Weird problem with eBay auction

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by audiodrome, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

I just checked on an item that I bid on a few days ago because I wanted to see exactly when it was ending. I hadn't received any new e-mails and the last I knew, I was the highest bidder, but this is where it gets strange. I actually started out searching to see if there were any more copies of the CD that I am currently bidding on (in case I don't win), and when I came across my particular item, I was surprised to see that I wasn't the highest bidder. There were two bids and I wasn't even one of them! However, when I logged in to check my status, it said that I was the highest bidder and the "other" highest bidder was listed second with the third party not listed at all.

I closed my browser and checked it again. Sure enough, this other guy was listed as the highest bidder, but as soon as I logged in again, I became the highest bidder. It seems that as long as I'm logged in, I'm the highest bidder, but if I'm logged out, I'm not. What the hell is going on here? Does this have anything to do with their new username policy or something? I e-mailed both the seller and eBay to try and figure out what's going on. It won't be the end of the world if I don't win, but I'd rather solve this problem now than with five minutes left in the auction.

2. Wow! All I can say is... WTF Ebay?!

-s1m0n-

3. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

First time I have heard of that. What happened in the end?

4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

All bidders are now anonymous; eBay masks the names of all bidders with 3 asterisks in the middle and a number or letter at the start and end of each name (5 characters total) so others can't contact them - is that what you're seeing? I believe the buyer's rating remains the same.

I used to warn people if they were bidding on counterfeit albums, but now I can't. :sigh:

5. audiodrome

The problem is, when I try to view this item without logging in, I DON'T see my user ID at all, even with the asterisks. That's why I was concerned. When I'm not logged in, the bidding history shows two bidders: r**u and u**b, and it doesn't show me at all. When I log in, it shows two biddders: myself and u**b. So, who is this r**u person and why does he show up as a bidder when I'm not logged in and then disappear when I am logged in? Weird, huh? :confused:

Both the seller and eBay confirm that I am currently the highest bidder, but it still is a mystery as to what's going on here. Hopefully, all will turn out OK later tonight.

6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I believe the characters on the masked user names are random and am pretty certain that you are the mysterious "r**u". :wave: When you log in, it shows your actual eBay name (on your computer only).

Let's say, for instance, your eBay name was Hoffman9 and you were well-known to bid on certain items; whenever anyone saw H**9 on an auction they would pretty much know you were one of the bidders. By using random characters, it's pretty much impossible to guess who's bidding (unless one makes a guess by the feedback rating number), which keeps the bidders private. Check the user rating, is it the same number as yours?

7. audiodrome

I see - thanks for clearing that up!

8. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

9. audiodrome

10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

Here's an explanation in eBay's words:

11. audiodrome

After all that, I got sniped! I'm not really complaining because my initial bid was the highest amount I was willing to pay. I realize that sniping is a way of life on eBay these days but it definitley takes the fun completely out of it for me. All along, you think that you're going to win and then, in the last few seconds... :realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.