Well that's it, it's over! No more buying LPs.*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by richierichie, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I’m hearing this advice, as:

“I say Rip all the walls down, get rid of them, exposing the main foundations of your house, and make room for more LPs and CDs! “
    :targettiphat:

Fishoutofwater and Bingo Bongo like this.
  2. Night Rider

Night Rider Well-Known Member

There is a fella in his mid-sixties who lives two doors down from me, and he has approximately 25,000 vinyl records. All stored in a modest 2 bedroom maisonette on one level. However he did tell me he had had special shelving made. Many of them are 78's. He is very eclectic in his tastes; Northern Soul, Rock, Pop, Metal, Classical and Jazz, with a good dose of the 1970's in the mix too.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

every collectors fear...running out of room...the irony with the money spent on thousands upon thousand of records one could have bought a bigger house! LOL

Fishoutofwater and lightbulb like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I had over 10,000 at one time...it was a drag finding room for them. I was relived when I got into CD and released the albums...never looked back ...6,000 CD takes up so much less space and resolved the LP room hassle totally.

5. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

I myself have a huge collection of about 100 LPs. Not 100K but one hundred.
    This is good because I live real close to a neighborhood that is known for hipsters.
    People talk about tearing down parts of their house to use for Lp storage but it would not be real secure. Can you imagine if the local hipsters found out and one day you come home and the only LPs left are those crappy Jim Nabors or Percy Faith ones?

There IS another possibility - maybe the OP is no longer buying LPs but is going to rip them off? Like go the klepto route?

Stop it! You are making me blush.
    Yeah, i am getting ready, as we speak, to drive to the OP's home to build an LP storage case like that one pictured.

beppe likes this.
  6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I'm with you on that. All of my original anything has been gone or missing for years, so everything that I possess as present has been garnered in recent years, so my collection is relatively small, just a few hundred records.

Right now, most of them are on two book shelves, spine out. I have a real dislike for that.

A future project will be some sort of shelving system where I can flip through the records while looking at the front covers.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  7. Guth

Guth Music Lover

Yes, a real outrage. I prescribe listening to at least three albums in their entirety. That should help you to get through such a horrendous ordeal.

8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Yeah I feel the OP's pain. I mitigated the problem by buying more 45s haha.

9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

My comment doesn’t even make sense anymore since a moderator edited the title. You don’t know the pain I endured before that edit was made.

10. kellys

kellys Forum Resident

Have to say. That is very cool. Even though I sometimes think of switching over to a minimalist lifestyle.

11. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

bump'd, 'cuz I just like this thread... :agree:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

You are focusing on the wrong thing.

Now is a perfect time to start your journey into woodworking and joinery.

13. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and Jrr like this.
  14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

On the one hand, I understand the collecting bug but on the other, if both sides of an LP take, say, 40 minutes to play and you have a 1000 LPs, you would have to listen, nonstop, 24/7 for almost 28 days to play each one once through. I've got about 500 records and listen maybe two hours a day. It would take me nearly a half a year to play through all of them at that rate.

Now, consider the serious collector with thousands of records, CDs, tapes, etc. Whew!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I sell multi game systems with 11,000 games. People ask why in the world they would need that many. You don’t, just like you don’t need thousands of albums. But one would be focused on the wrong thing if you look at it that way. It’s about the odds of having the game, or song, you want to enjoy when you want to. The more you have, the better the odds.

16. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

That's why God invented Spotify, etc. ;)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. ghostofzuul

ghostofzuul Harvester of Sorrow

as a bachelor... at some point i started to notice the look on women's faces the first time they visited the bachelor pad and saw all the records and books... it was kind of like the look people have when they encounter a bonafide hoarder for the first time.... despite my meticulous organization...

between that and almost 40 years of the rituals involved in record and turntable maintenance i decided to go all digital and i haven't looked back...

still single. but that's another story for another forum.

bever70 and JimmyCool like this.
  18. Wes Moynihan

Wes Moynihan Red hot funkster

Running out of storage space is always a problem especially when you want your home to reflect your passions - and most of us would love to have our collections displayed in all their regal glory - this is one of the things in life that defines us. And I always enjoy going into a stranger's home and finding a well-stocked music or book collection - it feels reassuring...

I am currently running out of space for my CDs and there's the added problem of having a house that gets its fare share of sunshine in every room throughout the day. Not good if your wife doesn't want to live like a vampire !

[​IMG]

19. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Don't forget the storage locker :)

20. Wes Moynihan

Wes Moynihan Red hot funkster

This thread reminds me of a recent Tom Waits documentary I caught on BBC4, which at one point showed Tom's digs at the Tropicana in the late 70's.... This pic doesn't quite do justice to the sheer mount of flotsam and jetsam that was lapping around Tom's piano, but it was bad...

[​IMG]

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I still have 500 LPs.... most rare first RCA, Decca, EMI pressings, all DCC LPs, a few MFSL's. I'm so happy.... I stopped buying LPs a decade ago. No longer clicks, pops, noise, bad pressings and insane prices.

JimmyCool likes this.
  22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is why I’m becoming more discerning in my record collection.

23. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

My collection was also getting too large for my home. I therefore bought a bigger home.

24. I flip all my albums. I doubt if my eyes would make spines easy to read!!! Flipping also makes me feel like i am in a record store.

SandAndGlass and csgreene like this.
  25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Funny you mention flipping vs. spine out shelving. I have some wall unit shelving with storage for records in the base. In my 40's that was fine. Now, in my late 60's, not so much. I recently bought a couple of 50 album, bamboo flip stands and moved 100 records to them (they sit on top a small cabinet in the family room). I love it! However, I've got at least 300 more records that I would like to display similarly but would have to get more table tops to stick them on. My wife thinks I should simply rotate the 100 records and call it good. Wives don't understand us, do they? ;)

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.