Welcome Legendary Rec. Engineer Mike Ross (Hendrix, PG's Fleetwood Mac, the Who, etc)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by prof. stoned, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

That's sooooo COOL!
    (that the sound is similar & your reply)
    Enjoy!

No reply requestED nor requirED.

2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Glad to have you on board...

3. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

One of my all time faves! (don't forget to mention...Keith West) :)

Welcome mike!

4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I collect classical vinyl,and though I was aware of some of your pop work,I mostly have
    seen your name on classical albums.I believe your name was sometimes paired with an
    engineer associated with the label (EMI for example.) How did those sessions work?
    And what is the rule as far as "Ross" or "Ross-Trevor"?

5. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Mike, any idea how this would have been effected? You mentioned you didn't have a half inch head block for the J37, but apparently 1/2" to 1" dubs were made for Pink Floyd.

7. mikrt17

I seem to remember that our first J37 had a 1" head block and then we bought a second J37 and I'm now thinking that maybe that had a half inch head block it would certainly make sense to do that and the more I think about it I think that is correct. I do remember that we took on dubbing jobs that were done in down time and they had to be made in the control room using the two J37'S

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Great, thanks Mike.

9. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Greetings Mike from the state of Delaware :)

Welcome to the forum.

10. Mike, thank you for all of your informative posts! My question might seem a bit silly as it's not directly music-studio related, but I'm just wondering what was it like being in the heart of 'swinging London' working in the music industry in the 1960's/70's? This has always been both a fascinating location and era for me with so much creativity - in music, television, film, art, fashion - with much of it focused in the relatively small area of Soho. Any interesting stories from outside of the studio but as part of the 'scene'?

11. mikrt17

To be honest I was so busy recording during this period that I didn't get much time to get out much, my view of that period was from the inside of a recording studio but I did meet many people associated with that era and we were really driving the swinging sixties rather than enjoying it but we had a lot of fun in the studios and in those days recording was not routine like it is today every session was an adventure and a voyage of discovery and we were always pushing the boundaries and we were completely fearless. Music was changing fast and we had to adapt to all the new styles and a lot of pressure was put on engineers to come up with great new sounds but it was very exciting and challenging and to be honest we didn't think for one minute that we were creating music history.

12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

13. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Happy to have you here. I hope you enjoy the company.

14. mikrt17

15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

16. mikrt17

17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Mike,thanks for answering my questions.At least once a year I play Fleetwood Mac's
    "Black Magic Woman" for my wife & remind her "That's the original !" Love the sound,
    especially the guitar & drums.

18. mikrt17

I remember the session very well it was a Sunday and we just recorded that one song and it was all recorded and mixed the same day and we were all home for dinner it was a very smooth day and everybody knew what to do and the band were on top form and Peter sang live, it's one of the good ones and as you say 'the original' and it was covered often.

The deer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.