Well that's it, it's over! No more buying LPs.*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by richierichie, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

Send your LPs to me and I'll store them for you.
    123 Dontbelieveit drive
    Infinite, NJ USA

2. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Interesting... What do these look like? You have a link?

Jrr likes this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

True enough. Except it doesn’t sound quite as good as my high end vinyl rig! Great for casual listening though.

4. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

BayouTiger and Spin Doctor like this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Nice! I have at least 1500 albums, probably more like 2000. Very expensive solution but I sure enjoy flipping through them far more than spines. Just don’t have the room either for the flipping format. Looks like you could only, maybe, put two in a row and still be able to flip.

6. Spin Doctor

Very cool. So you drove the price up eh?:wantsome: Just kidding lol. Thanks for the info.

This is something I could use when staging records to play. Or temp storage, since right now I just prop them up against a wall. I ordered one even at the higher price since the comparable items were just as expensive and don't look as good.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  7. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

You could buy a bigger house?

8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Yeah, they are not a great solution for a larger collection unless you could mount a bunch of the side by side on a sturdy shelf or some long narrow tables. Good solution for those with a small collection.

Jrr likes this.
  9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

When we moved, a finished basement did the trick. 825 square feet dedicated to the collection. Totally out of sight & out of all the living spaces. Best of both worlds; everybody's happy.

10. lazydawg58

People keep asking me what I plan on doing when I retire in two months

andybeau, Subagent and csgreene like this.
  11. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

That's where all our main stuff is - a finished basement. We have a family room where all the media is stored (records, CDs, tapes, DVDs, VHS) and the main HT system. If we ever flood, we're screwed. So far, in the 24 years we've been in the house, never an issue and it never flooded in the 10 years before we bought it. Living in the high desert offers that advantage so long as a pipe doesn't break when we aren't home (but we turn the water off when gone for more than a night).

lazydawg58 and audiomixer like this.
  12. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

There's stuff like the Killscrow cabinet I mentioned in post #18:

Well that's it, it's over! No more buying LPs.*

Solves most all problems. But is very expensive, sadly. :(

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  13. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I also have limited LP storage space. So I go through my collection and purge the titles that get little or no play. It's tough to do - really - and I've sold some things that I wish I never had, but it's the only way at my current house.

14. lazydawg58

I sweated through hurricanes Florence and Matthew, thankfully our 70 years old foundation drainage system held up to the deluge.

timind likes this.
  15. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Those Killscrow cabinets are brilliant but the largest only holds a max of 840 LPs so that's pretty expensive per LP cost for storage. However, I sure like the concept.

16. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Spin Doctor likes this.
  17. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Or one could easily make this himself ;).

Spin Doctor likes this.
  18. Spin Doctor

Not if you know nothing about woodworking and you have to buy a bunch of tools and crap.

csgreene and Roycer like this.
  19. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

No need to.

The OP may have abandoned this thread long ago, but I see he's still posting about buying records.

kellys and punkmusick like this.
  20. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

You don't have to! Design the thing on paper with all the exact dimensions, go to any hardware store (or cabinet shop) to buy the wood you need. They will saw the pieces according to your dimensions for next to nothing. All you need to buy is some wood glue, a drill (any man should own a drill!), and some wood dowels. That's it. I make most of my own cabinets like this, you don't even need screws and stuff. It just takes some preparation work.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  21. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I did the same.

22. Spin Doctor

Hmmm. Interesting...

23. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

I'm planning on fixing the storage problem once and for all by doing a complete redesign to a house we own (which we presently rent out). That project is maybe 3-4 years away but we'll be picking up another 1200 square feet of living space compared to our present house.

That ought to be enough. :D:D:D:D

24. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I put all mine in the thin jewel cases ad gave the big cases to Goodwill years ago. Now I'm considering how best to donate many of them to another thrift, I have the paper that goes with them, but not sure how to keep them together when I pull them.

25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I don't have a storage problem, I have a display problem. As I now need reading glasses, I don't like having these things shelved. I can read albums and CDs stored in a flip unit but for CDs, that's not nearly as effective as the flip rack I posted earlier. I can do rotation but it would be nice to have a mini record store set-up downstairs. I think I might look into a storage solution like that one I posted earlier that can hold up to 560 records. That exceeds what I have and I am not actively shopping for any more LPs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.