Weakest Link: Beatles "Please Please Me" - Round 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

Still one song with 0 votes!

2. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Chains
    Ask Me Why
    P.S. I Love You
    Baby It's You

DQ: First heard this in whole via the '87 CD. Good album (lots of energy!) but poorly mastered (much improved on the '09 mono box set). I too am sorry to see "A Taste of Honey" getting eliminated so early on, as I rather like its somewhat eerie atmosphere.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  3. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Easy:

• Boys - Ringo sings and George doinks his way though the solo. Badly played.
    • Ask Me Why - a totally boring song from start to finish.
    • Love Me Do - It IS a classic, but it is a naive and not great composition.
    • A Taste Of Honey - just no.

4. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

I picked Anna, Chains, Boys & A Taste Of Honey. I was given the LP as a Christmas prezzy on Xmas Eve 1963. Dad bought it for me whilst we were out on some last minute shopping. Mono 5th pressing, so nothing rare about it. I still have it & it still plays perfectly after all these years.

What's this DQ all about, never seen it before?

5. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Tough,

But Chains, Honey, Boys and IMO the worst Beatle original track of them all PS I Love You.
    Great album though, probably 2nd fave of the pre Rubber Soul albums and first Beatles album along with Cloud Nine hearing in my Dad’s car as a kid late 80’s early 90’s. Special memories

6. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

Chains
    Boys
    Ask Me Why
    A Taste of Honey

I was already vaguely familiar with some of the more famous songs on 'Please Please Me', but I didn't really get to listen to their albums until the 2009 remasters came out. I liked it from the very beginning, but this was a time when I was also discovering their other albums too, so the early albums immediately took a backseat. I remember thinking that The Beatles sounded pretty similar until 'Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band' (perhaps a subconscious reason it's still my favorite album of theirs), but now I can't help but see immense differences between each year.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I've just realized that there is not one track on PPM that I dislike more than "Little Child."

8. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I never saw Introducing in the stores during the late 60's. I first saw pirated copies in drug stores and the like around 1976.
    I had The Early Beatles. I never knew of the existence of Please Please Me or the rest of the UK albums until the early '70s.

Oatsdad likes this.
  9. Kent Gray

Kent Gray Resident

My mother bought me Introducing The Beatles when I was four years old (we had watched them on Ed Sullivan). So I cut my teeth on that album. I still listen to it at least a couple times per year.

Oatsdad likes this.
  10. Kent Gray

Kent Gray Resident

I would have liked "Ask Me Why" much more without the "woo woo woo woo's".

Bern likes this.
  11. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Do You Want To Know A Secret is pretty terrible. Cheesy song, out-of-tune vocals….please make it stop.

12. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

"Anna (Go To Him)", "Chains", "Baby It's You" and "A Taste Of Honey", though I quite like the latter more than most people do.

Please Please Me was the 4th Beatles album I bought and listened to (on cassette, after Help!, Let It Be and Revolver). Few songs were familiar to me, particularly the side openers and closers. I wasn't impressed by the rest, but now it's an album I enjoy listening to from start to finish. Actually I bought Sgt. Pepper the same day and I was amazed by the fact that both albums were recorded by the same band.

13. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

All covers: Chains, Boys, Baby, It’s You, and of course A Taste Of Honey.

I acknowledge A Taste Of Honey’s inclusion being brilliant as it, and Till There Was You, reached out to the Mom’s and Dad’s and broadened their appeal across generations.

But, over the side it goes.

14. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Chains
    Boys
    Ask Me Why
    PS I love You

15. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

My 4 too.
    Had to think about 'secret', but I actually prefer the Billy J Kramer version, so go it must.

veloso2 likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

When I became a massive adolescent Fabs fan in spring 1979, a friend's mom owned a copy of "Introducing". I got to hear it once but she wouldn't sell it - or more accurately probably, wouldn't just let me have it! :D Not sure how much money I could've thrown her way back then.

Have long wondered if it was legit or one of the skillions of pirated copies.

Also wonder if it was Version 1 or Version 2.

Had no clue about any of that stuff as a kid, of course! I was just excited to see a Beatles album I knew I couldn't buy at my local stores!

Kent Gray likes this.
  17. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

I gave the boot to the wretched A Taste of Honey

First heard PPM in my 20s. I'm not really a fan of the first two Beatles albums, although I like some songs individually. The Beatles begin for me with A Hard Day's Night.

Edit: I guess I could have given the boot to 3 more. "Boys" certainly would have been chosen. Oh, well. Maybe next time.

18. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Hard going to choose between Chains and Boys, I like Chains that slight bit more I guess, at least today.

Declutter with:
    Anna (Go to Him)
    Boys
    Baby It's You
    A Taste of Honey

19. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

A taste of honey
    Chains
    Love me do
    Anna

1980 in my early fan days. I liked it but there were too many non originals. Also weird instruments on one side vocals on the other. I like it more now especially in mono

20. Oatsdad

I get that a lot! :D

JamieC likes this.
  21. Kent Gray

Kent Gray Resident

I don't recall anything about the Introducing album now, other than it was on VeeJay and was mono. I doubt it was a bootleg because she bought it in early 1964 sometime. Nowadays, I just listen to the Please Please Me CD.

She bought Something New a year or so later, then she stopped buying Beatle records. It wasn't until 1967 that I scraped enough money together to buy Magical Mystery Tour.

22. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Boys
    PS
    Secret
    Honey

I was probably like 12 when I bought a pirated version of Introducing. I will admit that at the time I was a little bit disappointed. they just seemed so hopelessly square, both musically and image-wise. Of course I was being unfair and was totally wrong. I have loved this album now for many years. Already I’m having difficulty voting off songs (except for a certain movie title song).

23. Paper Shark

Paper Shark Forum Resident

Chains
    Baby It's You
    Boys
    Secret

I probably heard this in the 80's. It's an enjoyable album but I always enjoyed the Beatle originals versus their cover versions.

24. DLD

DLD Senior Member

That 2 people had I Saw Her Standing There in their top 4 worst is surprising. One of my all time, top 5, Beatles' favourites. Anyway, I had cuts 2-5. I kind of like A Taste Of Honey but it was close to making top 4.

skisdlimit likes this.
  25. Gratefully Deadicated

Gratefully Deadicated Escaping through the lily fields

Chains
    Boys
    Love Me Do
    PS I Love You

The last two songs I've just heard a little too much and I'm kind of burnt on.