"Wattstax" - special edition DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ascot, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ascot

ascot Senior Member Thread Starter

I must confess, I know virtually nothing about this movie. I have heard of it and have seen the soundtrack in stores, but I have never watched the film or listened to the music. It sounds interesting though.

This is from The Cinema Laser website.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    OVER 30 YEARS AFTER THE ORIGINAL PERFORMANCE WARNER HOME VIDEO BRINGS "WATTSTAX - THE SPECIAL EDITION" TO MUSIC FANS ON SEPTEMBER 7 WITH THE ORIGINAL "LOST" ENDING AND ADDITIONAL NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN FOOTAGE!

Legendary Isaac Hayes Performances of the "Theme from Shaft" and "Soulsville" Conclude this Fully Restored and Digitally Remastered DVD Production!

Special Features Include audio commentaries by Chuck D, Isaac Hayes, Al Bell and others.

On August 20, 1972, more than 100,000 people gathered in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum for a seven-hour concert that became a cultural phenomenon known as "The Black Woodstock." Now, more than 30 years later, Warner Home Video will release WATTSTAX - THE SPECIAL EDITION, the film that documented this historic event. Available on home video for the first time, this 30th anniversary release includes Isaac Hayes' famous "lost" ending (seen only once, at the 1972 premiere), several audio commentaries, the original theatrical trailer as well as the 2003 Special Edition trailer and additional never-before-seen footage. WATTSTAX - THE SPECIAL EDITION is available on September 7, 2004 for $24.98 SRP.

WATTSTAX - THE SPECIAL EDITION was directed by Oscar nominee and four-time Emmy winner Mel Stuart who produced the film with Larry Shaw. Executive producers were Al Bell, former head of Stax Records and David L. Wolper.

DVD special features include:

Completely remastered Dolby 5.1 Digital soundtrack
    The original 1973 version's finale, "Rolling Down a Mountain," performed by Isaac Hayes
    Complete Albert King performance of "I'll Play the Blues for You"
    Audio and video commentary with Chuck D and music historian Rob Bowman
    Cast and crew audio commentary including Isaac Hayes, Mel Stuart, Al Bell and others
    Original 1973 trailer and 2003 Special Edition trailer
    "WATTSTAX was not only a concert, it was a cultural phenomenon, and the revolutionary performances represent the music of a generation," said Christine Martinez, WHV Vice President, Non-theatrical Franchise Marketing. "Loyal and passionate music fans will certainly embrace this long awaited release."

WATTSTAX was an all-day concert for the benefit of the Watts Summer Festival. Among the artists who performed were the Staple Singers, the Bar-Kays, Albert King, Rufus Thomas (leading the multitudes in the funky chicken), and Isaac Hayes. All of the artists appearing at the festival recorded for the legendary Memphis-based label Stax, which is synonymous with Southern soul music. WATTSTAX the film intersperses concert footage with candid commentary by Watts residents and, in brilliant form, Richard Pryor. Elvis Mitchell wrote in the New York Times "feral in his swiftness; you can see the routines cooking up in his head."

In the summer of 2003, the 30th anniversary of the WATTSTAX film's release, the newly remastered WATTSTAX film enjoyed a brief theatrical fun in major American markets. In January 2003, the picture had made its film festival debut at Sundance and was selected for inclusion in the prestigious Sundance Collection. WATTSTAX also screened at film festivals throughout the year in Atlanta, London, Seattle and Los Angeles.

Dedicated fans of WATTSTAX have been anxiously waiting more than thirty years to own the film that documents this landmark cultural event. The film has managed to maintain a fervent following, even though it has been virtually unavailable since its initial showing. The 30th Anniversary Special Edition has been carefully remastered in cooperation with the filmmakers, guaranteeing superlative picture and sound. These phenomenal performances are sure to draw new fans when PBS broadcasts the film on "P.O.V." the week the DVD goes on sale. In addition, Fantasly/Stax Records will release a CD, "WATTSTAX: Highlights from the Soundtrack," with notes by DVD commentator Rob Bowman on August 31.

2. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

There's an excellent article about Wattstax in the July issue of Mojo magazine. Check it out, if you can get hold of a copy. I'm looking forward to this DVD release!

Cheers,
    Chris

3. seriousfun

seriousfun Forum Resident

I saw the film at the Los Angeles screening last year, it was great!

My girlfriend and I decided to take a short drive and visit the Watts Towers after that for a 'hood culture afternoon.

4. ascot

ascot Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks, Chris. I'll check out that magazine.

5. jblock

jblock Senior Member

You can lots of info. and a clip at www.wattstax.com

I've got the import 3CD set that has the music from the actual festival itself. Couple that with Isaac Hayes at Wattstax and you pretty much most of the performance from that day. The two-CD version on Stax has some performances from other venues, just like the film.

Jonathan

6. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Very, very cool movie. I'd even call it uplifting. I saw it in a theater about three years ago, and I might even get the DVD (keep in mind I have like six DVDs, so that's a big deal.) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.