Weakest Link poll: The Beach Boys - Sunflower (Round 8) - the FINAL

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bob_32_116, Sep 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur Thread Starter

Dennis had a good run on this poll, with two songs in the final four, but it couldn't last Forever, and his luck finally ran out in round 7.

What happens now? Will people opt for the complex "epic" paean to "Cool Cool Water", or the short but sweet quintessentially Beach Boysish "This Whole World"? Stay tuned - and VOTE.

Remember to vote for the song you consider the WEAKEST.

---------------------------------------------------------

Songs eliminated:
    • Got To Know the Woman (round 1)
    • Tears In the Morning (round 1)
    • Deirdre (round 2)
    • At My Window (round 2)
    • It's About Time (round 3)
    • Our Sweet Love (round 3)
    • Add Some Music To Your Day (round 4)
    • All I Wanna Do (round 5)
    • Slip On Through (round 6)
    • Forever (round 7)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Discussion: Which two songs would have been your final pairing, and which would you pick for the win?

2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I love 'This Whole World' so much, I started a thread on it.
    Goodbye 'Water'.

veloso2 likes this.
  3. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

I would have "This Whole World" and "All I Wanna Do" as the final pairing I suppose, with "This Whole World" to win

4. bob_32_116

Guys, make sure you select the one you want to vote OFF.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  5. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Cool, Cool Water, wonderful piece of music but always feels like an amazing outtake that doesn't quite fit on the album. This Whole World is two mins of Brian genius.

Mr Sam and John Porcellino like this.
  6. bob_32_116

My final pairing: "All I Wanna Do" vs "Cool, Cool Water", with the former winning by a nose.

"Water" is the cleverest composition on the album, but "All I Wanna Do" is a lush dreamy guilty pleasure.

I would probably put "This Whole World" in third place. It might be higher if it was not so short. Not only is it short, it feels short, a little unfinished, like a radio edit.

7. John Manning

John Manning #FreeFeelFlows

CCW is genius.

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Water

?: My final would have been This Whole World v. All I Wanna Do

willy likes this.
  9. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Cool Cool Water is the final weakest link for me.

My final two: Slip on Through and This Whole World

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Goodbye, This Whole World

11. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

In thinking about this....
    My choices would have been between 'Forever' and 'This Whole World'.
    The beauty with Forever, it's really such a simple melody,
    it has a couple clever chords and some wonderful vocal phrases in the 'bridge' of the song.
    It's the way the song is delivered.
    Dennis' vocal, the supporting musical bedding it's given, just shows, simplicity sometimes conquers all.
    The lyrics are nothing from the pen of Van Dyke Parks, and nor they should be in the message of this song.
    It's exquisite.

'This Whole World', it's another beast altogether.
    How it works with the chord changes, and how fast it flys by, just leaves me wanting so much more!
    For anyone wanting to know how great Brian was as a musical composer, not a producer or arranger,
    This Whole World shows why he is one of the best.

Tristero, oldsurferdude and willy like this.
  12. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

I could listen to 'This Whole World' and its sessions/stack-o-vocals/stack-o-track for hours. Some dense beauty in there.

Question for someone... the Spring version has a 'Starlight, Starbright' section. Was this exclusive to the Spring 'This Whole World' or was this perhaps originally intended to be a fragment of a longer Beach Boys version?

13. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Same here... :agree:

14. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

"This Whole World" STILL has my vote. I am honestly pretty surprised it lasted this long and is apparently going to reign as the strongest track!

My final two would have been "It's About Time" and "Forever." "Forever" would have been my strongest track, though "It's About Time" is my actual favorite on the album. I think it is one of the best and most badass songs they've ever done! Also, in this very Dennis-inclusive album, I would have liked to see him actually make it to the Top 2. Pretty cool, though, that the most well-known song outside of Beach Boys fans from this album is a Dennis tune.

15. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

World

Having considered various selections on this round of TWL, it seems I don't like this album quite as much as I used to. Still, you could assemble a solid album comprising the best of this and Surf's Up, and outtakes. A perfect album if you could also cherry pick Holland trax.

Normally, a Smile track would be my default pick as the surviving winner, but Water's '70 reworking resulted in unnecessary cutesy-ness. And since I seldom abide by the conventions of picking two finalists...

I'll just pin Slip, Water, Wanna and Forever to the wall, and throw a dart.

16. bob_32_116

I'd like to think people here are voting according to how good they think each song is, rather than to try and boost the poll rating of a particular band member. As a matter of fact I get slightly annoyed at the "underdog" promotion of Dennis. IMO, the fact is that his two brothers were just better songwriters. "Forever" is probably his best song; most of his songs I would class as good but not brilliant. I don't think e ever wrote anything approaching the standard of "This Whole World" or "All I Wanna Do", nor for that matter "Feel Flows" or "All This Is That".

17. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Going with eliminating "World" here, Cool Cool Water is just such an amazing song, and in a perfect place at the ending "cool down" after "At My Window".

18. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

I'd hope so too! I genuinely think "It's About Time" is one of the best songs on ANY Beach Boy album, so that is not just a "be nice to Dennis" thing for me. Anyway, I was just answering the question, perhaps I was more effusive than was necessary.

19. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

This Whole World for the umpteenth time

All I Wanna Do over Cool, Cool Water

20. bob_32_116

The Bump.

21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Me too.

22. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Which two songs would have been your final pairing, and which would you pick for the win?
    This Whole World and Forever
    This Whole World for the win

23. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Would "final pairing" means the 2 you would eliminate first, or the 2 best ones on the album?

24. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

"Cool Cool Water" has run dry.

"All I Wanna Do" would have been my pick over "This Whole World".

25. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

“This Whole World” to go....

My final two would be “Forever” (I know I voted this one off, and that was wrong) and “Cool, Cool Water”, with the latter winning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.