Weird noise on my vinyl records - don't know what else to do.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mnb1979, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

What was the concentration of isopropyl alcohol to water? I've used isop to clean records many times and there was no damage afterwards. I don't think you damaged them unless, perhaps you used 100% isop and let it sit on the record for a very long time. Distilled water alone won't really work.

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

There might be a few reasons as to why you shouldnt use alcohol but the one Im familiar with is that it dries up the record. Records are malleable and flexible. This is due to an oil like property within the vinyl. By using high concentrations of alcohol you might remove these flexibilitet agents, making the record brittle and in turn making them more prone to damages, especially down the line.

There are other solutions that dont involve alcohol such as enzyme based fluids but these can get a little expensive too. I myself use whats called Lart Du Son which costs about 40$ per bottle but cleans around 500 records in total.

3. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

To the OP - please don't think I'm trying to be a jerk, but if you didn't notice how badly off centre your stylus was, I'm worried about your ability to accurately setup and align the cartridge within the headshell in the first place. Do you wear glasses? Maybe you need them!

Additionally, if you damaged the tonearm wires when simply removing a removable stylus, I worry about your manual dexterity when working on small objects. Maybe its a good idea to let your dealer install and set up your turntable.

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Lets be reasonable, hes a beginner and does not know what to look out for. In his mind, bending cantilevers might not have even have been a possibility. I see what you are saying though, this is a hobby with a lot of things that can go wrong if you are not careful.

superstar19 and mnb1979 like this.
  5. mnb1979

mnb1979 New Member Thread Starter

I don't think you are a jerk. I am just a beginner, and I learn from my mistakes. I consider that one of the best ways to learn, although it has their consequences. Next time I will be more careful and will do my best to avoid them and to learn from my past experience. I do wear glasses, but I didn't even knew that a needle could get off-centered, let alone avoiding it. I used to clean it with a brush in an horizontal way, and now I know that it's a no-no. Next time I will do it vertically and very gently. The tonearm weight and antiskate are well set up. The wires got broken because I didn't manipulate the shell properly. Next time I will be more careful, although I feel more comfortable playing it safe, meaning that letting the guy at the record shop will release me from the hassle I've been thru. We all start from zero and we all commit mistakes. And as for me, I have learned a lot from all this, and specially from this thread, that not only made me learn a lot about TT's, vinyls, settings and tricks, but also that there is a lot of great people out there who is always willing to help expecting nothing in return. Now *that* is priceless, the sweetest candy in the bag. Thanks again to everyone!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Leonthepro likes this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have found this problem with a couple AT95 styli that were sitting for a long period without use. My guess is the cantilever mounting rubber deteriorates on some samples. Can happen quite suddenly. Suggest go for the next model up which used to be AT100E. Go to 'Vinylengine' for advice on how to align a cartridge. You can also print off alignment protractors there.

Leonthepro likes this.
  7. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Maybe you discussed, but is the regular part of the album noisy?

8. mnb1979

I don't think so but there aren't any quiet parts in order to compare. Most of the other songs sound good for me.

9. Severin22

Severin22 Well-Known Member

Suprised to see some of the comments on here about isopropyl alcohol. Ive had the opposite results. I make my own solution with distilled water, 3 parts water, 1 part alcohol. Then rinse with distilled water. I've made many dirty old records sound dead quiet. Even the scratches quiet down a bit.

arisinwind likes this.
  10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Yes the degree to which that stylus and cantilever was bent to the side would cause BIG problems. You have to be very careful and use a proper brush as gently as possible. If you can't do that there are gels that the stylus can be lowered on to grab the dust. Sadly you have damaged the records you played with that stylus to greater or lesser degree.

patient_ot and mnb1979 like this.
  11. mnb1979

Finally, a friend of mine has played the record on his TT and the vinyl itself is indeed defective. I think that it was a bad pressing. I don't think that having cleaned it the way I have explained or a twisted stylus can damage the sound *that* bad.

arisinwind likes this.
  12. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

A bent cantilever/stylus will indeed cause distortion and damage the records over time. Not having heard this record I don't doubt the noise and distortion was over and above anything that the bent stylus would produce. But bent cantilevers do need to be replaced as they will cause damage incrementally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.