Weak sounding 80s CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I have the following CD edition of Dinosaur Jr.'s Green Mind:

Sire/Warner/Blanco Y Negro
    (c) 1991 WEA Records, Made in USA
    9 26479-2

I'm listening to it again as I type this, cranking it up and loving it, and I think perhaps it's just that you and I have a different idea of what sounds "great"? ;)

To me, this album has a "great," gritty lo-fi appeal. It's not an audiophile caliber, demonstration quality disc by any means. But to convey the energy and rawness of the sessions, it's awesome.

"Puke + Cry" is a song I love to turn up to about 85dBs... I really dig that Paul Kolderie engineered snare drum, with the cymbals that float perfectly in the soundstage, and when the toms are hit on some of the drum rolls/fills, the bass is almost subterranean. I wouldn't want those subterranean bass frequencies throughout the entire song, just a hint of them during the fills (otherwise they'd dull the shimmering acoustic guitars), so that song is engineered perfectly in my opinion.

Yep, on to track three and this CD absolutely rocks on my system, to my ears.

Craig(VC).

fatwad666 likes this.
  2. Adular Zech

Adular Zech Forum Resident

I am with audiospirit here.

And on the 70ies and 80ies period of Stones albums, the original CBS CDs with their vinylesque smoothness and breathe of life make the remasters sound clinically sterile. Almost all old CBS CDs I know are quite good if not even great! Priest included, of course.

And talking about Heavy Metal, the old EMI Maidens and Scorpions are wonderful. AC/DC isn't really metal but their old CDs are the best choice anyway.

:cheers:

3. Adular Zech

Adular Zech Forum Resident

The only CD that REALLY sounds thin I can think of at the Moment is Sweet, Off the record, Repertoire Records version, on Fever of Love. This song seems to be on a lower level than the other songs on that CD. You have to turn up the volume to levels you normally never use because your windows wouldn't stand that, and there's still not enough power on that song.

Ok, I give in. It's thread crap. Sweet is 70ies, and the CD was made in the 90ies ;) ;) Btw Give us a wink sounds ok ;) :wave:

4. kraekker

kraekker German Music Physicist & Dadaismus Aficionado

Difficult question on a forum that's so much devoted to early pressings... ;) which I am, btw, as well. But still I'd argue that there are quite some weak sounding 80s CDs. My 20 cents:

* U2 - The unforgettable fire: Great record, but still very dull sounding IMHO. Even the later-released MFSL doesn't change that impression too much,

* Jimi Hendrix - Are you experienced (WG Polydor): Still remember when I bought it and thought - THAT can't be, can it? Unstable stereo image, weired EQ. Just recently when I shout an US No No-Noised Lee Hershberg I noticed that this record doesn't sound THAT bad at all (EH is a different tale IMHO)

* Ten Years After - Sssh: Wow, how can Alvin Lee sound so lifeless on this first Chrysalis release, although the songs are really stomping? Fortunately here, MFSL really helps - if you're willing to spend the extra bucks.

And certainly plenty more - but these are the first which spring to my mind...

5. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

First issue "Moments" by Boz Scaggs.

I had listened to the LP about 50 times over the years, and when I first played the CD I thought: "What the f***?" :confused:

It was my first realization that this "Perfect Sound (Forever)" wasn't all it was cracked up to be! :realmad:

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

One reason for that is the comparison to the record is odious - that was a fantastic record with huge presence and dynamics. I have a couple of CD versions - the A&M JPN sounds better than most; but nothing like the LP. That was audio demo material.

7. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Not the 80's London Stones.

8. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

WoW
    I thought all the Factory CD's were the way to go w/New Order.
    Is there a CD issue that's better?

9. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

10. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Mob Rules on WB is fantastic. The best CD version there is, IMO. Huge, powerful sound. The antithesis of anything that could be described as "thin," IMO. Given some volume, this CD could knock down a wall at a neighbor's house.

From three blocks away.

On the other hand, the WB version of Heaven and Hell has top end boost and is vastly inferior to some other early CD pressings. Presumably, a production tape was pulled for this one.

11. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Christopher Cross: Another Page

12. tcj

tcj Senior Member

What version is suggested (hopefully one that is relatively easy to find)? Love the album, but it does have a rather oddly nasal, top-heavy sound.

13. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

Most early CD's sound great to me! It is probably 90/10 great/poor.

With remastered stuff it is more like 2/98 :laugh:

One example of a not so good early CD is Boz Scaggs Silk Degrees - definitely sounds like it needs a blood transfusion.

14. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

The Japanese 1st or 2nd pressings (a 3rd pressing also mirrors this one, btw) are best, IMO.

The WG Vertigo is also really good, as it was mastered pretty well by Gert Van Hoeyen (unlike the poor sounding WG Vertigos of the Ozzy-era material, which were done by Hans Brethouwer).

Any of these make the WB CD sound like tin.

15. Like what CD? Give your example.

16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I'll agree...mostly. The ones from 76-82 are must have in non-remastered form.

17. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Petula Clark's Greatest Hits (GNP Crescendo) - It also won't play in some players. I kept it as a reminder & an example for others of how bad a CD can be.

18. The Birds 20 Greatest Hits is really bad--probably the result of a bad transfer from bad source tapes. Probably the worst sounding CD I own.

19. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

All Things Must Pass (The current one sucks too, but in an entirely different way).

20. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

The original CD of Joe Jackson's Look Sharp! has got to be the most thinest, bassless CD I've ever heard.

21. TheRimeOfIcarus

TheRimeOfIcarus Active Member

Of these bands, some of their 80's CDs sound pretty thin in my opinion:

Blind Guardian
    Crimson Glory
    Dio
    Dokken
    Fates Warning
    Helloween
    Megadeth(much preferred over the 2004 remixes though)
    Running Wild
    Yngwie Malmsteen

22. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

That was the early Factory pressed in Japan pressing, right? The US Qwest pressing was better. I haven't heard the remaster yet, been avoiding them because I heard they had not found all the masters for some reason when they put them out.

23. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

I almost agree...until Steve's 52nd Street I thought the original mastering was the best of a lackluster bunch. I think that Steve's disc is definitive now. For the rest of that era I think originals are the way to go. (Note: I haven't done comparison on Glass Houses with Steve's CD).

I was just about to post something like this! I think for Look Sharp the vinyl is the only way to go. Neither CD gets it right.

24. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Not many out of many heard, but these stick in my mind:

Joy Division: Substance (UK Factory) Like New Order mentioned above, a source tape issue, not from the masters or anything close apparently. Bah!

Peter Murphy: Love Hysteria (UK Beggars Banquet) This freaked me out a bit in 1988 when I got it, it sounded so lifeless and cold, first time I ever went back to an LP, which was a tiny bit nicer. It's a DDD recording, partially recorded at Abbey Road. Haven't heard either for years though as the material dated rapidly & horribly IMHO.

25. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

B-b-b-but - I thought old and quiet inherently meant the cds were better!!!!

*blows head off with shotgun*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.