Welcome to Marwen - upcoming Robert Zemeckis film with Steve Carrell

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I'm aware. Produced by him. He still (rightly) received the blame for it, as it used his motion capture techniques.

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Yes, it was. An error on my part. I just put down the wrong date. It cam out in 11 of 04.

dewey02 likes this.
  3. jables

jables Forum Resident

I saw the documentary over the weekend. I highly recommend it. It sounds like the movie makes more sense if you had seen the documentary first. Of course if the film was well done you wouldn't have to see the documentary first. Mark Hogancamp created his little town, populated it with GI Joes and Barbies, made up his own stories and then photographed his stories. It appears that the movie tries to bring his stories to life but not very successfully.

unclefred likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Gross. Don't forget this is the guy who did the Back to the Future movies, Forrest Gump, Cast Away, Polar Express, Roger Rabbit, What Lies Beneath... all those movies were extremely successful. Even Flight did reasonably well on a relatively-modest budget. A studio will listen to ideas from a guy who's had that many past successes. But it would seem that (at age 66) his successes are becoming fewer as time goes on. I think his obsession with performance-capture animated movies (like Mars Needs Mom, Beowful, and many others), sometimes at the expense of story, has not helped his career.

budwhite, dewey02 and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

From the trailer I had zero desire to see this film, but, after coming across this thread I had to see it. My record for seeing movies that are getting hammered by the critics is way on the positive side, which this film falls. I enjoyed it. Oh and believe me it is definitely a target rich environment if you want to pick it apart and shred it. It bares itself, which invites the scoffers. The film did make me uncomfortable in places, but that's a plus in my book for a film, I want to be moved in some way, be it in a positive or a negative way, and this had both.

Between Vice and this film I have a renewed appreciation for Steve Carell's work, the guy can bring it. Casting was superb. Leslie Mann was perfect imo.

If you go to the movies for escape and to be entertained, this film did it for me … I will be taking my wife to see it this weekend … and she's pretty movied out after seeing The Mule, Mary Poppins Returns, Bumblebee, and Vice.

Vidiot, GodShifter and agentalbert like this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Leslie Mann was great, and so was Merritt Weaver. I liked didn't love the movie. I don't get why critics savaged it, though. I can only think of one scene that was uncomfortable, but its nothing you haven't seen 100 times before. On a technical level, the scenes in Marwen and all of Carrell's interactions with the dolls were fantastic.

Maybe it says something about me, but I didn't find this nearly as weird or out there as prior comments/review snippets would lead one to believe. Is a fantasy world that a trauma victim imagines really that inconceivable to some people?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Chris DeVoe and Mainline461 like this.
  7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I was thinking a film like this has to land perfectly to work.....sounds like it not only missed the runway but slammed into a mountain , I love early zemekis but honestly not too interested in the live action stuff, I might have to check this out regardless

8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Watched it last night and enjoyed it very much but it is definitely not for everyone. It is beyond dark and VERY weird and it's fascinating that anyone thought that a movie about a guy who gets beat up for wearing women's shoes and seeks solace in playing with dolls was somehow going to be a Christmas holiday tentpole movie.

This thing has cult film written all over it and I think it will be rediscovered and reassessed at some point, but it's never going to have mainstream appeal. It's just too weird.

And not to spoilerize, but I love love love the fact that the 'Time Machine' had a Flux Capacitor prominently visible!

Mainline461 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.