SH Spotlight We love LOVE! "Forever Changes" Elektra 1967 recording sessions and dates, studios, stories, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I can't add any new information to the discussion but would just like to say that I bought my copy on day of release and it (the album, not the same physical disc) has been a constant companion ever since. I was lucky enough to see Arthur and Baby Lemonade play it in it's entirety (with the Stockholm Strings) ten years ago, there's something magical about it that keeps drawing me back.

Bill likes this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think it may have depended on the pressing you had. The copy I bought in 69 sounded great on my KLH stereo. I've heard other gold labels that sounded terrible- totally rolled off and dull.

3. chacha

Alone Again Or got played briefly on AM radio in the Bay Area. Loved it and it disappeared right away

4. old school

old school Senior Member

I was 14 at the time and thought it was a cool cover and grabbed it. I was very familiar with the group because at that time I already had there other two albums so I knew it had to be good as it turned out Forever Changes is a masterpiece in my opinion. But yes very cool cover.

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  5. wayved

wayved Guest

Picked this up in 1996 I think after finally finding a copy of it. I had read a lot about it and had Rhino's Love's Greatest Hits cassette (I fell in love with that big time--haha!--bought on the same day that I heard Leonard Cohen's first album for the first time) and I tracked down what I could. But nothing really prepared me for how strange Forever Changes was. I bought the alternate mix album (I hope I still have it). I do not have any information about it but just wanted to admit my admiration for this beautiful record.

6. chacha

Really? I think the cover is great

TheDailyBuzzherd and Bill like this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Well, after I got into the album, sure, every time I saw that cover I got that jazzed feeling. But I remember in 1967 seeing the album at the May Co. and not being impressed. Wasn't impressed with the earlier two covers either. I felt they looked, well, like some older kids I knew who were on an album that was made by their art teacher or something. That one kid on the first cover (was that "Snoopy"?) He looked exactly like an older kid I knew, same really bad haircut..

EasterEverywhere and Mr Bass like this.
  8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

The cover is what got me interested in the first Love album. It was manufactured differently than the other records I had bought, with the printing on the cardboard, rather than on paper that was glued to the cardboard. And it was colorful! And the group looked strangely interesting. Didn't know quite why then, but I was hooked.
    Then, I opened and played it. A fan ever since.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Different here, we heard MY LITTLE RED BOOK on the radio and when we saw the album we were interested in seeing what LOVE looked like. They looked pretty weird to us. Not rock star weird but sort of just not right, dare I say it, amateurish. Eh, this was in late 1965 or so and we had some idea of what "angry" bands should look like, this wasn't it. My friend John Roark had the LP though by summer of 1966 in stereo. We liked the entire album although we knew they were clearly trying to sound like the Byrds. on many songs.

10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I think the cover collage looks like Africa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Yes. I remember visiting record shops in The Village and Times Square in the early '80's looking for recordings from even fairly well-known 1960's groups, and coming up empty-handed. It seems that once the CD format took hold and the soundtrack to the 1983 film The Big Chill reminded everyone of how much they missed the music of the '60's, the tidal wave of reissues began.

RiRiIII likes this.
  12. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I heard it was based on this:

[​IMG]

13. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Does anyone have info about how long the Forever Changes album image was up on the Sunset billboard? Just curious.

14. Steve Hoffman

Love on the Strip...jpg 4 weeks, wasn't it?

15. chacha

Cool

16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I started listening to love when I was about 14 or 15.
    My band in high school (Tall Saul & The Astrals) played a gutsy version of "Signed DC". Our PA system consisted of speakers ripped out of my parents console stereo and attached to a large cardboard box!

I remember hearing "My Little Red Book" on Russell Carey's Psychedelic Sunday radio show out of Columbus. I picked up a used copy of Love Revisited and I have been a fan ever since. That was 30 years ago and Forever Changes still sounds fresh today when I slap it on.

(cue the sound of me putting "Forever Changes" on my turntable...)

17. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Great vibe on Forever Changes. Only some Moby Grape songs give me the same feeling.

Signed DG and TheDailyBuzzherd like this.
  18. bvirts

bvirts Active Member

Anyone know when that Billboard was up?

19. bvirts

bvirts Active Member

Since the lp came out in November of '67, I'd guess late summer?

20. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Ahhh, Steve, thanks so much. I went looking for it on the 'net and couldn't find any pics.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I posted this before in another thread, but I think it's interesting to see the original trade ad, which has the cover without the coloring:

[​IMG]

22. Steve Hoffman

I got that pic from Maria McKee..

hodgo, vonwegen, Tuco and 1 other person like this.
  23. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

I think a lot of Love's magic (beyond the unpredictable brilliance of Arthur) was due to the tension between the styles and moods of Lee and MacLean; Arthur's dark vs. Bryan's more upbeat. On that first cover, Bryan is certainly the closest to the "look" one might have expected.

24. Steve Hoffman

When LOVE first appeared on the radio I was so young I didn't even realize that there WAS tension in a band. This was before the Monkees but after seeing HELP! I just assumed that if you were in a band you lived together happily in a big house. Which, ironically, LOVE did...

AlienRendel likes this.
  25. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Exactly the case here in Greece as well. In the early 80s we could have all heavy metal and new wave records (locally pressed and expensive imports as well) but almost nothing from 60s/70s.

Exceptions were Greek only reissues of 13th Floor Elevators, HP Lovecraft, Ultimate Spinach, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Seeds et al. - later in '85-'88 the specialized stores were also stocked with all these great Edsel reissues from UK: Mad River, West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, U.S.A.. etc. Also the infamaous EVA label from France with Chocolate Watchband, Litter etc. And German (IIRC) reissues of Electric Prunes, Love, Jefferson Airplane as well as the Allman Brothers (for years the only ABB LP I had was "Brothers of the Road" released back then- no sign from their legendary first records except from the Greek pressing of Fillmore East issued back in the day and impossible to be found in the early 80s) etc. And then the CD came and suddenly everything was made available for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.