Well that's it, it's over! No more buying LPs.*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by richierichie, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Neither :D. The speakers I use are a hybrid magnetostatic system. The middle speaker/box houses 4 classic conus speakers (covering bass and lower mids), the sides are very thin magnetostatic membranes (covering higher mids and highs).
    Better seen in this photo :

[​IMG]

@Wes Moynihan Thanks! I try my best.

ronm, Sterling1, Archguy and 2 others like this.
  2. bever70

Larger point taken! But unless people try, they will never know. As the flipping cabinet off ebay that was shown here is a very easy design, it's a good place to start for anyone, especially since it doesn't require a lot of tools (except the basic tools every man should own). If it doesn't work out, ok, no huge losses. It wil take some time if this is your first, but if you like it....your 2nd built will be a lot quicker (and better).
    Looking back, my first attempts were also....well first attempts :D. But I ended up with designing and building our own kitchen in our previous house, which is still enjoyed by it's new owners after 15years.

The finishing lacquer is done with a paint roller (a normal paintbrush would yield very ugly results). 2 coats of paint lacquer followed by 2 coats of satin varnish, each one sanded down.
    In hindsight I could have easily done without the 2 screws (as I also used dowels in that place). They are above and under the vertical dividing shelf in the middle, connecting the first layer of mdf on top and bottom to this vertical shelf. This layer is then covered by a second layer of mdf so they are completely out of sight. As I said before, it's all in the planning ,which I hate. The fun for me is in the actual making.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    BrokenByAudio and Wes Moynihan like this.
  3. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

THE TRUTH COMES OUT! :):):):):biglaugh:

Glad you're enjoying the process. (At this point in my life it's all work to me and the last thing I really want to do is get buried in another woodworking project!!) I'm sure you have a greater appreciation of build quality, in general, than most people and that's absolutely a good thing.

PS, I take it the clock is your doing as well? Nice touch. Unlike you, I love the design process!

bever70 likes this.
  4. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

Well - just saw this thread and has move beyond original question to DIY discussion - that said, two things to say

1) Streaming peeps - pls stop suggesting to move to streaming - it is kind of obvious so I am pretty sure the OP either thought about it and discarded the idea or MORE LIKELY it was and it will never be an option. Not the point!

2) And yeah - to share my experience indeed - after the initial rush of enthusiasm coming back to vinyl after many years away, it was starting to become obvious that I had forgotten how much space the damn things take! :D

My solution is not in permanent storage but instead on this

Ultimate LP Storage Box used to easilly and safely store your LPs for extended periods of time

While of course, space is and will be limited and they will eventually pile up beyond manageability, they are a nice mid-term solution, flexible and well, expandable beyond any fixed solution.

Tnx!

v

bever70 likes this.
  5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

For what it's worth: The OP didn't actually stop buying LPs. Judging by his recent posts in the "What's Your Latest Vinyl Purchase" thread, He's actually been on a binge lately.

That, and the fact that the OP has long since abandoned this thread, is why the discussion has moved on, so to speak.

Maybe a Gort could re-title the thread with the addendum "Never Mind, Still Buying"...

bever70 likes this.
  6. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I'd like to slow down on buying vinyl and get some kind of set up where I can easily play lossless files on my stereo. Not sure how without either getting a seperate computer or lugging one from place to place.

7. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

FWIW, I've been making things from wood for decades and I'm not sure I've ever made anything that well. It's not easy, at least not for me. BTW--those are just about the best-looking hybrid towers I've ever seen. My congratulations.

bever70 and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well gentlemen, I splurged and ordered 6 LPBINS. The only doscount they offered was $6 off per unit in shipping, but I guess they didn’t have to offer anything. $420 in shipping is a killer, but I think $239 each is a bit lower than I would have guessed so what the heck. Also ordered 300 white dividers shipped for $189 off Ebay, which is a good price. Can’t wait to start flipping! If anyone want my Ikea Kallax units I have a few, but they would have to be picked up from the Denver area. Will probably sell them cheap just to move them out of here. They are blond colored as Ikea calls it, or a rather light wood color. PM if interested. I will put them in the classifieds soon.

