SH Spotlight We love LOVE! "Forever Changes" Elektra 1967 recording sessions and dates, studios, stories, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarget

guitarget Forum Resident

Wow, it looks MUCH better that way

Jerrre likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Agreed.

I even like the title "Love Lives". If they had made this 12 x 12, it would have been a great cover for the third album.

3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I've never seen that before and agree that it looks great. Don't you think it would have been a bit similar to Revolver that way though?

I'm surprised some of you don't like the cover art. I've always liked how it promises the usual psychedelia but delivers something quite different.

AlienRendel likes this.
  4. wayved

wayved Guest

It's weird. I never have heard LOVE on the radio when I was young (1974-1996) ever. Never heard one tune. Either the radio was not on the right station or something.....The universe before computers was something to behold.

5. Steve Hoffman

Which one of you wrote this? Both Indy Mike and I agree, fine writing, much appreciated.

Put "Forever Changes" up against say The Doors "Strange Days" ,which represented pushing the envelope artistically, and "Forever Changes" sounds quaint. And I like the album.

"Quaint" is part of its charm IMO. I've noticed that if you listen to some very typically 60's pop music such as what you'd might find on one of the many Fading Yellow comps, that kind of psychedelic pop music has a lot in common with Forever Changes, but Forever Changes introduces a good measure of shadow and murk into what otherwise would be a very sunny sound. It's kind of subversive in that way. When you hear Strange Days you know that The Doors are trying to be all dark and gloomy denizens of the night. Arthur Lee's more like an unaware vampire; sitting in the sun, burning to ashes, and singing about it.

Signed DG, mrzpliff, somnar and 3 others like this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

In the '80s pretty much all of the reissues of '60s garage and psych came out of Europe, usually from semi-legit labels like Eva.

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That's a perfect summation of the magic in that album: "sitting in the sun, burning to ashes, and singing about it.."

Signed DG likes this.
  8. wayved

wayved Guest

When I first heard this record I could not believe what I was hearing. I don't know how many of you experienced it in the 60s, 80s, or 90s, but I first heard it in 1997. The so-called modern world. I had a computer. But for some reason it was not out of step. Forever Changes is not some trippy dippy 60s album. It is of it's own stripe. I remember I was playing it at work one day, on my cassette player that I brought in every single day--and someone came up to me and asked me "what is that ****?" I can understand her reaction then, as we were surrounded by Goo Goo Dolls and No Doubt on the radio. But that was the first time I really felt like a music "weirdo"

Shak Cohen and Steve Hoffman like this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

That unaware vampire in the sun burning to ashes and singing about it is a fantastic image

stereoptic and indy mike like this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

11. Steve Hoffman

I have an update, not that anyone cares:

Andmoreagain Western Recorders four track music 6/9/67 & 6/12/67 & 8/11/67, 9/5/67 (released track), final overdubs Sunset Sound Recorders, date unknown, September 67

Hamhead, AlienRendel and Tuco like this.
  12. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I do- thanks!

Hamhead and Tuco like this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

Well good, you're welcome!

14. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Good to know that you are still on the trail!

15. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

16. Chris180g

Chris180g Forum Resident

RiRiIII likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

This still coming out?

18. Chris180g

Chris180g Forum Resident

19. Steve Hoffman

stereoptic likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

This.

stereoptic likes this.
  21. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I bought the album sometime in the 70s and tried to get into it but didn't quite get there. My roommate took it from me and kept it. However, recently somebody turned me on to this documentary of Love and there I heard some songs I really liked so I'm going to revisit.

22. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Like a lot of people, my first was the Golden Archive comp. I had gotten into Rhino via their Monkees reissues my senior year in high school, and it sent me on a big 60s pop kick. I still remember having side two of that LP on my turntable while fooling around with my high school girlfriend, who just stopped what she was doing and started at the stereo with utter confusion when "Laughing Stock" came on.

Signed DG likes this.
  23. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Beautiful song.
    Need this album on my table more often.

24. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Late to this thread by far. Forever Changes is definitely one of the finest albums ever. I had it when it was first released and I loved it then but I understand it more now.

25. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, me too.

RonW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.