We buy White Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlienRendel, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

It's very cool. Wonder if Yoko Ono has seen them? She'd definitely be into it.

2. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Wow. This idea is fascinating and the interview is kinda funny. I don't know how else to describe it.

3. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Paul's art dealer Robert Frasier brought Hamilton and the Beatles together, setting up a meeting at Savile Row. Inevitably Paul kept his visitor waiting, and as Hamilton sat watching the beautiful people flounce by he became bored and irritated. By the time he was admitted to Paul's presence, Hamilton was really disgruntled. 'So when he said they wanted me to do the cover of this album they were working on, I said, "Why don't you do it yourself?"' Hamilton recalled to the author Michael Bracewell.

'Come on, haven't you got any ideas' Paul asked.

'Well, my best idea is to leave a white cover,' replied Hamilton. He hadn't intended to do a white cover when he came to the meeting. The notion occurred to him on the spur of the moment, almost as a put-down to Paul in response to being kept waiting and all the nonsense he saw surrounding the Beatles. To Hamilton's surprise, Paul agreed.

(Excerpt from FAB - An Intimate Life of Paul McCartney by Howard Sounes)

4. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Cool! Thanks for posting.

I also collect white albums. I only have a paltry 6 total. I have A1465518 (Xmas 1968 on cover), A2853598, No 2632405, 0831942 among them. Can some one tell me what the difference is between them?

5. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I'd love to see Robin Zasio from Hoarders have a talk with him...

xilef regnu likes this.
  6. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

If he's not listening to only UK tube cut pressings, then he certainly is.

7. Andrew Moore

Andrew Moore Active Member

I have seen quite few of such concepts and installations in my life. It was fun, a joke perhaps, but to call it art .... please!
    That would be an insult to John (Collier), Paul (Cezanne) and George (Seurat). I am sure Ringo would not be pleased as well.

8. That's a pretty limited view of what art is all about. Of course this art is not the classics but neither is the Fluxus or Minimalism movements or artists like Jackson Pollack, Robert Rauschenberg, Jasper Johns, Warhol and so on. You may not care for it and that is fair, but it is, like the original white album cover , pure art.

9. imarcq

What could be more minimal than a white square? A blank canvass that each owner can make his (or her) own. They represent great humanity in how the owners either add personal marks, cherish or disregard them totally. It's the perfect artform!

SuntoryTime and Mazzy like this.
  10. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

It's like, how much more white could this be? And the answer is none, none more white.

--Geoff

spindly, Ben L, Chip Z and 7 others like this.
  11. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Kinda cool but still somewhat weird.
    Does he have the 2012 remaster vinyl too?

12. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

Let's throw in a few old blank-cover copies of Dylan's 'Great White Wonder' just to mess with him.

andrewskyDE, kelhard and Mazzy like this.
  13. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Only first pressings, I guess.

14. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ah, yes as I read now from the interview.

15. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese

Nothing compared to some modern artists. I'd actually go to see this, if it ever travelled to, say, the Tate Modern in London. Unmade beds and piles of bricks? Nah, not interested.

16. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

But are you prepared to listen to the audio outcome?

17. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I wonder if he found a few gems in these old discarded copies.

UK Mono....looks Good to Very Good...plays Near Mint - just a hint of background noise between tracks:D

18. imarcq

Although the new remasters are allegedly MORE white, rather than the slightly off-white of the originals. The "off" White Album.

19. imarcq

"I graded this under a bright white halogen bulb but ignored what I actually saw anyway. NM"

20. Andrew Moore

Andrew Moore Active Member

Please read my previous postings. I am not talking about the white album (among 10 of my favorite covers).
    I was referring to that nut case who thinks that display of old dirty copies of a masterpiece is an art form by itself. Stupid, pretentious and talentless.

21. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

The artist is layering the scratched and worn audio from the albums into one new White Album pressing.
    It is an idea that has been floating around the contemporary art scene for a while now.
    The artist linked below is probably the precedent for this project. Although this artist is putting a decidedly 'Pop Art' spin on it. The Ono-Lennon's would love it. And Harrison would see the dark humour in the whole thing no doubt:D macca would probably say he was experimenting like this first:D
    http://fraenkelgallery.com/artists/idris-khan

SuntoryTime, Mazzy and apple-richard like this.
  22. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

:D

23. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Yep he probably is but he would fit right in here. :agree:

phil1db likes this.
  24. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese

Once, probably for a minute or so. Then it would depend on the headache!
    All I can imagine is the scratchiest, dirtiest vinyl sound.

25. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

[​IMG]When you go and have a neon sign custom made advertising the fact you're well beyond obsessed.

Aftermath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.