aren't pitching in. It can make yo cranky and irritable, and perhaps not as patient as you should be with everyone's agenda and limitations. Ultimately, someone has to take charge and get things done - otherwise nothing does. Many times toes get trampled on in the process. When all the poking and prodding leads to positive results, that trampling can be tolerable. When things get tense, it becomes unbearable.

They're both still young enough to do something together again. Here's hoping it happens soon before we're all too old (and deaf) to enjoy it.

Love,
    Billy

andrewskyDE and mark winstanley like this.
  25. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Living in the past. Everyone's happy now. Roger is having a great time (with a great band) on his big World Tour, backing a very strong solo album. Rog will be 75 by end of this tour.

You have to love the fact that Roger has a ʇıɥs box to deposit all of your negative personal sh_t in before going onstage every night.

[​IMG]