Waterworld: The Ulysses Cut will be released officially!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by will_b_free, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I watched 1/3rd of the movie last night and really enjoyed it. A cheesy entertaining film.
    And film looks great

Al Kuenster likes this.
  2. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

So I finished the movie.
    I haven't seen this movie since it played in the theater. At the time I liked the film but didn't think it was anything great. So I was open to watching the Ulysses cut.
    And honestly, I think its a better movie in this cut. It never feels long. And I liked the ending better.
    Thanks for turning me on to this. Probably the first fan edit I think improves the film
    BTW the picture quality is great.

Purple, Simon A, Pete Puma and 3 others like this.
  3. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

jojopuppyfish likes this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Got the movie yesterday. Very nice package for those who care about that.
    But why didn't they use seamless branching? Three discs, one for each cut of the movie...why?

Haven't seen it in ten years. Loved it as a kid when it was new on VHS.
    Rewatched it last night. It's very uneven but three hours went by very fast. So the movie definitely have a lot of stuff going for it. And it's never boring, even if the Mariner/Costner is some scenes...

The boats and everything are very cool looking and have the right style but it's not a great looking movie I think. Why oh why didn't they shoot this in scope???

Picture and sound are good but I recently got the new release of Cliffhanger and it looks and sound much much better.

Maybe the should do a tv series loosly based on Waterworld. Kinda like what Westworld was to the old 70s film with the same name...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

So fans think they are getting $35 dollars value, later on the reissue label can remove the 3rd disc for the non-deluxe release and not have to re-author the discs.

budwhite likes this.
  6. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seamless branching probably would have required fancier authoring software than what Arrow has, too.

budwhite likes this.
  7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Arrow have used it for Giallos for language/subtitled/cut scene/title changes that varied in different countries.

Torso is presented by Arrow Video in its original aspect ratio of 1.66:1 from a 2K restoration of the film’s original 35mm camera negative. There are four versions to choose from via seamless branching: the original Italian version, a hybrid English/Italian version, an English version with the title Carnal Violence, and another English version with the title Torso. Both the Italian and Hybrid versions are 94 minutes in length, while the Carnal Violence and Torso versions are 90 minutes in length, the latter utilizing low grade VHS tape and print materials to recreate its opening sequence, which is unique to this version (and also identical to one of the film’s U.S. theatrical trailers). The primary source for all of these versions is the new restoration, aside from the Torso version’s opening. It’s a sharp-looking transfer overall, with excellent grain management and amazing depth and detail. Everything is stable and clean with strong color reproduction and perfect contrast. Black levels are deep with nice shadow detail and there are next to no instances of leftover damage.

8. Got it yesterday and started watching the Ulysses Cut. Added scenes so far have been pretty good (I only wanted to watch a bit - made it to the beginning of The Mariner's escape from the Atoll) and add to the sense of desperation at the Atoll.

Can't remember the Colors from other viewings, but something seems a bit "off" for some reason. Decent picture detail and OK sound.

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That's another movie in need of a deluxe Blu-ray that restores all the censored shots.

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Just ordered. I'm looking forward to the Ulyesses cut.

Purple likes this.
  11. will_b_free

I just ordered too, based on Arrow’s Facebook post saying they were selling very well in all countries, not just in the UK where it has essentially sold out. So expensive - like three months of Netflix expensive - but I’ve always had a soft spot for Cosner’s sci-fi films.

ssmith3046 and Tuco like this.
  12. will_b_free

It arrived - great looking box! And there's a flier inside promoting an upcoming Arrow edition of (among other titles), Southland Tales! Hopefully that means a box set that will include the 160 minute Cannes Film Festival version of the film. Teen horniness is not a crime.

ssmith3046 and Tuco like this.
  13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Just picked this up today... looking forward to watching it. According to the package, the Ulysses cut is actually a couple minutes longer than even the extended TV version... anyone know what was added?

14. At a guess?

The “Ulysses” scene.....

15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Yeah I thought something seemed a bit "off" about the color in the Ulysses cut, too... couldn't quite put my finger on it, and it didnt really detract from my enjoyment overall, but I was still aware of it most of the time.

There was one shot, however (during the Mariner's assault on the oil tanker) that looked like absolute garbage... I don't know how to describe it, but it's impossible to miss. Anyone know the shot I'm talking about? And more importantly, what's it doing there?

SoCalWJS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.