Weight of shelves with vinyl concern

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Paul Beatty, Oct 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teag

teag Forum Resident

Bend over?

2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Duh, remove some songs from it!

3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

This is all fine and dandy. But that's not how structure works. Take a Statics or better yet a Strengths of Materials course. Ultimate load is based on cantilevering. The joists span between load bearing supports from underneath. This maximum load in any code would be worst case. If the code states anything, it's an amount that would be safe anywhere in the room. So you design to the worst case. And 67 lbs. can't be right. A person stands within a square foot space. And the average person weighs well over 67 lbs. The greatest load would be the midpoint of the joist. This is where your beam is the weakest because it's cantilevered furthest from the support at either of the ends of the joist. The wall that is adjacent to the shelf, if load bearing would have structure much, much stronger than into the room. But you would have to know which direction joists are placed. If the joists are parallel to the aforementioned adjacent wall, there there could be problems. This is what I would check. There shouldn't need to be any calculations to answer these kinds of questions. The code exists it keep people safe. But building codes aren't perfect. You just have to be smart about things. Normally a long wall in a room isn't going be a non-load bearing one. If it is, there there should be some kind of support under it. Where you get into huge problems with structure would be if the room was set up like a library where shelving stacks extending into the middle of the room. What this amount to is this: it should be safe if the wall is load bearing because the joist are extending the load from the center of the room back to the wall. If the wall isn't loading bearing, there is probably a problem.

4. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

... which is also true for the OP's situation.

5. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

There is a layer of plywood or OSB under the particleboard.

6. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

I don't recall admitting you to our home for an underfloor inspection. When did you do that?

ogdens_sliced likes this.
  7. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Same setup like mine. 1991 construction, 4x8 plywood panel floors with basement cast iron joists supporting the floor above with furniture and a 700 pound baby grand piano- Yamaha. John M.
    PS, its the IKEA shelves im concerned about after hearing about their construction.

8. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I've taken Static's/Dynamics, Concrete Structures, Etc. I have a masters in engineering. That is exactly how it works.
    Code is 40 psf residential. (Attics are less).
    his load exceeds that because it is concentrated over a small area.
    If spread out over the floor then no issue.
    The 40 is design, not ultimate, there is a safety factor.

A 200 lb person may occupy 1 sf (actually 1.5 x 1 is closer, for elevator calcs 2 sf/person is used) but the load is distributed over a larger area. Assume 16" oc joists x 10' long. If he straddles between 2 joists at 5' the average load is 200/(1.33 x 10) = 15 psf Actually lower since the flooring will spread it over other joists.

Each end transfers 100 to the bearing point.
    Now as he moves towards a bearing point it's share increases. But average loading does not. But point loading does.

His loading on that section of the floor may exceed code, if he is concerned (he seems to be since he posted) he should get someone to look at it it. Either way no skin off my nose. He asked, I offered my opinion.

btw he is not cantilevered. He supported at each end. If what you mean is if a load is 1/3 from the bearing point it carries 2/3 of the load, yes.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  9. Ingenieur

The prevailing code in my area is the IRC.
    For reference.
    Note: Uniformly Distributed Load

[​IMG]

10. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Ingenieur likes this.
  11. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

In the US it's National Building Code unless it's a mobile home. Particleboard is an underlayment which is applied over a subfloor (plywood), typically under carpet or vinyl floor covering in the 90's.

12. Cautionary tale but in fairness to the Expedit, that one was assembled incorrectly. The structural supports were installed vertically instead of on the horizontal. Regardless, once full, don't try and move em or lean against em.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  13. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Well. I'm not in the US, so ...

14. Ingenieur

We use the IBC
    most do
    Description
    The International Building Code is a model building code developed by the International Code Council. It has been adopted for use as a base code standard by most jurisdictions in the United States.

some use this, but mostly supplanted
    The Uniform Building Code (UBC) was a building code used primarily in the western United States.

15. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Hi. Seeing as you're being so generous with your advice, I figured I'd ask a question that I've had for a while.

Assuming the floor below in this case is a basement floor of poured concrete, is it possible to make any general observations about what kind of load that could support before cracking?

I'm just curious, I've always wondered how sturdy basement concrete slabs may be.

16. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

My intent is not to derail this thread but what’s your point? I think that most people confuse particleboard, Aspenite(brand name), waferboard, OSB and AdvanTech as being the same product and sometimes include plywood. Subfloor and underlayment are also misunderstood.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  17. Ingenieur

You said NBC, not aware of that Code
    Clarification
    That's all

18. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

It's too bad ikea doesn't make cantilevered cubes. Your wall joists will hold any weight of shelved records.

I have 8 very heavy when empty flipper door units hanging on one wall.
    They are five feet long and are placed four over four right net to each other. They are loaded with albums.
    That's an awful lot of weight hanging on one wall, but 12 years later and nothing has come down.

Here's a pic of just one of the five footers hanging on a floor panel system.

[​IMG]

All 8 are hanging on wall track in my office now.

19. Ingenieur

Very sturdy downward
    Hard to say exactly: age, fc (psi of concrete), any reinforcement, thickness, sub base
    But it should be good for at least 500 psf if 4" thick, no steel, 2000 psi fc
    Any loading puts it under compression which concrete excels at.

using op's scenario
    If you put jacks on it, say 8"x8" baseplate x 4 ~1.8 sq ft
    If you jack each 1/4" after contact and assume 1/3 of the load (this can be calculated by the torque required to raise the jack, not germane for our discussion) you have 670/1.8 ~ 370 psf
    That imo is not an issue.

keep this in mind
    Dry undisturbed clay like soil is good for 2000 psf 14 psi) that is why a tire filled to say 32 psi barely indents it

Phil Thien likes this.
  20. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

Being such a know it all on the subject I made up an acronym for InterNational Building Code without thinking. Thanks for correcting me. I should have said local building code in my region.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.