Weekend Box Office--Pirates Plunder the Top Spot!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jimbo, Jul 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Pirates of the Caribbean broke the curse on pirate movies, keel-hauling in $46 mil over the weekend, and $70 mil since its Wed. opening. This weekend's Top Ten:

1. "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl," $46.4 million.

2. "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," $23.25 million.

3. "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines," $19.6 million.

4. "Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde," $12 million.

5. "Finding Nemo," $8.2 million.

6. "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle," $7.3 million.

7. "Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas," $4.6 million.

8. "28 Days Later," $4.25 million.

9. "The Hulk," $3.7 million.

10. "The Italian Job," $2.8 million.

Finding Nemo will hit $300 million by next week, setting its sights on The Lion King as the top-grossing animated flick off all time.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Legally Blonde over Nemo. Sad!

Then Hulk looks like a big bomb, knowing the money they must have put in it!

3. Matt

Matt New Member

Don't feel bad for Nemo, Sckott. Nemo's at $290 million total so far, making it hands down the top grossing film of the year. Blonde has been out for two weeks and it's dropping like a rock. The only reason why it's ahead of Nemo for last week's grosses is because it's a newer movie.

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

It's actually been a real bad summer for movies, they seem to open and then fall off the radar in one week.

Finding Nemo has been the only gem this Summer.

Glad to see the Pirates hex is over. Cuthroat Island which is considered the biggest bomb in history made only $2 million dollars its opening weekend dooming Gena Davis and her then husband Renny Harlin to the scrap heap of Hollywood.

I'd hate to see a Johnny Depp movie bomb like that. He gave Pirates all he had, a very funny performance that is worth catching if not now, then on DVD later this year.

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I saw Legally Blonde last week.

Terrible.

Lost me in the first 5 minutes where she hires a private eye to find her dog's mother.... who is in a testing facility..... she then goes to Washington to ban animal testing...

The rest of the movie is platable but the premise is totaly unbelieveable.

Glad to hear about the Pirates!!!!

6. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, why did you go to this movie in the first place over say Pirates Of The Caribbean? :confused:

7. nashreed

nashreed New Member

Is the "Pirates..." movie enjoyable? I kind of have brushed it off because it seemed like such a rip of my favorite Disneyland ride, but maybe there's some substance to it after all? Isn't there still "The Haunted Mansion" movie coming out too? And then the inevitable "Splash Mountain" movie :o ...

James

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I saw the trailer to Pirates.

I want the monkey.

9. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

This is a sad summer for movies. There's not one film in the top ten I have any interest in seeing. Can anyone suggest a decent movie that isn't in the top ten? I haven't been to a movie since "The Matrix Reloaded"!

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Pirates is really good. Dragged my woman to see it Saturday night and even she enjoyed it. Very well done even though it could have been a disaster. Johnny Depp is fantastic.

11. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

James: "Pirates" is worth seeing for Johnny Depp's performance alone. His "Keith Richards as a pirate" impression is amazing! You'll get a kick out of the 3 or 4 scenes that pay direct homage to the theme-park ride.

For anyone seeking a "small," well-acted, character-driven movie, you can't go wrong with "Whale Rider." No chase scenes, no explosions, no evil robots, no CGI effects, just a very nice family-oriented charmer--if you're into that kind of thing!:thumbsup:

12. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

BTW, PIRATES is getting rave reviews from Depp fans everywhere, most of whom seem to be women....I think word-of-mouth is really selling this one, since the industry and critics alike seemed to figure it was going to bomb, and badly. Well, T3 isn't setting any box-office records, MATRIX RELOADED hasn't quite lived up to expectations, and THE HULK just hasn't caught on, though I can hardly wait for the DVD of that one, since it's sure to have some fine extras.

ED:cool:

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Please see the thread entitled "Marriage Sacrifices".

:D

(Seriously, it was not playing yet... )

14. chaz

chaz Senior Member

:laugh: I kinda guessed it musta been something like that. Either your wife or a daughter or both :D In my case I'm so sick of Legally Blond 1 (my daughter has the dvd). But the pressure's on today to take her to the movies (cheap Tuesday). Do you think she wants to see Pirates???? Noooooo!!!! Too scary.... guess what she wants to seeee ?? :mad: :mad: :mad:

15. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Rush is very good too, and the CGI creepy living-dead pirates are a lot of fun. But Depp pretty much runs away with the movie. Fun stuff.

Dan C

16. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

The reviews have actually been pretty good. The "tomatometer" is at 76%.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/PiratesoftheCaribbeanTheCurseoftheBlackPearl-1123873/

Good word-of-mouth and the "chick factor" probably help as well. My older daughter seems to really like Depp. :rolleyes: Ah well, at least he's a great actor and not just another pretty face and bum.

Dan C

17. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

It has been a funny time for movies. There have been plenty of hyped releases (Matrix II), hyped releases that didn't live up to their names (The Hulk), non-hyped releases that were actually good (Bruce Almighty). But even more amazing is, how an animated flick will probably be the highest grossing movie of all summer.

Then again, IMHO, "Nemo" will be the best movie of the year. I can't see anything even coming close. Not even ROTK - Nemo has that universal appeal that makes it instantly likeable. Everyone I know has seen the movie -once, twice, four times! - and thinks it's the best animated movie since the old Disney classics.

Would a "Best Picture" Academy Award be bestowed upon a clown fish and his son? I hope so!

18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

"Then again, IMHO, "Nemo" will be the best movie of the year. I can't see anything even coming close. Not even ROTK - Nemo has that universal appeal that makes it instantly likeable. Everyone I know has seen the movie -once, twice, four times! - and thinks it's the best animated movie since the old Disney classics."

Thats the amazing thing, when Nemo first came out the critics gave it less than 4 stars because they thought it was "no Toy Story".

But it really is a special film all on its own. Easily a 4 star movie and maybe the best movie out this year.

Pixar keeps getting better and better.

19. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Don't mean to rain on Disney's parade, but I thought it was ridiculously hokey. If another studio made the film it wouldn't have had such a terrible ending. And it was about a half hour too long. Well made, well acted, but the script let me down. Oh well, I guess the "suspend your disbelief" button on my cortex doesn't work anymore.

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I read the same criticism about Monster Inc. and I can't watch it enough!
    I now find Toy Story is one of my least favourites compared to the last 2 Pixar films.

21. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

The monkey was a royal pain in the ass

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.