Cyclone Ranger and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That shipping issue is probably hurting them far more than they think. I was hoping for a quantity discount on 6 to help but they wouldn’t do it. They probably should just raise the price and include it. That would be easier to suck up than doing what I did a couple nights ago. I ordered and then when the shipping filled in I bailed. My dad offered to pick up a huge part of the cost as a Christmas gift or I would not have ultimately ordered them. Nice dad! Mydad mentioned what you did in a sense. He thought I should buy just one, and then copy it and build the others. Would feel funny doing that, and I just don’t have the time. Not to mention they would probably last about five minutes with my much to be desired wood working skills!

bever70 likes this.
  10. bever70

Thanks man :oops:!
    The speakers are a Belgian design (designing speakers is probably the only thing we're good at besides cycling). They are now almost 30 years old and have been with me for all my 'adulthood', upgraded everything else but never felt the need/urge to upgrade these so they must be doing something good. I'm a sucker for soundstage, stereo image and depth and I feel they excell in that. Originally they are without the small square 'footstands', so even more slick-looking. But because of their highth they were very easy to tip over so after all these years I finally got them a bit more 'square-footed', just to prevent any heartbreak. I guess they would be my answer to the other thread "what if you had $5000...to buy one pair of speakers....for the rest of your life".
    Sorry for getting OT!

Archguy likes this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You should be able to get the same done in the US. Home Depot should do it. I'd look it up. Up here in Canadia, there's a local supplier who will take whatever plans you have and cut the wood for you. If we have it, the US must have it too. :)

bever70 likes this.
  12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

There are plans for similar bins available online. I can't recall the website but you should be able to find them with some googling.

bever70 likes this.
  13. bever70

Try this link: Photo by Pj Decoste
    Scroll left and right for more photos and plans. Left is model with 3 shelves on top of eachother, right is with 2.

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, already paid my $1800 bucks so doing it the easy way! My biggest hobby and I work my butt off so treating myself. But wow, thanks for the link. This is a great place as I always say!

Edit: I just looked...those would be pretty easy to build! Just don’t have time, but I bet others here will. Hope someone will post pix if so.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  15. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

No, I don't think so. What stores like HD will do is make a straight cut. They won't cut patterns. At least they didn't when I was looking at a project a few years ago. They will break down a piece of ply but all straight cuts.

eddiel and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah that could be the case here too come to think of it. They only cut straight cuts for me. We do have a local place that will cut any patter for you. They have a laser cutter and a cnc machine. I was thinking of getting them to cut out some record dividers for me out of 1/4" ply. :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

You might also want to consider masonite.

18. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Take a picture and commision a carpenter to build you one.

19. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Ditto. Me too. Out of space for LPs and the CDs is out of control.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. bever70

Well
    That's all you need no?! These are just straight cuts, get the straight cuts and if you need to shorten anything do it yourself with a small electric jigsaw (if that is the correct word in english?), been doing that for decades.

21. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

What a magnificent look. You demonstrate your knowledge and skill is several arenas: audio system design, interior design, furniture design, woodworking/finishing, and more. Interestingly enough, lacquer can be brushed, sanded and polished for a dazzling mirror finish but I'd rather spray it and polish to perfection. At any rate, someone earlier suggested that most folks do not have the wherewithal to engage in projects such as yours. I don't think it is wherewithal as much as it is subject interest, or concern for a quality result. Once again WOW! Thanks so much for the visual pleasure.

bever70 likes this.
  22. bever70

Much appreciated! Mirror finishes are not my cup of tea for interior design, I prefer a soft satin sheen. As you say,having an interest is always the first step!
    My wife has told me several times I missed a carreer in carpentry/woodworking but I suppose, when it becomes just a job I'd lose the fun in doing it, so.... Should get to renovating the whole damn living room, but I'm too deep into audio pleasure right now, lol. I actually had a lot of b&o stuff in our previous house, which I renovated from top to bottom, b&o headquarters picked up some of the photos I posted online and sent a professional photographer from Denmark over, just to be featured in their annual catalogue, which was very neat and and a nice reward for all the work I put into that house.

Sterling1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.