"Weird Al" Yankovic Complete Works box set*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brownd, Jun 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

I wish we knew what their plan was going forward. I already own all of his albums but I really like the fact that the later albums have received better masterings in this set. I also don't want to miss out on the rarities disc that's currently unique to the box. I placed my order; $200 isn't bad at all when comparing the price to my pre-order of the Paul McCartney Flowers In The Dirt deluxe set!

Brownd, Juggsnelson and RAJ717 like this.
  2. EricTheDerek

EricTheDerek Member

I wish there was a digital download included with the vinyl set. (Especially the Hi-Res.) I went ahead bit the bullet and ordered the CD set. Hopefully the dynamic range is comparable to the HDTracks downloads. If not, I will be sending out some angry emails/most certainly wasting my time.

3. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

We've seen enough HDTracks downloads that were hot, buttered garbage that I'm left to assume that the CDs will at least be sympathetically mastered. I'm looking forward to laying ears on my copy in November!

4. It's not the 2014 mastering. I've uploaded the dynamic range information from the new remasters to the Dynamic Range Database. Here's the comparison:

2014 Release of Mandatory Fun
    Code:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Analyzed folder: /Users/Grant/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Weird Al Yankovic/Mandatory Fun
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     DR        Peak        RMS        Filename

DR7        -0.10 dB     -8.89 dB     01 Handy.m4a
     DR8        -0.10 dB     -9.05 dB     02 Lame Claim to Fame.m4a
     DR6        -0.10 dB     -7.53 dB     03 Foil.m4a
     DR6        -0.10 dB     -7.27 dB     04 Sports Song.m4a
     DR7        -0.10 dB     -7.92 dB     05 Word Crimes.m4a
     DR6        -0.10 dB     -7.15 dB     06 My Own Eyes.m4a
     DR6        -0.10 dB     -6.97 dB     07 Now That's What I Call Polka!.m4a
     DR6        -0.10 dB     -7.57 dB     08 Mission Statement.m4a
     DR4        -0.18 dB     -5.64 dB     09 Inactive.m4a
     DR6        -0.10 dB     -6.52 dB     10 First World Problems.m4a
     DR6        -0.10 dB     -7.54 dB     11 Tacky.m4a
     DR6        -0.10 dB     -9.64 dB     12 Jackson Park Express.m4a

Number of files:    12
     Official DR value:    DR6

==============================================================================================

2017 Remaster of Mandatory Fun
    Code:
     Analyzed: Mandatory Fun /  Artist: "Weird Al" Yankovic
    DR    Peak    RMS    Duration    Title [codec]  
     DR10     -1.52 dB     -13.83 dB    2:56    01 - Handy      [flac]  
     DR11     -1.59 dB     -14.26 dB    3:45    02 - Lame Claim to Fame      [flac]  
     DR9     -1.66 dB     -13.42 dB    2:22    03 - Foil      [flac]  
     DR8     -2.72 dB     -12.27 dB    2:14    04 - Sports Song      [flac]  
     DR12     -1.28 dB     -14.54 dB    3:43    05 - Word Crimes      [flac]  
     DR9     -1.62 dB     -12.79 dB    3:39    06 - My Own Eyes      [flac]  
     DR9     -1.69 dB     -12.22 dB    4:04    07 - NOW That's What I Call Polka!      [flac]  
     DR9     -1.46 dB     -12.69 dB    4:28    08 - Mission Statement      [flac]  
     DR7     -2.05 dB     -11.14 dB    2:56    09 - Inactive      [flac]  
     DR9     -1.64 dB     -11.48 dB    3:12    10 - First World Problems      [flac]  
     DR10     -1.42 dB     -13.41 dB    2:53    11 - Tacky      [flac]  
     DR9     -1.62 dB     -15.04 dB    9:05    12 - Jackson Park Express      [flac]  
     Number of files:    12
     Official DR value:  DR9

Sampling rate:          44100 Hz
     Average bitrate:          1683kbs
     Bits per sample:          32 bit

Dr14 T.meter 1.0.16
    ==============================================================================================  

5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Any chance Amazon will carry this?

6. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

The PledgeMusic page makes it sound like that's the only place the box set will be available. I ordered the vinyl edition as I already have the digital files from HDTracks. I'll just have to needledrop the rarities disc.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  7. The Hud

Bummer, I cannot afford to put $200 on my credit card right now, and PledgeMusic says credit cards are charged immediately. :(

John Bliss likes this.
  8. imthewalrus79

imthewalrus79 Forum Resident

Seems like something we could question Al or Bermuda on. Given that I just read that Al has been redoing his whole musical library as FLAC files because they're better sound quality than an MP3, I think he'd be interested to know that the new remaster of "Dare to Be Stupid" is the one bad album of the bunch.

RAJ717 and JediJoker like this.
  9. Brownd

Brownd Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is GREAT news! Could you please tell me if "Inactive" has proper quality and doesn't sound like an ancient 3GP anymore?

EDIT: checked the HDtracks previews, Inactive still has low quality vocals... Well, at least it's not crushed anymore!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  10. The Hud

Happy to report that my mom ordered me the CD set for an early birthday present. :)

Runicen and Brownd like this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

May I be the first to say...

:)

12. The Hud

Thankyou very much! :)

13. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Well, i just caved and ordered the LP set. Looks impressive. Hopefully there's no major issues with the final product come November. Fingers crossed! :)

14. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I ordered the Platinum CD version, I couldn't resist the Weird Al socks.

theshape likes this.
  15. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Slightly disappointed with the Medium Rarities track list. Yes, it picks up a lot of the non-album material from the 1990s but it's too heavy on his most recent stuff and ignores a lot from the past.

Glad to see that "Take Me Down" is being included, but where's "School Cafeteria" (b-side to the "My Bologna" Capitol single), the original versions of "Happy Birthday," "Gotta Boogie," and "Mr. Frump" from the Placebo EP, and "Patterns" from the Square One TV show? I would have also liked to see "It's Still Billy Joel To Me" but I understand if they couldn't get the approval.

John Bliss, RAJ717 and Brownd like this.
  16. The Hud

Same here. I am glad that Spy Hard made the cut, though. I foolishly did not buy the Gump CD single for some reason.

I was hoping for Polkamon as well, but I am not surprised that didn't make it.

John Bliss likes this.
  17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That sounds really disappointing and I agree that those tracks should have been included. Can you tell me what the complete track list is (and a little information about the songs like what eras they're from if you have it)? Thanks!

EDIT- Ah, I found this video. :)

John Bliss, npgchris and The Hud like this.
  18. Brownd

Brownd Forum Resident Thread Starter

They did get "Take Me Down"! Bravo!
    I don't think they should've added those instrumental versions, I guess it's due to completion due to them being Bad Hair Day B-sides, but there may've been more space for other tracks... Or perhaps they couldn't secure others so they went with those instead?

Glad the Wander, MLP and Milo songs are also included! I think the former hadn't been officially released yet

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I could do with more actual album session rarities / demos and less "Stuff Al recorded for webisodes".

20. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Some notable omissions from the 'Medium Rarities' track list:

"SLO Grown" - the track he contributed to the 1978 San Luis Obispo sampler album
    "Patterns" - from some kids' show in the 90s.
    "Polka-mon" - the Pokemon movie soundtrack
    "I Need A Nap" - duet with Kate Winslet
    "Al-TV Theme" - from when he'd take over MTV.
    "You're Pitiful" - ok, so this would get him in trouble, but maybe as a "hidden" track? ;-)
    "Electric Shaver" - from 'The Weird Al Show' (I think)
    "It's Still Billy Joel To Me" - home demo from The Dr. Demento Show (I think)
    "Hardware Store" (acapella mix)
    "I Lost On Jeopardy" (extended mix)
    "Spy Hard" (closing credits version) - from the movie soundtrack

Brownd likes this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, there's certainly enough material for a Volume 2 at some point down the line at least...

RAJ717 likes this.
  22. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

SLO Grown was the name of the album. Al's song was called "Take Me Down," and it's on the new compilation.

23. The Hud

Is there a soundtrack for Spy Hard?

I cannot find it on Amazon or Discogs.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No. It's from the "soundtrack to the movie" but there's no album soundtrack release (if that makes sense). :)

MikaelaArsenault, The Hud and RAJ717 like this.
  25. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I grabbed the audio from the end of the DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.