Well Recorded/Mastered SACD vs Well Recorded/Mastered CD of the Same Title

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I haven't had enough experience with SACD software to form an opinion as far as just how much of an improvement to expect from SACD vs CD of the same title presuming they are both recorded and mastered to todays SOTA. Of what I have listened to so far (not enough by far) on well recorded stuff, the SACD wins hands down. I haven't had a chance to listen to a 'native DSD recording in SACD and presume that that would be the highest level of SACD reproduction. One I would like to compare even though it is an older recording would be "Jazz At The Pawnshop" a title I hope to get soon.
    What do you consider to be State Of The Art SACD discs? We tend to re-buy our favourite older titles and, while we hope to gain improvement 'cause they are in the new format they still probably couldn't match a new recording in a HI-Rez format although that Stan Getz stuff recorded way back in the 60's still sounds more musical than a lot of the recording done today.

BTW anybody know the condition of the master of "Jazz Samba Encore"? I ask that because they seem to be avoiding upgrading of that title. But then that's only natural because I want it.

2. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I was wondering if anyone has heard a CDs PCM output converted to DSD via device such as those made by DCS ? Would the current raft of SACD discs be superior to a "converted" CD - An awful lot of recent music has a Pro-Tools or equivalent device in the recording path even those that end up as SACD - so are we really yet seeing the full benefit of SACD or is it an improvement brung on by an improved filter mechanism as we move away from the CD "brickwall"

All the best - Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.