Weakest Link: Spice Girls Greatest Hits - Round 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

Due to a tie - and low turnout! - we dropped 4 from the first round: "Let Love Lead the Way", "Holler", "Headlines" and "Voodoo".

That leaves us with 11 and we'll still go multiple elimination, so vote off the THREE weakest links!

Discussion: when did you last listen to Spice Girls, and how has your opinion of their music changed since you first heard them?

2. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I don’t have much of an opinion but my wife does so I had her vote.

She played me a couple of their albums a month or so ago. When they first came out I was a teenager and not at all interested in pop music so I just wrote them off. Hearing the records now I thought they were fun, had some good melodies. Not something I’d put on that frequently but I get why they were so big.

Oatsdad likes this.
  3. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

This has to be one of the most bizarre weakest links ever, so congratulations on that! However, I did vote. The only one I haven’t heard is Move Over, so I left it, and went for Mama, Stop, and Goodbye.

featheredfiend and Todd W. like this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Too Much
    Viva
    Goodbye

5. Oatsdad

What's "bizarre" about it?

It's atypical for the rock-centric SHF - which is probably why it's not doing great in terms of votes - but I don't see what's "bizarre" about it! :confused:

Daniel Plainview and DirkM like this.
  6. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Mama
    Move Over
    Too Much

Oops; I just found this thread, and I already answered this question on the Round 1 thread! Tl,dr: I used to think they only had 1-2 great songs and a bunch of nondescript filler. Now I enjoy most of their hits. GH, in particular, gets spun at least once a month around here.

I'm saddened that Let Love Lead The Way left so early. It's a gorgeous song, and it's sung with real feeling (unlike their other ballads).

7. Oatsdad

Disagree - it seems like a generic ballad without the spark of the earlier ballads.

"Goodbye" is probably the best ballad, but anything they did 1996-98 beats the sappy "Let Love"!

8. Oatsdad

Discussion: as I mentioned last round, I hated Spice Girls through 1997.

My then-girlfriend and I decided to go to their local show in June 1998 essentially as a "hate watch" kinda thing - the concert looked so awful that I wanted to see it just to marvel at its badness.

To my shock, the concert was great and I literally became a Spice Girls fan overnight!

My interest waxes and wanes connected to their activity level. When they've reunited, I've remembered how much I love them.

My most recent resurgence came with the 2019 reunion shows. I went to England for 5 shows - I would've preferred they came to the US, but when it was clear the tour wouldn't arrive on these shores, I chose travel over missing the tour entirely!

So I most recently played Spice Girls in the last few months, and I still love 'em almost as much as I did in 1998!

DirkM likes this.
  9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I always secretly liked "Say You'll Be There" and "Spice Up Your Life" so I had the CDs but hid them under the mattress. Now I happily play the first two Spice Girls albums and like pretty much everything I hear. They're good, catchy songs.

Yeah, this thread is oh so weird. What with discussing music from the last 20 years. For shame!

10. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

11. Oatsdad

I kinda feel like Spice Girls have become more respectable over the last decade or so - not quite as "shameful" for people to like them.

The crowds I saw in England this year were definitely the most diverse of all the SG tours I've attended! Still dominated by women of a certain age - ie, the kids who loved them in 1998 who were 20-somethings for the 2007-08 reunion and are now 30-somethings - but more men, straight and gay!

12. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I picked Mama, Move Over & Viva Forever. My wife, looking over my shoulder, said I should have picked Who Do you Think You Are. She’s wrong.

I last listened to the Spice Girls today, because I bought that LP of Spice yesterday. Before that, the last time was a few months ago when I listened to SpiceWorld.

I didn’t really think much about Wannabe when I heard it, then I didn’t hear them again for 18 months. Once I saw the movie and my friend picked up the first album, I thought the music was kind of cheesy, but fun. I still think it’s kind of cheesy, but fun. I appreciate the occasionally clunky lyrics. It makes the records feel more genuine than a lot of similar fare from the time.

DirkM likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

I agree with you. I like all those songs, but "Who Do You Think You Are" is better than any of the 3 you eliminated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.