Well that's it, it's over! No more buying LPs.*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by richierichie, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Your point is well taken. Records are like personal possession in general. The drip, drip, drip of acquisitions will finally pile up on you in the end. I think we all grapple with this problem to a certain degree. I am constantly looking through my collection to see what I can part with. Unfortunately, my collection is so fine tuned now that I don't have much to cut without feeling that I am getting rid of something I really like. On the positive side, there is nothing at the moment that I am craving for.

The Pinhead, lightbulb and DRM like this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Would love something like this. I have something like 3500 albums ( too many) but want to look at the covers like this rather than spines. An impossibility!

Cyclone Ranger and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

A shoebox?. Luxury!!.

SandAndGlass and richierichie like this.
  4. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Buy a tent to sleep in and convert your bedroom into another LP collection room.

SandAndGlass and Summerisle like this.
  5. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

That's a great point... another reason why that vinyl cabinet is so good is that you get to see that wonderful 12" artwork displayed. :thumbsup:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is definitely where I'm heading.

SandAndGlass and richbdd01 like this.
  7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I have around 5-600 LPs at the moment. I plan to collect around 1,200 max and will 'refine' what I have when I get to this point. This will involve picking up the definitive pressing regardless of price...well, up to a point. It will also involve looking at things I don't play so much etc.

Even though I haven't yet reached my limit, I still weed out the duds occasionally so I can reinvest in better stuff.

8. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

The worst? Really?? :D

lightbulb likes this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I say Rip all your CDs, get rid of them, and make room for more LPs! :targettiphat:

10. Cyclone Ranger

Dude's obviously never seen what a 4chan thread looks like. :faint:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

As long as you can afford them and have space, which you can always find, then why have a limit, I've probably said this before, but these threads usually have posts from people with two or three hundred records saying how it's such a large collection and a burden, I mean how can you love music and only want to listen to two, three or five hundred albums, I probably have more than that many by single artists, there's so much wonderful music out there to discover and enjoy. I recently started sorting out my African LPs, I have close to 1,000, to many people that's a huge number, but there are 54 countries in Africa and I don't even have music from each one, I'm not an expert on the many types of African music, but even with my limited knowledge I look at my collection and see huge gaps, there are so many African albums I'd love to hear. I'm always discovering new music and as long as they are still being made and I'm physically able I'd like to be buying new records until the day I die which hopefully will be a very, very long time away as I do have quite a large listening backlog.

12. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

I'm just trying to keep it under 5000. I might have failed now that I look around.

13. Cyclone Ranger

Even anime characters get upset once their LP count hits a certain level...

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I reached a limit of about five or six hundred.Don't have the space and to be quite frank I just don't want anymore.It will take me years to listen to what I have.

SandAndGlass and The Pinhead like this.
  15. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Yet another problem solved by streaming.

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

A lot of people here are on about quality vs. quantity, but what if a collector happens to like a LOT of music, and see all that music as quality?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  17. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Once you get into the thousands, as far as records go, I find culling to be a fact of life. Although at this point nothing comes home that isn't VG+ or better, I still find some that can go bye bye if I dig deep enough. Keep buying, you know you will, just go through what you have and only keep what you really want to have. It really does never end.

18. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

From the numerous posts from those that extol the necessities and pleasures of "weeding out the herd, thinning out the flock, paring down the fruit, etc"...

Let the rest of us, your brethren, pick up your heavy and enormous burden...

Please let us know when you'll post your discards in the Classifieds, here.

Thanks for sharing the pain, and joy!!!
    ;):p:cool::biglaugh:

19. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Well-Known Member

my record cabinet holds 1500. vinyl storage I have another 1000 stashed under the stairs in boxes.

bever70 and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Then it's OK, but I suspect that's rarely the case. Music titles in the thousands ?! Not for me !

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, i'm one of those people who happen to like very wide-ranging types of music from the last 60 years.

22. :drool:

lightbulb and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  23. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

Rip the cd, the first thing to do,

Ps dbpoweramp use secure rip:D

24. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

Or if one is willing to invest in a few tools (mainly a table saw) along with the wood, varnish, screws, drawer slides/rollers, and other small details, you could build something like that for under $1,000.

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  25. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Now That sounds like a generous offer to help, and provide unsolicited services, to remedy the OP’s dilemma!

How kind!
    ;) :laugh: :winkgrin:

Don Parkhurst likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.