Were any Bowie RCA CDs pressed in the US?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

From what I have read and normally observed, David Bowie CDs on RCA were pressed in West Germany and Japan. I have a number of Bowie RCA CDs, and they were all pressed in West Germany or Japan except for one. My copy of Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf (RCA Red Seal) says "Made in U.S.A." on the disc. The matrix code has the characters in a dot-matrix style, which as a collector of first pressings from the early days would suggest to me that the disc was pressed at the Denon plant in Japan. I have never comes across another seemingly US pressing with the Denon-Japan matrix code style. Does anyone know what is going on with my disc?

I was told here once before that a US pressing of a Bowie RCA CD is quite unusual and that one normally sees copies of the Peter and the Wolf CD that say "Made in Japan." Are there other Bowie titles on RCA that say "Made in U.S.A."? If so, do they show the dot-matrix-type matrix code or some other type? Thanks in advance.

2. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

My RCA copy of Pinups was pressed in the USA by DADC

3. KeithH

Thanks for the info. So I assume that your disc has the DADC stamp in the plastic ring and the early CBS/Sony-style matrix code (legible characters with 11, 11A1, or something similar at the end). Interesting. I've always wondered how long the RCA Bowie CDs were in print. I guess some of the US releases were in print until at least '85 (when the DADC plant opened). It could have been later than that. My RCA copy of Ziggy Stardust that was released in Japan (with an R32P prefix in the catalog number) has a copyright date of 1986. It was pressed at the JVC plant.

I still wonder if my Peter and the Wolf CD was pressed in the US. Remembering that my disc has a Denon-style matrix code, did or does Denon have a pressing plant in the US?

4. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

Yep, it's stamped DIDX 180 11A1

5. KeithH

Grant, thanks.

I wonder if Denon pressed classical CDs in the US with the dot-matrix matrix code years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.